Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   trans cooler flush (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/trans-cooler-flush-295003/)

MARF75 09-15-2011 07:05 PM

trans cooler flush

I have my under the bed trans cooler out of the loop right now.

I would like to flush it out before I install it.
I was thinking of using a siphon gun and some mineral spirits to give it a good rinsing.

What does everybody think? Any suggestions?

CaptainChrysler 09-15-2011 07:32 PM

Are you talking a hand powered siphon gun? That should work, but they usually take a little pressure to push fluid through them. Most siphon guns I have been around are a drippin' mess.

I like to use an electric pump to push the solvet through. They actually sell a aerosol product specifically designed for the job, it even threads onto the cooler line. They never seem to fit the lines I am working on though. It is Lubriguard brand IIRC.

I don't want to sound like a snake oil guy, and could care less what you flush it with, just flush it. You would be surprised how many transmissions are ruined from a plugged cooler. Even if it is not totatlly plugged, Lord knows what kind of junk is waiting to get dumped in your box. It's another lesson I learned the hard way. [nonono]

MARF75 09-15-2011 07:51 PM

Thanks for your input Captain!
I'm actually talking about a pneumatic siphon gun.like a blow gun with a vinyl draw tube that hooks in right before the output of the bloww gun.

I have used the aerosol type flush but I don't see it adapting well to the 1/2" rubber line on the cooler.I'm sure it could be adapted to it but I have the siphon gun and mineral spirits right here on the shelf.

Should I just let the cooler sit for a day or 2 after flushing to let the spirits evaporate as to not get it in the trans?good enough?

CaptainChrysler 09-15-2011 08:57 PM

That kind of gun ought to work good, but it might take longer as it will be more of a mist/ spray than a constant flow. It does work better to flush it out "backwards" from normal flow, too. Run it through untill it is coming out clean, then flush the other way. Then I would just blow it out with compressed air and call it good.

I would seal up the lines/fittings if you are not going to plumb it in right away.

MARF75 09-15-2011 09:18 PM

While i have your attention,is the direction of flow through the cooler critical? I took this thing out of the truck a year ago and now I dont remember what hose went where[duhhh].
I looked through the FSM and didn`t find a picture or diagram.:o

downhome 09-16-2011 08:36 AM

Might consider taking it to a radiator shop to get it flushed too, that's all they do. Had to have a fuel tank flushed once (disgruntled ex with a cup of sugar), and it was cheap. A little radiator is probably very cheap.

Don't know about the direction of flow. Just installed a new one and there was nothing in the installation directions about direction of flow, so I paid no attention to it. There was nothing stamped on the new radiator either.

Jim Lane 09-16-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MARF75 (Post 3019638)
While i have your attention,is the direction of flow through the cooler critical? I took this thing out of the truck a year ago and now I dont remember what hose went where[duhhh].
I looked through the FSM and didn`t find a picture or diagram.:o

MARF75
I have the install manual I will post as soon as I can find it.

Jim

Jim Lane 09-22-2011 06:56 AM

Super Duty Transmission Oil Cooler

9 Attachment(s)
Here is the Factory Install Manual

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...OilCooler1.jpg

Attachment 61237

Attachment 61238

Attachment 61239

Attachment 61240

Attachment 61241

Attachment 61242

Attachment 61243

Attachment 61244

Attachment 61245

Jim Lane 09-22-2011 06:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 61232

Attachment 61233

Attachment 61234

Attachment 61235

Attachment 61236

Jim

DodgeFreak 09-22-2011 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MARF75 (Post 3019564)
Should I just let the cooler sit for a day or 2 after flushing to let the spirits evaporate as to not get it in the trans?good enough?

once done blow it out with dry air really well and you should be good to go, also i'd flush it both ways once forwards then reverse flow then probably back the otherway to help break up the crud. then maybe run a garden hose to it to flush it out then blow it out really good.

ChrisLib 09-22-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeFreak (Post 3022636)
once done blow it out with dry air really well and you should be good to go, also i'd flush it both ways once forwards then reverse flow then probably back the otherway to help break up the crud. then maybe run a garden hose to it to flush it out then blow it out really good.

Compressed air is ok, just don`t go pounding 100-120 psi thru the cooler...they don`t like that too much [laugh]. NO garden hose/water in the ATF lines, clutch discs get REAL [verymad][verymad][verymad] when they are exposed to water (even a little).

MARF75 09-29-2011 04:16 PM

Hey Jim, thanks for the install manual!:cool: