1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Truck Rebuild Process

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Truck Rebuild Process

I will update as I go along. So much has happened since the accident that now it is time to do some stuff and get it back to its former glory No sense putting a oily engine into a truck that has hardly any rust

Ok, I pulled the engine last Thursday. Pulled something in my back and left it until yesterday. Yesterday I took off the serpentine belt, alternator, all the wiring, any hoses not needed while degreasing, and commenced degreasing. I used 1.25 cans of aerosol Engine Degreaser. After I used it up I took a hose to it and got most of the grease off. Oh shoot! Not enough! I thought I would have to run back to my parts store and get some more. So as I was looking at the front of the engine, I thought, KDP. Better do it while it is out. I couldn't find a way to get the fan off. So after messing with it for about a hour, I called it quits. I go in and shower and get on DTR. I find out there are 4 bolts that hold the fan up. Didn't see those. Then I went to bed, got up went to work, and started this afternoon.

After reading everything on here about the KDP, I went to O'Reilly's to get some gaskets, lok-tight, and a 10mm wrench that I couldn't find. So on order from O'Reillys are oil pan gasket and front main seal kit. They are great guys there! I went to buy a tube of lok-tight and he said hold on there. I have one that I opened up this afternoon and only used a bit. I got nearly a full tube of red lok-tight for $8 vs the $14 for a new tube! The kit was about $30. Will be in tomorrow. So I get home, take off the fan, degreased using the jug of purple power I had that I forgot about, wrestle the 15mm bolts on the vibration damper, and get the case off. Now where is it... Whew! It is still about 1/2" deep in the hole. Make a coat hanger tab, add lok-tight and viola! Now I will wait until the weekend to get the seals and gasket. Until then I need to pull the tranny and transfer case.

I can't wait until the new truck gets here! Gonna do some sprucing up to the engine (new paint and seals) tranny and transfer case.

This saturday I will hopefully pick up the truck. WOOT!

Jon
Old 08-21-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can take the whole fan and fan clutch off by loosening the big nut be behind the fan clutch
Old 08-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Ok. I just did some more today. I have painted approximately 2/3 of it. Sorry but the paint colors are to remain, um, undercover I will either post them when it is done OR I will let the guys who come to SOP #4 see it first and get their reactions. Lets just say, it is different which I am and do like.

While I was at it, I did the oil pan gasket. I thought I got all the bolts but didn't realize that there were 4 more hidden between the tranny mount and the deep end of the pan, what ever that back plate is called.

Tomorrow, I will hopefully get the front main seal done, timing cover painted, and the tranny and transfer case done.

I did not get the truck this weekend due to title issues. Since the truck came form Wyoming, and the current owner never transfered it to his name, he sent it back to get it renoterized (sp?). Well the previous owner got busy and didn't get to the courthouse as of Friday. So hopefully he will get it done next weekend and have the title priority mailed. Just make the wait for the truck a little sweeter. I just can't wait for it. I feel like a kid at Christmas time

Jon
Old 08-26-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats your replacement truck gona be?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:13 PM

91.5, LE, W250 Std Cab. Silver with red pin striping. 1 spot o' rust and very clean. As I see it, I am upgrading in value. It also has no type of hitch on it from the pics I have seen.