24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

5 speed or 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 speed or 6 speed

Looking for new truck, but I don't know if I should worry about getting the 6 speed or 5 speed. I will not be pulling that much and if I do it will under 7000 lbs. I will mostly use the truck for transportation to work and back. I do plan on bombing eventually to the 400 to 450 horse power range. Also should I worry about getting the heavy duty transfer case or will it be alright with the lighter duty trasfer case.

Thanks Corey
Old 08-27-2003, 09:40 PM

Re:5 speed or 6 speed

I had a 5 speed and now have a 6 speed. I prefer the 6 the ratio between 1 and 6 is more evenly split.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:51 PM

I've got one of each, both '02. I'll give you the pros and cons of both, in my opinion. 6-speed: good if your pulling a load. The ratios are closer. It's always in the powerband. If your unloaded, you've got to shift more than with the 5 speed. 1st gear is the same in both, and the higest gear in both is like.02 different or something like that. 5-speed: when your pulling heavy, you've got to go to 3,000+ rpm to have the next gear be in the powerband. Without a load, it's less shifting. The 5 speed clutch will hold more power. It's actually got more surface area than the 6-speed, don't ask me why. I got a Edge EZ for the 5 speed and thought it would be cool to put it on the 6speed for a day. I pulled it off after half a day because the clutch was slipping. Never have had a problem with the 5 speed. They are both good, if it was me, since you're not hauling a whole lot, I'd go with the 5 speed. That's why I got one for my personal truck. 6speed is great for towning, but lots of shifting. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:23 AM

I too have both. However, I definately like the 6 Speed MUCH better. In the 5 speed, the gap between 3rd and 4th is REALLY big. Plus, the 6 speed is MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger. The 5 speed is four speed with an assembly on the back to add the 5th gear. In this assembly is a small clutch, similar to whats in an automatic trans. This is prone to destruction on higher torque combos. They actually say your supposed to tow in 4th gear with the 5 speed. That sucks bad. The 6 speed is a true six speed with all gears and no aformentioned clutch in the back.
That said, the 5 speed is easier to drive though, and definately easier to shift harder and faster.
Bottom line, if you want to make 400 to 450 HP with a CTD youre gonna want all the trans strength you can get. I recomend the 6 speed.
I too have heard that the 5 speed clutch is bigger, but Dodge literature states that in 2001 years and up, the 6 speed clutch is 13" diameter, prior to 2001 6 speeds and all the 5 speeds have a 12 1/4" diameter.

Zino
Old 08-28-2003, 08:30 AM
KC

Not to knock the 5 speed but I read a piece that showed the 6 speed is twice as heavy as the 5 speed!

KC
Old 08-28-2003, 09:48 PM

Thanks guys for your response. I perrty much had it narrowed down to the 6 speed, but im still not sure about the transfer case whether I need a heavy duty or not. My future plans are to add a set of DD3,drag comp, 5 inch exhaust and HX 40 turbo.And of coarse all the gauges, clutch, and fuel system up grade.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:13 PM

AN ATS OR DTT AUTO would be funner!!!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 11:21 PM

Check out the other 2nd gen. forum. Somebody lost 5th gear today. Kinda ironic. I've never had a problem with the 5-speed, and I've also had one on a '00 dually with a V-10. Pulled all the time with it in 5th. Maybe I was lucky. If I had the choice, I'd get the heavy duty transfer case. I'm not sure how much stronger it is than the ligher one. I know the chain is a little wider, but that's all I can say.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I also have the 5 spd and I like it but this subject seems to be more personal choice than anything. What you are not hearing is that there was a lot of 6 spds with problems too. Any issues with the 5 spds are only 5th gear and that can be totally cured with spending a few hundred dollars and getting a fully splinned shaft. This doesnt mean all 5 spds loose 5th either. I dont know how much money the 6 spd problems cost. As for clutchs, the stock 5 spd holds more but the after market makes clutch combos that can hold just about any amount of power so that shouldnt be an issue. Power will determine this. Towing with the 5 spd for me is fine. The 3rd to 4th gear gap is a little big but not so bad that I cant tow what I want. I sometimes stay out of 5th unless Im on flat ground, pulling light, or pulling over 2,000 RPM. Towing in 6th would be nice for MPG but I would be carefull not to lug the motor. Any hills call for down shifting when towing heavy. Now for new trucks, well you wont be able to get the 5 spd next year and the 6 spd problems have supposedly been worked out. Plus you cant get the HO in a 5 spd but bombing an HO verse a non-HO, well thats a whole new topic. Yes get the HD transfer case. Why limit yourself? You may want it later and that would be an expensive fix or replacement. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:06 PM

