Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   APPS/VP44/47RE and queer electrons (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/apps-vp44-47re-queer-electrons-80442/)

shortround 10-14-2005 05:58 AM

APPS/VP44/47RE and queer electrons

I've recently noticed a number of posts dealing with problems relating to the mentioned items. I also have had problems relating to those items.
Here is what I've found. GROUND, GROUND, GROUND [duhhh] [duhhh]
With the use of digital electronics on the later model vehicles, little gremlins, AKA voltage spikes, will drive the electronic controls nuts. Insure your battery connections are CLEAN. Check ALL the ground leads coming off of everything electronic and clean them to ensure good metal to metal contact. Unless the spike is large or for a long duration, you cannot see them with a DVM. I ended up hooking a digital storage scope to the DC source and recorded the output over a 45 minute period. UGLY looking trace. All kinds of grass growing out of the flat line. Noise was very noticable in the 1100 - 1500 rpm range.
Spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon cleaning ground AND B+ points. The problems I had went away and the truck runs like it has another 25 hp. Much smoother shifts and no gear hunting from the tranny. Overhead mpg indicates ~ a 1.7 mpg increase. Makes sense to me.
This public service message was brought to you by Shortround and the wonderful tools available in the Bat Cave.

ain'tlookinglikeanAPPSorIPanymoreShortround out

j-fox 10-14-2005 06:46 AM

Add some filters on it too. The electronic kind!
The folks who tried to engineer these trucks are beginers.

Mopar1973man 10-14-2005 08:25 AM

I gather to clean all your ground points down to metal again? I hope you put a bit of di-electric grease there to retard the rust growth. It would suck to have to chase it again...

Mike D 10-14-2005 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by shortround
I've recently noticed a number of posts dealing with problems relating to the mentioned items. I also have had problems relating to those items.
Here is what I've found. GROUND, GROUND, GROUND [duhhh] [duhhh]
With the use of digital electronics on the later model vehicles, little gremlins, AKA voltage spikes, will drive the electronic controls nuts. Insure your battery connections are CLEAN. Check ALL the ground leads coming off of everything electronic and clean them to ensure good metal to metal contact. Unless the spike is large or for a long duration, you cannot see them with a DVM. I ended up hooking a digital storage scope to the DC source and recorded the output over a 45 minute period. UGLY looking trace. All kinds of grass growing out of the flat line. Noise was very noticable in the 1100 - 1500 rpm range.
Spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon cleaning ground AND B+ points. The problems I had went away and the truck runs like it has another 25 hp. Much smoother shifts and no gear hunting from the tranny. Overhead mpg indicates ~ a 1.7 mpg increase. Makes sense to me.
This public service message was brought to you by Shortround and the wonderful tools available in the Bat Cave.

ain'tlookinglikeanAPPSorIPanymoreShortround out

Shortround, If it's not too much trouble, could you give us a brief run down of all grounds points to check.

Thanks