24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47RE acting odd....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47RE acting odd....

Alright, a little background, my trans is 14 months old, it has 15,000 miles on it since the rebuild. When rebuilt, it got a precision industries billet torque converter, transgo shift kit, all new electronics, all new clutches, steels, & bands, and a double deep pan.

The trans has been awesome since the rebuild, working perfect, and trans temps in the 140-175 range the whole time.

Heres the issue, today it started acting like the converter is not unlocking. When I stop at a light, the truck tries to push thru the brakes and keep moving. If I put the truck in neutral, everything is fine, but when I drop it in gear again, the truck almost stalls, then takes off on its own. All the gears are working fine, and the trans fluid is bright red. It just seems as if the convertor is stuck locked up.

Whats the deal?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GPSflyer
Alright, a little background, my trans is 14 months old, it has 15,000 miles on it since the rebuild. When rebuilt, it got a precision industries billet torque converter, transgo shift kit, all new electronics, all new clutches, steels, & bands, and a double deep pan.

The trans has been awesome since the rebuild, working perfect, and trans temps in the 140-175 range the whole time.

Heres the issue, today it started acting like the converter is not unlocking. When I stop at a light, the truck tries to push thru the brakes and keep moving. If I put the truck in neutral, everything is fine, but when I drop it in gear again, the truck almost stalls, then takes off on its own. All the gears are working fine, and the trans fluid is bright red. It just seems as if the convertor is stuck locked up.

Whats the deal?

Thanks in advance!
you hit the nail on the head, the converter lockup solenoid is bad.... a pretty easy fix, remove trans pan, remove filter, and you will see the assy.....Name:  P1010108.jpg
Views: 3700
Size:  46.5 KB
Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Thanks John! I'll grab a new solenoid tomorrow morning and throw it in there. Hopefully that fixes her up!

I'll update this thread when I swap it out.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:20 AM
Chapter President

Do not be alarmed if this does not fix the problem. The solenoids have about a 2 in 10 drop rate for failure. I'm just saying you might have to do it twice.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 PM

Well, I dropped the valve body today, and replaced the lockup/overdrive solenoids. And the truck is still doing the same thing. I tested the old solenoid on the bench, and it works fine.

Any other ideas?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:21 AM

spring broken in valve body not letting the return of the valve for lock up. i had this on mine and dave took care of me on it. ill see if i can get a pic where you need to look to see if its broke.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 AM

Well, I dropped the valve body today, and replaced the lockup/overdrive solenoids. And the truck is still doing the same thing. I tested the old solenoid on the bench, and it works fine.

Any other ideas?
here's a pic...

Name:  P1010113.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  47.2 KB
Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks again for the info guys,

I'll drop the pan and valvebody again tonight, and see if thats the issue. Shame on me for not pulling it apart yesterday when it was on the bench....

Well, I'll update this again when I check the spiring and barrel.

I should just have velcro holding the trans pan on, and wing nuts on the valvebody at this point!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Well, I pulled the pan & valvebody again, tore the valvebody apart, & everything is in good shape. All of the valves and barrels look great, and the springs are fine too. I replaced the valvebody again, but left the wiring disconnected from the trans. I started the truck up and it still does the same thing....
Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front clutch warped. It is trying to stay in 3rd. I've seen it before.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by j-fox
Front clutch warped. It is trying to stay in 3rd. I've seen it before.
Nope, its shifting thru all of the gears, starting in first.

And the converter is locked up in reverse too.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM

i think it's time to take it to an expert
Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
i think it's time to take it to an expert
I talked to a buddy today that works in the trans-lab at chrysler. As soon as I told him the symptoms, he said "plugged trans cooler". Im still not sure how that would affect lockup, but he told me to loop the cooler lines tomorrow, and bypass the coolers and try it out.

Cross your fingers....
Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 AM

I talked to a buddy today that works in the trans-lab at chrysler. As soon as I told him the symptoms, he said "plugged trans cooler". Im still not sure how that would affect lockup, but he told me to loop the cooler lines tomorrow, and bypass the coolers and try it out.

Cross your fingers....
if that's the problem, then we all learned something
Old 07-11-2009, 10:27 AM

I just started having the same problem. In the last 20,000 miles I have had 2 transmisions, rewired the apps sensor, adjust the voltage to the apps sensor. Suddenly the truck was shifting better then ever.Then all the sudden this shifting problem from park to drive or reverse, if i slam it into gear a few times, get the truck to a slow roll and start it from neatrul i can get it going, but stopping is ---king dangerous. The truck is at 1200 RPM's and when I lift my foot off of the break the truck accelerates to 25 mph before it stops acclerating, the tran only has 2300 miles on it. The dealership currently has it but the problem is intermitent and they do not see a problem.

Quick Reply: 47RE acting odd....