Can some one show me a spec sheet that states that the 12 1/4" diameter 5 speed clutch used on a machine that came from the factory with a 450 Ft*lbs torque engine can hold more torque than the 13" clutch that came from the factory on a 500 Ft*Lb torque engine??

Zino

Old 08-30-2003, 01:13 AM

I know it sounds wrong but its true. I dont know of any spec sheet but ask the after market shops. It all has to do with the amount of surface material. The 5 spd has a smaller diameter but more material. The 6 spd has a larger diameter but less material. And quality of the material plays a part. If the clutch came from a batch that were not as good a quality as the other then it is more likely to slip sooner. As for the after market, well they have their own specs to gain strength.
And Zino, I'm not sure I have ever heard of the "small clutch" inside the 5 spd to get the extra gear out of a 4 spd? ??? I realize the 5th gear is external from the rest of the gears with a shaft that isnt fully splined. Where did you hear this? Just wondering.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:03 AM

Interesting on the clutch differences, I just wonder if the aftermarket isnt propegating this theory.

As for the small clutch in the back, I found out about it when I bought a NV4500 for my suburban and saw it in there!!! I checked it out pretty closely, and was quite surprised to learn how it worked. Again, its quite similar to an automatic. But instead of a planetary gear set, its a normal gear set, and a small clutch pack. When the transmission is in fith, it really is in forth, and this additional assembly in the rear engages the small clutch in the back assembly putting the additional gearing inservice which has a ratio of .73:1. Since the transmisison is in 'fourth' , .73 x 1 = .73:1 final ratio.

The six speed is a true 6 speed, all the gears in the case, and only dogs and syncros, no clutch pack.

I hope this attachement works, its a picture of the 5th gear assembly. Underneath the shiny alluminum piece is the clutch pack, on the end of the alluminum piece, you can see the rod which goes into the transmission. When you put it in fourth, this rod pulls that alluminum piece, clamping the clutch assembly together.

I believe that is how it works, but maybe I am mistaken and the 'clutch' is really just a wierd looking synchro??? Any transmission rebuilders here to weigh in??????

Zino
Old 08-30-2003, 09:18 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Zino, I didn't disassemble one of them buggers myself, but this looks just like the OD unit on a Toyota 5 speed tranny. There is no clutch that holds the 5th gear torque, but an external synchro that allows for sysnching until the teeth of the ring will engage with the teeth of the shaft.
The manual calls this synchro clutch. This clutch is not responsible for holding torque when in gear (opposed to automatics that have clutches transferring the torque)

(Sorry for my bad english)

AlpineRAM
Old 09-01-2003, 12:08 AM

Good picture Zino. As for that unit it looks like an over sized synchro to me. I cant amagine a little clutch pack like that holding any amount of torque especially without the pressure of hydraulics in an auto. And for it being a real 5 spd, I know what your saying but if it wasnt for the shaft that isnt fully splined (and should have been) I would have to say I am pretty impressed with the strength of the unit. ;D
Old 09-01-2003, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have my '99 NV4500 sitting on the shop floor with 183,000 miles on it, never let me down with all the weight I carry. It is also a much better shifting trans than the six speed. The gear ratios are worth the six speed though if you do any pulling.

Quick Reply: 5 speed or 6 speed