24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Apps

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apps

I know there are many threads on the APPS problems & solutions. Here is my problem , hoping someone can give me a solution. Yesterday, while riding down the road, my truck kind of stumbled & then started acting like it wasn't getting fuel, then it threw the CHECK ENGINE light. I have noticed when I turn, my Guage light comes on & my oil pressure guage fails for only a moment then the guage light goes off & the oil guage goes back to working. I took it to my dealer. Diagnosed the following codes, APPS malfunction or low voltage,lift pump pressure out of range, oil pressure sensor low voltage. I had the codes cleared & the truck went back to stumbling at low RPM's & the check engine light came back on. Performance doesn't seem to be impaired as long as I am on the accelorator,but if I back off, that is when it stumbles. I just got through doing the APPS reset,cleaned & tightened the battery cables & terminals. I still have all the above problems. Help me I have fallen & I can't get up. Thanks for any help anyone has to offer. Big
Old 04-29-2005, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnosed the following codes, APPS malfunction or low voltage,lift pump pressure out of range, oil pressure sensor low voltage
You might try resetting your APPS...

Do you have a fuel pressure guage? (Out of range error) Is your LP dieing on you???

Might want to clean your battery cables. Have your battery, cables and alternator tested. You have several errors with low voltage problem. Check you grounds straps...

What is the voltage of the battery while running?

Remember the alternator can't supply to much power at idle...
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Banned

My fuel pressure is fine I checked that. As I stated above I cleaned & tightened my battery terminals. I am not concerned about the lift pump code. I have a ignition hot running it so it has 13 volts all the time. That code doesn't affect performance,except to help in my opinion. Also I stated above that I just got through doing the APPS reset with no improvement or change. My voltmeter in the dash is reading right at 14 volts every time I have looked at it. So any good advice out there?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Banned

Come on guys can I get some help here?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Mine acted kind of like that when the lift pump was going out. I know you said you checked it. What about the fuel filter. I'm not sure if you have a guage, you might check it again.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

I have check engine lights on & some crazy electrical mess going on. I don't have a fuel pressure problem. Are there any APPS experts out there?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Banned

Old 05-01-2005, 11:31 AM

sure sounds like voltage problem - go through harness and check connections - unplug and clean etc - that includes all related ground connections - also check for worn spot on common hot lead that could be moving around and giving you a partial short - usually it'll be where work was done and harness is against sharp edge somewhere - good luck
Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Banned

Now my check engine light is gone, but the truck is still stumbling. Any ideas????
Old 05-02-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does the same thing when I make a fairly sharp left hand turn, on the throttle like I'm trying to beat someone onto the ramp like slow gravel laden dumptrucks droppin' little rocks all over the place an' chippin' the paint on my truck....**<>"&%$#@!!!!!! uh...sorry, and my fuel level is less than 1/4 tank.
It'll lose about half it's power regardless of the throttle being floored then after a few seconds, it'll pick up and run normal.
The fuel pressure guage shows near idle pressure so it's ok.
I've read somewhere if a sensor like coolant level is momentarily showing low, the power is reduced to half... kinda like the old gasser limp home on early electronic carburetor cars.
You might call the dealer and see if their diagnostic equipment has log file gathering capabilities so after being plugged into your diagnostic port and driving your truck around missing, catch what's going on.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

Thanks Clunk. I Load Tested both batteries today & they were fine. I had my dealer plug me up again. I showed APPS vlotage low. He cleared it out. I did the APPS reset on it. I think I may have fixed it. I don't know. It didn't cut up on the way home. I am still open to ideas though. I took the plug off of the back of the VP44. I knew I had one wire that was kind of knicked up. I have had eletrical tape on it for a while. I rewrapped it with some duct tape just to be sure.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Banned

Ok yesterday I was throwing a TPSlow voltage & a injectin pump low voltage code. Do I need a new TPS or do I have another problem? Check the pedal with computer hooked up. The APPS was working like it was supposed to. Is there any where to get a TPS besides Dodge? I am tired of the guessing game. Please advise.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some devices like APPS & MAP sensors are sent a bit of voltage from the computer called reference voltage and the voltage on the 2nd wire that gets back to the computer is input for the computer to use for doing things like sending more or less fuel or injection timing. Nobody likes tearing into a wiring loom but after disconnecting then reconnecting the devices to make sure of clean connections on your MAP & APPS, it may be needed.
I don't know if Cummins sells an APPS.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:59 AM

BIGHEAD,

My APPS went south on me last year @ ~96K miles.

Mopar4Less has some of the best prices I've found. The latest revision on Mopar P/N's when I bought mine were 53031576AD for the manual trans trucks and 53031576AH for the auto trans trucks.

check my APPS Replacement gallery on TDR for pics of the R&R
Old 05-04-2005, 10:16 AM

BIGHEAD, I just noticed you have an RV275 engine. I don't know if the above P/N's I listed are valid for your engine

Quick Reply: Apps