1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

oil cooler/inner gear housing/KDP

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil cooler/inner gear housing/KDP

so, rocky mtn Cummins says they need a death certificate before they can release any info about my late father's 92 350D. On Dec. 11th 2001 they replaced the oil cooler and the inner gear housing gasket (i have no idea what either of these are). This much they can tell me. But to get a copy of the invoice showing all of the work done I have to drive there in person to prove my relation to Bob Miller, as his son. Will do. In the mean time, can anybody tell me about the oil cooler? I am a newbie. I am broke, I do not have any money to throw at it right now. I just need to know if the KDP has been tabbed or removed. Is replacing the oil cooler a process that would involve tabbing of the KDP? What about the inner gear housing? Would that involve the KDP? Sorry for sounding stupid but I am learning more as I go. It seems to run fine. I'm getting about 20 miles per gallon. It has fourteen year old rubber though! Getting some decent used 16s is my first priority. Should I worry about balancing four used tires for the rear or just burn em and turn em? Probably just personal preference. Anyway, thanks for your time. I am slow to respond to email, so call me Dave at 720-404-9349 for faster response. Peace, DM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm wondering how anyone at RMC remembers what was done to an engine they worked on over 10 years ago? Even if you managed to get ahold of the person who actually did the work?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmiller4747
so, rocky mtn Cummins says they need a death certificate before they can release any info about my late father's 92 350D. On Dec. 11th 2001 they replaced the oil cooler and the inner gear housing gasket (i have no idea what either of these are). This much they can tell me. But to get a copy of the invoice showing all of the work done I have to drive there in person to prove my relation to Bob Miller, as his son. Will do. In the mean time, can anybody tell me about the oil cooler? I am a newbie. I am broke, I do not have any money to throw at it right now. I just need to know if the KDP has been tabbed or removed. Is replacing the oil cooler a process that would involve tabbing of the KDP? What about the inner gear housing? Would that involve the KDP? Sorry for sounding stupid but I am learning more as I go. It seems to run fine. I'm getting about 20 miles per gallon. It has fourteen year old rubber though! Getting some decent used 16s is my first priority. Should I worry about balancing four used tires for the rear or just burn em and turn em? Probably just personal preference. Anyway, thanks for your time. I am slow to respond to email, so call me Dave at 720-404-9349 for faster response. Peace, DM.
Fill out your signature so that we know what we are talking about. I assume it has an auto, because of the cooler, and all my experience is with a 5 speed. The kdp is in the front of the engine behind the timing cover and is well documented here. Cummins keeps record on these engines and would be well worth it to get the service records.The kdp is important, but may not have moved. Fix obvious problems and get the kdp when you can...Mark
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
If they removed the gear housing to reseal it, they would have been right in the KDP area, and that would have been the perfect time to deal with it. Whether they actually did or not comes right down to the motivation of the technician that did the job, and the invoice may or may not even reflect what was done. Depends again on what measures that shop, or that technician favored in dealing with KDPs. Some may just put a drop of penetrating grade Loctite on the dowel pin and put a couple of quick dimples in the cover to close up the hole, other guys may put a tab over it.
I guess I am saying it may be more efficient and more accurate to simply pop the cover off and have a look at the dowel pin. If it needs dealt with, deal with it then. If not, throw the cover back on and enjoy the peace-of-mind.