Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Photobucket pic work around gone... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/photobucket-pic-work-around-gone-329819/)

thrashingcows 02-15-2018 02:16 AM

Photobucket pic work around gone...???

Well seems like photobucket finally got around to putting a patch on the work around on the missing pics, was working yesterday...not working today. The adding the "~original" to the pic URL is no longer working.

I checked the pics in my build thread and all the previously fixed pics are back to the pic ransom notice.:( Glad I got everything archived when I did. ;)

NJTman 02-15-2018 06:20 AM

We are glad you did what you did, as well.

oliver foster 02-15-2018 06:49 AM

Thanks for doing that Thrashing!

Shelby/Dakota 02-15-2018 11:01 AM

thanks for the tremendous effort you put into archiving the threads.

Lary Ellis (Top) 02-15-2018 11:23 AM

Thanks for all your effort, members like you are what makes a place like this :)

MrFusion 02-15-2018 06:58 PM

Thanks Tcows!

Unfortunately I can't adequately express my consternation towards Photobucket on this forum. Or maybe I should say Photof*ctus...

thrashingcows 02-16-2018 12:03 AM

I see that they have dropped their extortion fee to $99.....guess someone finally explain basic economics 101 to them. ;) You get 1000 people willing to pay $100 is way more money in your pocket then 100 people willing to pay $400.

I personally will not pay them a single cent due to their obvious greed and ransom tactics. Glad I got most of my threads archived while I could. :D

maybe368 02-17-2018 02:50 PM

Archived sticky

I just checked and the photobucket pics in the sticky are not there. But, they are here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hreads-329182/ ...Archived with pics and all...Mark

edwinsmith 02-17-2018 03:09 PM

I did the original drawings for this thread about how the getrag 360 shifter works and how it gets stuck between gears.

http://web.archive.org/web/201711021...-works-148533/

I still have the drawings but I couldn't edit the original sticky. My next post in this thread will be the edited 1st post of that original thread if an administrator would like to fix it.

Edwin

edwinsmith 02-17-2018 03:12 PM

Getrag Shifter - How it Works

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...cf60c20039.jpg

OK, in the view on the left the transmission is in Neutral. There are 3 rods which slide forward and back. Each rod has a fork on it and the fork is in the gear synchronizers. Also attached to each rod is a slot and the 3 slots are arranged side by side which is what is shown above.

The end of the shifter tang is depicted by the red rectangle in the middle. It is in between 2 spring loaded buttons which hold it in the middle. To shift into 1st gear the shifter tang moves to the right,against the spring and back (the opposite of how you move the ball). To go to second you move the shifter tang straight forward.

If the tang or the slots get worn excessively the tang may slip sideways on the 2/3 shift before the 1/2 fork has moved completely into neutral. Because there is another mechanism (not shown) which prevents the transmission from going into 2 gears at once the shifter tang cannot move either of the other two forks until the 1/2 fork is back in neutral. Because the synchronizers (I think) have a detent which holds it in gear it will slide the 1/2 fork fully back into 2nd. Then the tang is blocked from getting back into the 1/2 fork and cannot move the other forks because of the blocking mechanism. This situation is depected in the view on the right.

maybe368 02-18-2018 10:30 AM

It appears that the photobucket un-workaround has also hit the archives. I checked a few threads and the pics are gone. Hopefully an un-un-workaround is in the works [duhhh]...Mark Ok, I checked a few more threads and the pics ARE there so The archiving did save the pics...Mark

MrFusion 02-18-2018 12:06 PM

I only had about 100 pics in Photof*ctus but they were all stored on my computer so I deleted my account.

I know that a few of us have suggested to DTR that the site expand its photo hosting ability. I for one would be willing to pay a reasonable annual fee to use this type of service. It makes more sense for DTR to host photos so a third party host cannot steal photos from the forum and effectively decrease its informational value and ultimately its ad revenue.

thrashingcows 02-18-2018 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368 (Post 3344248)
It appears that the photobucket un-workaround has also hit the archives. I checked a few threads and the pics are gone. Hopefully an un-un-workaround is in the works [duhhh]...Mark

The stuff saved on The Wayback machine?

thrashingcows 02-18-2018 03:55 PM

Just went through a bunch of my old fixed threads....all the pics are not working. The photobucket extortion pics that were there a couple days ago are now working again. As well as all the pics in the threads I saved to the wayback machine are still working fine.

edwinsmith 02-18-2018 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrFusion (Post 3344257)
I only had about 100 pics in Photof*ctus but they were all stored on my computer so I deleted my account.

I know that a few of us have suggested to DTR that the site expand its photo hosting ability. I for one would be willing to pay a reasonable annual fee to use this type of service. It makes more sense for DTR to host photos so a third party host cannot steal photos from the forum and effectively decrease its informational value and ultimately its ad revenue.

Exactly WHAT is the DTR policy as far as how much photo storage is allowed? When I post pics I always upload them to DTR I think.