Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   TPS/potentiometer (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/tps-potentiometer-132496/)

One Tree 01-16-2007 03:30 PM

TPS/potentiometer

i saw it in the sticky...... has any one tried it?? how did it work out for you?

gman07 01-16-2007 05:03 PM

I have one in my truck. It works fine; I usually don't mess with it. I leave it in one spot; I just used the potentiometer because I didn't want to buy a $150+ sensor.

As for wiring it, just think of the TPS as an upside down potentiometer.

hoghead 01-16-2007 06:17 PM

works great and was easy if you follow the directions.

One Tree 01-16-2007 07:03 PM

you mean the directions in the sticky???

where did you get the potentiometer??
do i have to clip wires or can i get a plug???

MJDiesel 01-16-2007 10:08 PM

I replaced the Bendix switch (which didn't work correctly like a stock TPS) with a potentometer, while following info found here to install it. It is a linear taper unit like needed, but I really cannot adjust the shift point. It either does or does not shift depending on how it is adjusted, but the shift point is still better than with the Bendix

th_racer 01-16-2007 11:35 PM

Worked great for me

and i have had no trouble adjusting it. I made mine shift a little earley.
also I took a vitamin bottle, drilled a hole in the lid, ran the wires through it, siliconed the hole up then hooked all the wires up and put the pot inside bottle and shut her up . has worked for 18 months flawlessly and never got wet. Got pot at radio shack, had a bunch of em' and just clipped wires and put female spades on em'

DBF 01-17-2007 12:37 AM

Mine works fine. I drilled a hole in the dashboard plastic & put the pot in the space under the headlight switch.

I didn't put a knob on it - I want it to stay put. I played with it until I found a setting that has OD come in at 38mph minimum throttle & 55 or so WOT.

Only thing missing is kickdown out of OD, but I can handle that.

Regards, DBF

One Tree 01-17-2007 04:59 PM

so heres the deal..... i lost my tranny a while back, had a new one put in... ever since i cant get out of third( no overdrive)... I'm told to replace the turbo, i do, it didnt help.... so i check the intercooler. Sure enough it's got some leakage. So while i'm saving up for the new intercooler i read the flash codes in the sticky... I get the code that says my TPS is shorted or open... so i figure i'll try on of those or this potentiometer... Today on the drive home the old girl kicked into overdrive !![guitar] but quickly went right back out.[verymad] so whatya guys think?¿?¿?¿?

wannadiesel 01-17-2007 05:02 PM

Sounds like the TPS is flaky.

wannadiesel 01-17-2007 05:04 PM

Oh, and whoever is giving you advice on fixing your truck is a nitwit! [dummy] Stop listening to him/them.

One Tree 01-17-2007 06:33 PM

thanx man..... to ease your mind it was no one from here!!!

Jims92CTD 01-19-2007 11:15 AM

Potentiometer

Replacing the TPS with a potentiometer is the best move you can make. I did mine several years ago and never a problem. Just remember there is no KICK DOWN out of overdrive when passing at full throtle, use the button.

I used a ten turn linear potentiometer.

Jim

sdstriper 01-19-2007 07:42 PM

From what I gather here and other places the Potentiometer is the ticket, that and put the 2nd Gen OD column shifter in so the button is easier access.

yfz450guy 01-19-2007 07:53 PM

this is new to me. so please excuse my late questions to this topic.
what is the point of the mod? so you can adjust the shift points? will it work on my truck? can someone please put a link to the sticky if it apllies to me? thanks for the help. [coffee]

wannadiesel 01-20-2007 09:12 AM

The sticky is at the top of the 1st gen page, go back one level from here and you'll find it.

The TPS is a potentiometer that moves with the throttle. Trouble is, it craps out frequently and costs around $150. Replacing the TPS with a pot allows OD to work again cheaply.

If you're talking about the '01 in your sig, no. It will not work because on your truck the TPS/APPS is the throttle. This will work on any 12 valve truck.