Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Ramcharger Tank in 1st Gen (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/ramcharger-tank-1st-gen-79488/)

mhuppertz 10-02-2005 10:14 PM

Ramcharger Tank in 1st Gen

Is it true that a late 80's, early 90's Ramcharger/Trailblazer fuel tank will fit a 1st Gen? I know where one is, and am trying to horse trade for it. [deadhors]
The spare tire area is useless for anything else!

Holsteinman 10-02-2005 10:33 PM

A Ramcharger one will fit. You might run into clearance issues with the exhaust. Do you mean Trailduster? Trailblazer is a GM product, a think Chevy.

mhuppertz 10-02-2005 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Holsteinman
A Ramcharger one will fit. You might run into clearance issues with the exhaust. Do you mean Trailduster? Trailblazer is a GM product, I think Chevy.

I just washed my mouth out with soap for getting the name wrong! [eyecrazy] Yes, I meant TrailDuster. Thanks for the info.

SmokinFive9 4x4 10-02-2005 11:01 PM

There's also a tank available from American Designers thats made to fit late-80's F-series pickups. Its flat on top and fits in the same area on those trucks where the spare tire space would be. I imagine you'd be able to make it fit with some creative mounting. Only reason I mention this is because the Ramcharger tanks are like what? 18 gallons? This is 30. Quite a bit deeper but if you don't do trails I doubt it sits low enough to be a problem. No lower than a hitch anyways. Make a heck of a range with the stock tank. 60+ gallons? at even 15mpg that's 900 miles. it's 300 bucks if I remember right but if you look at some of the aftermarket high capacity tanks that's like 1/3rd the cost.

12vchevydually 10-03-2005 10:15 AM

My 84 Ramcharger has a Stock 34 gal Tank.

mhuppertz 10-03-2005 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 12vchevydually
My 84 Ramcharger has a Stock 34 gal Tank.

That's what I was thinking. 34gal is bigger than my stock tank and would be plenty for a tank 2 installation...

Winr 10-03-2005 04:09 PM

The easiest way to install the Ramcharger/Trailduster tank is to remove the last two frame crossmembers from the R/T and install them in your frame then the tank bolts right in. There is enough room for the exhaust ( thats where it is on the R/T)
It sounds harder than it is.

Mcmopar 10-03-2005 04:19 PM

You actually need the last 3 cross members. The one at the back has the holes for the "J" bolts, the center one is support/stiffening of the frame, and the third one is where you connect the straps. The straps, bolts, etc. are still available through Chrysler.

Winr 10-03-2005 05:25 PM

I dont have the center (stiffining) on mine nor recall the Ramecharger frame I removed it from having one. There is however a crossmember spot welded to the floor of the Ramcharger, is that what you are speaking of ? If it is, it's part of the rear floor support and not part of the frame and is not required.

cLAYH 10-03-2005 05:38 PM

I'm stripping a RC next week and am keeping the tank for my truck.

Any tips on fuel line routing and switch mounting? I'm guessing a 4 port swt will be nessecary for the return line?

Winr 10-03-2005 07:08 PM

I think I have an extra switch on the shelf ( NAPA Brand) I'll try to find it and post the part #.

mhuppertz 10-03-2005 09:04 PM

What are the common years, 80-93?

vinny 10-03-2005 10:13 PM

I was thinkin' about this too...

I have the tank but the "charger" is long gone...looks like I'll be fabbing-up some mounts, etc...

How many wires go to the fuel gauge sending unit? What kind of dual position switch would you use on it?
I'm thinkin' running on the Aux tank till it stutters is NOT going to work on our trucks. :rolleyes:

Vinny

12valve@heart 10-03-2005 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by vinny
I'm thinkin' running on the Aux tank till it stutters is NOT going to work on our trucks. :rolleyes:
Vinny

I hate to admit it but it actually does work. [redface] Don't recommend it but it does work. [whistle] I have an auxillary bed-mounted tank and the sending unit doesn't work. I try to watch mileage and switch before I run out but I have run out several times and when the power quits, I just reach down and flip to the other tank. Another 5 seconds of coasting in gear and she roars back to life. Obviously, an auto trans would be a different story.

vinny 10-04-2005 01:52 AM

Yeah, I got an auto...

I'm thinkin', hummm...

Maybe some serious recreational time on the side of the road with a 11/16 wrench... [laugh]

Vinny