24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bleed the engine??? It's bleeding me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleed the engine??? It's bleeding me!

Quote from BlueChip website:
If you get fuel from all three lines you must bleed the engine to get it to run again
I changed my Lift Pump, now I can't get it to run. I'm guessing I need a Injection Pump but I need to be positive before I spend money that I don't have on one.

I followed the information on BlueChip to diagnose the IP on THIS PAGE.

I loosened three injector lines last evening and cranked the engine over for about 20 seconds at least 6 times. I got some (not much) fuel at all three injector lines. I think this tells me that the rotor isn't locked.

How do I "bleed the engine"?

1999 Ram 2500, 87,000 miles. New lift pump, new fuel filter. I'm getting good flow to the filter housing.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you changed the filter at the same time and did not fill the fuel housing you will need to fill the filter housing with fuel 1st. You can do this by bumping the starter(do not crank) and leave the key in the on position, this will cause the lp to run for 20 sec. Do this several times. At the same time you can also remove the brass plug (closest to the front) on the filter top, this is the post filter port. When you get good fuel flow from there put it back on and open the injector lines 1 and 3 at the head and continue with the bump procedure until good fuel flow starts. Tighten the lines back up and try to start, it may run a little rough but should smooth out.

Sorry if this is long.
PS. get a fuel pressure gauge so you don't toast the IP.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 AM

Thanks.

I did all of that, as I said above I do have good flow to the filter housing. I removed one of the brass plugs, inserted a 1/8" X hose barb fitting with some clear tubing and bumped the starter to see if the lift pump was pumping fuel to the housing, it was. So I am getting fuel that far.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:30 AM

Gotcha...... In my experience in changing over 20 lp's on my truck sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times of cranking with the lines open to get good fuel flow. Sometimes I have had to open all the lines one at a time. You might want to try a get a code reader and see if there are any codes even if you have no check engine light.

My gut feeling is: If it was running before the lp swap then it should run now and there is probably just alot of air in the lines.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Copenhagenjunkie
My gut feeling is: If it was running before the lp swap then it should run now and there is probably just alot of air in the lines.
I am sure hoping your gut feeling is a good one.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:21 PM

When I installed my big line kit and basically started with a re-filled (about 3/4 full then put the top w/new filter on with some spillage) filter housing but big lines with some air, I bumped the starter to get the free 25 sec. lift pump run 5 times to try get most of the air out. Upon starting, the engine missed a coupla seconds then cleared up.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 PM

I had much more trouble starting my truck when I changed my lift pump. My batteries were weak and I was supplimenting them with a charger on start mode. Took about a dozen 20sec cranks to get my lines bled. My gut feeling is the VP is ok.