1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

trannies

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trannies

I'm planning on buying a 1st gen dodge diesel truck in a month or so, and have been warned to watch out for tranny problems, with the overdrive in the auto and with everything in the 5 speed, which is what I prefer. Is there anything especially weak or problematic in the 5 speed that I should look out for?<br><br>thanks<br>
Old 01-05-2003, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:trannies

From what I heard , the Getrag is as bad as the owner used it.<br> Meaning if it was abused you might have problems. I have it in my truck w/92k and no problems(knock on wood) yet.<br>It's a very slow shifting tranny, and doesn't appreciate speed shifting. As far as the auto you'll have to wait for someone else to add there comments.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:50 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

The O.D. in the autos are fine. I towed even with the stock one all the time. O.D. looked like new when taken apart. The stock tranny only failed when I was over 250 hp and was stuck in a snow bank and giving it. Still was able to drive home 5 hours and drive around for a week before being able to get it into DTT for a full rebuild. It all comes down to how hard you abuse the trannies. Tranny is now built for over 500hp with line preasures turned up, tc, vb and added clutch in pack.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:54 PM

I bought my 92 back in June with Auto tranny from my wifes uncle. He used it to pull his 5th wheel to the lake and back. Only had 72K when we bought it, but 85K now. I have weight tickets where he scaled it at 17,000 gross, and never had a problem. But I left a redlight after Thanksgiving, about 100 feet down the road it acted like it popped out of gear. A gear on the input shaft broke, Tow truck and $1800.00 later, it shifts &quot;OK&quot;, just softer than it did. My main complaint is the 3-4 and 4-3 shifts. It must be a FEMALE tranny, because it has a mind of it's own......... . I didn't think I'd like it, but I LOVE the auto, don't have to wear my leg out pushing a clutch, and it leaves my right hand free to play with my babies leg on long trips , no jamming gears and cracking her knee caps
Old 01-06-2003, 12:12 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Hey PumpDaddy,<br><br>I'd like to suggest that you can improve the 3-4, 4-3 shifting by doing what I've noted in the post on this page...<br><br>http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/i...;threadid=9065<br><br>Also, if you want to firm up all the shifts a bit, you can use Dexron II ATF, or Dexron III if you can't find II.<br><br>Bob.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:53 PM

Thanks Bushy,<br> I was going to check the TSP but a NIMROD at the shop didn't tell me he fried the V/O meter. The tranny shop said that they put dexron back it when built. I also saw some where on here about the line presuures for each gear and where to check them. I think it said idle was 60 psi and some other was 110??? correct me if i'm wrong. I've called the shop and supposed to take it back this week to be checked. I just want to know what I'm talking about when I do, don't want to open mouth A and insert foot B, but I still like the auto, I wonder if Allison makes one to go in it?
Old 01-06-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just truned 200,000 on my 5spd 4x4 orginal tranny as far as I know. I agree you do not want to be slamming gears in it. Although I know that my truck is pumped just above stock and hasn't had a hole lot of heavy towing. One thing to look out for is the synchros, but they are not to expensive to replace.

Check out www.standardtransmission.com/dodge.html for more info on the Getrag