Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   is it true? Help (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/true-help-284323/)

ofcmarc 01-25-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dlowkes7 (Post 2912905)
i hope you are right lol. i dont like the thoughts i am having about this truck. its a good thing the wifes not home or she would be telling me to get rid of the thing.

Been there, Done that and got the t-shirt. at -40*F..........[redface]

It'll fire.:cool:

Dlowkes7 01-25-2011 12:03 PM

haha well i am going back out side now for about a fifth attempt to get her fired. its not as cold as -40 its actually warmed up alot since last night its about 25-30 here now not -25 like last night.

Dlowkes7 01-25-2011 12:05 PM

by the way ofcmarc, i bought blue led dash lights like you had in your post. i really liked they way your truck gauges looked all lit up. ill post a few pics when i put them in.

ofcmarc 01-25-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dlowkes7 (Post 2912921)
haha well i am going back out side now for about a fifth attempt to get her fired. its not as cold as -40 its actually warmed up alot since last night its about 25-30 here now not -25 like last night.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Dlowkes7 (Post 2912923)
by the way ofcmarc, i bought blue led dash lights like you had in your post. i really liked they way your truck gauges looked all lit up. ill post a few pics when i put them in.

Thanks!
I just ordered a few more for a couple other things.........;)

Dlowkes7 01-25-2011 12:40 PM

well thats a relief. i must have had a ton of air in my injector lines. i pump it with the lift pump a ton to save my battery. bumped it twice and then she fired up and smoothed out within a minute or two.. thank you guys so so much. if you ever see me make me buy you a beer. and thanks ofcmarc ill buy u a six pack.

ofcmarc 01-25-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dlowkes7 (Post 2912947)
well thats a relief. i must have had a ton of air in my injector lines. i pump it with the lift pump a ton to save my battery. bumped it twice and then she fired up and smoothed out within a minute or two.. thank you guys so so much. if you ever see me make me buy you a beer. and thanks ofcmarc ill buy u a six pack.

Good to hear![guitar]

thrashingcows 01-25-2011 01:43 PM

Good to hear that you got it going. I was going to suggest that your Factory Shut Down solenoid might be shot....glad I was wrong. :)

ofcmarc 01-25-2011 01:57 PM

FWIW,

I haven't gelled at all this winter. I attribute this to installing the Lp LP. Seems that the higher pressure than the stock diaphragm pump has been keeping the fuel flowing in the colder temps much better.

I used to change filters sometime in late September or October and then I'd gel up sometime in Dec/Jan when the bottom of the thermometer fell out. Not this year. [guitar] I didn't change filters this fall either just to see what happened.

If you are gonna live in the colder climes, piston LP is probably a real good idea.

BearKiller 01-25-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc (Post 2912990)
FWIW,

I haven't gelled at all this winter. I attribute this to installing the Lp LP. Seems that the higher pressure than the stock diaphragm pump has been keeping the fuel flowing in the colder temps much better.

I used to change filters sometime in late September or October and then I'd gel up sometime in Dec/Jan when the bottom of the thermometer fell out. Not this year. [guitar] I didn't change filters this fall either just to see what happened.

If you are gonna live in the colder climes, piston LP is probably a real good idea.

Agreed on the piston-lift-pump.

I have never yet had my truck in Alaska; but, I have driven in some very cold places, never using anything other than White-Bottle Power-Service and Walmart Two-Cycle Oil; I haven't gelled yet. [roll]

cougar 01-25-2011 07:10 PM

I learned my lesson a couple winters back. I mix my own winter blend. The only problem I have now is keeping a 10+ year old battery from freezing. I really need to replace that thing.
Personally, I would rather keep the fuel from gelling in the first place rather than forcing gelled fuel through the filter and into the injection pump.

ofcmarc 01-25-2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by cougar (Post 2913171)
I learned my lesson a couple winters back. I mix my own winter blend. The only problem I have now is keeping a 10+ year old battery from freezing. I really need to replace that thing.
Personally, I would rather keep the fuel from gelling in the first place rather than forcing gelled fuel through the filter and into the injection pump.

Well, unless I start cutting #1 with kero or unleaded(I have heard of that[redface]) my fuel ain't getting any thinner. I like the LPPP.:cool:

GLHS 01-27-2011 07:40 PM

A tip for those who just got a truck fired up after gelling and trying to prevent it in the immediate future if your tank is not full.

Go fill it up, with an additive if you can, right away.

The fuel coming from the underground tanks at stations is a lot warmer than what's in your rig after sitting all night/day.

BearKiller 01-27-2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by GLHS (Post 2914469)
A tip for those who just got a truck fired up after gelling and trying to prevent it in the immediate future if your tank is not full.

Go fill it up, with an additive if you can, right away.

The fuel coming from the underground tanks at stations is a lot warmer than what's in your rig after sitting all night/day.

Reading this sort of put my mind's gears [deadhors] to working and I had a thought. :o

It would be interesting to know at what fuel-tank level the majority of the gelling episodes occur.

I highly suspect that most true gelling incidents occur when there is a quarter-tank or less.

I know, I know, there are several who have just left the fueling station and in less than a mile their filter has clogged and the engine has shut-down.

If it is cold weather, then they assume they have gelled without good evidence to prove the fact.

99% of those cases are due to the in-rushing of the fuel stirring up the trash that resides inside the tank and are not the fault of the new fuel.

That being said, I think it would be interesting if everyone that does have a gelling episode were to note the level of fuel in the tank that they were drawing from when the event occurred.

A puddle freezes over long before the pond ices up; I am curious to know if the same logic applies where our fuel is concerned. :cool:

cougar 01-28-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc (Post 2913219)
Well, unless I start cutting #1 with kero or unleaded(I have heard of that[redface]) my fuel ain't getting any thinner. I like the LPPP.:cool:

Your fuel probably comes from Flint Hills. I hear they do a better job on consistency because someone is always stand over their shoulders. Ours probably comes from Tesoro in Kenai. I have learned not to trust their or the fuel stations consistency.

foxtrot 01-29-2011 05:46 AM

Interesting here, I would have thought #1 was better all around since it was #1, I guess #1 isnt good for anything much, but less parafin.