Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Timing Spacer Install (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/timing-spacer-install-324420/)

hfletcher 02-25-2016 06:39 PM

Timing Spacer Install

How do you remove the two bolts securing the KSB? I tried in vain for over two hours today. Finally figured the bolts are torx 30 - is that correct? My torx 30 didn't want to go in so I tried torx 27. It went in, but slipped and buggered things up a bit. I don't figure its fatal, since I can drive the torx 30 in and save the day - if I can get a little hammer clearance - couldn't tonight. Any way, worse case scenario I gotta drill out the torx bolt heads which would require a close 90* drill, which I have (air). Are torx bolts hardened? As another alternative, do some of you remove the vacuum pump assy? Seemed that would have given me improved access, but all I recall is everyone saying this job is easy. Not for me!!!!!!!! Anyway, now that I've been home for an hour I feel better. [coffee] Thanks for the help

Vader93 02-25-2016 08:59 PM

I've been in your exact situation before. Trust me, take the vaccum pump off. Either 2 or 3 bolts and it's so much easier. I've broken the little plate that holds the spring in as well. It's like $100+ for that little plate. :o luckily i found a diesel shop that just gave me one when i bought an HT60 exhaust housing from them ($20:D ) so i cant complain. But trust me, take the vaccum pump off

Vader93 02-25-2016 09:01 PM

Make sure you don't lose any of the little shims that tend to fall out when you take that plate off

j_martin 02-25-2016 11:05 PM

I went at mine. got one loose, stripped the other.

It'll have to wait till I get time to pull the pump and put it on the bench. I'll do a coupla mods and reseal it at that time.

bigragu 02-26-2016 12:27 AM

TMan, I don't have that pic of the miracle tool...shall we help this man?

j_martin 02-26-2016 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu (Post 3297707)
TWolf, I don't have that pic of the miracle tool...shall we help this man?

I have the bolt extractor that will easily get the stuck stripped screw out, but I'm getting klutzy enough that I would rather have some nice clean workbench under the parts I drop.

bigragu 02-26-2016 08:18 AM

HFletch, hang tight. As soon as NJTMan sees this tread he will post a pic of a tool guaranteed to pull those bolts out, w/ no removal of any components. Check it out: him and I owned that M&H spacer for almost a year, but not on our trucks mounted, but sitting on our work benches, LOL, cause him and I stripped out one of the heads of those T bolts. One day I was at the local O'rileys, and found a set of these nut driver type extractors. Long story short, NJTMan used the same toolage and it was a piece of cake to remove. Hell post up the pic of that...he's probably coming in about now from an all nighter plowing snow!

bigragu 02-26-2016 08:27 AM

Use the search feature, type in M&H spacer. I believe either page 2 or 3 there is my post" finally 8 months later and the M&H spacer is on!" Read on that one, Fletch, and it will show a pic of that tool. Made by Irwin. Either myself or TMan sort of describes the removal procedure

NJTman 02-26-2016 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu (Post 3297707)
TMan, I don't have that pic of the miracle tool...shall we help this man?

Took seconds to get it out with this tool recommended by the Big Ragoo (AKA MR. Magoo)

NJTman 02-26-2016 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu (Post 3297722)
, NJTMan used the same toolage and it was a piece of cake to remove. Hell post up the pic of that...he's probably coming in about now from an all nighter plowing snow!

I WISH !

It's been like spring here since the last storm, which was weeks ago.

Financially, this year (so far) has been a bust. No snow to plow, and no work because it's cold. I wish it would either snow or get to 60* F and stay there.

bigragu 02-26-2016 08:33 AM

Sorry to hear.

j_martin 02-26-2016 08:34 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...63743f4485.jpg

bigragu 02-26-2016 08:38 AM

JMartin, yeah, those would work, same concept. I wish I spotted your tool first, when at the O'rileys, but noticed the nut driver, drill motor style tool attachment first. Shortly after I spotted your tool, and now own both

j_martin 02-26-2016 12:05 PM

I've used mine on a couple of problems. They bite like a pit bull.

mknittle 02-26-2016 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3297725)
I WISH !

It's been like spring here since the last storm, which was weeks ago.

Financially, this year (so far) has been a bust. No snow to plow, and no work because it's cold. I wish it would either snow or get to 60* F and stay there.

That Sux pond water:( Strange weather here too.