1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Odd Front End Issue Nobody Else Seems To Have

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Received 563 Likes on 412 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneralC
Thank you bobva. For that kind of money I'll try that for the heck of it. Well my thinking behind the axle u joints is that if I lock the hubs the bounce is still there same as unlocked. They only spin when locked correct? I have not had my front driveshaft checked but it wouldn't be spinning unless in 4wd. Not trying to say you are wrong at all just trying to talk this out in my head cause I'm stumped lol
They only spin with power when the tc is in 4wd, but they certainly effect the steering when they are bad, spinning or not. I believe that NJTman had this problem with new u-joints. It is such a common problem, it should be investigated further, in my opinion...Mark
Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ten 4. Is there any way to check them on the vehicle that might give a sign they are wore?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM

And I just ordered the upper kingpin bushing kit. Heck I'll give it a try
Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 PM

For my '90 W-350 4WD I had the front wheels bouncing as described. I picked up a set [2 per bag] of Mopar Wheel Centering Lugs P/N 01273556 from my local Dodge dealer. These are special lug nuts that are tapered different on the outsides and are a slightly larger outside diameter. These force the wheel to center on hub and studs. Designed and developed by Ma Mopar to solve a known problem.

You remove all other lug nuts, screw these on at opposing wheel studs, directly across from one another, and tighten them down pretty tight. May have to shake or manipulate the wheel a little when installing to get these centered in wheel holes. Then put on all of your other lug nuts and tighten real good, then remove these special lugs and add the other 2 standard lugs. Then tighten all lug nuts to factory specified torque.

Some trucks may have larger holes in the wheels for various reasons so the lug nuts don't center wheels. There's also different O.D. size for some lug nuts and different outer tapers too. Ford wheels are 8 lug but they're slightly different, I think larger holes, so problems come when using them. I think it's Ford lug nuts that are the same internal thread as Dodge but a larger O.D. on the nuts?

Could be that by coincidence your buddy who tried your wheels has the larger [correct] lug nuts so your wheels centered on his truck, but your smaller lug nuts allowed his wheels to be off-center, causing same problem on your truck with his wheels. I'd try the centering lugs first, they're pretty cheap and obviously easy DIY.

RE: Balancing, there's different types of wheel balancing. Best is high speed spin balance by a shop that works on race cars and knows trucks too. Lastly, somebody out there makes wheel balancing pellets or beads that go inside the tires. I've heard they work but never used them...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have found that the best way to really check the king pin bushings is to take them appart and inspect. The kp spring is so stiff that theyre hard to pry op on the tire with a bar and see the slack. If theyre worn out, they'll just magnify the effect of the root problem.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 PM

Would it make sense if I took the upper kingpin spring out to replace with new one but while I had the spring out move the wheel back and forth while holding at 12 and 6 o'clock ? Would that show kingpins wore or since the spring is out they will have slop in them already? Once again thanks everybody all suggestions welcomed. And on the lug nuts I also bought new "centering" lugs from the second shop that re balanced my tires. They suggested them after explaining my problem since my newer rims are made to fit larger 9/16 wheel studs compared to our 1/2 studs. Far as I can tell they're sitting dead center but once again I'm not perfect by any means.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Received 563 Likes on 412 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneralC
And I just ordered the upper kingpin bushing kit. Heck I'll give it a try
Does the kit come with new springs? The only sure way that I know to check them is disassembly, both the joints and pins. Check here and here...Mark
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Yes it comes with new springs. It's the kit bobva linked.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While you've got it tore apart for the kingpins you could probably swap in 9/16 wheels studs too. If the holes in your wheels are too big for the 1/2 studs they won't hold centered.
Could you have a bent wheel?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 PM

I believe you misunderstood this is simply a kit to replace the bushing and spring around the upper kingpins. I'm gonna try just that before I tear apart the entire thing cause honestly I don't wanna do it right now unless it's needed. I'm just gonna try it and see if it helps. If not it's not a huge waste of money like all new springs would be lol. I highly highly doubt bent wheel because these same wheels didn't use to do this. This is more of a issue that has come along slowly. And I know for a fact I haven't hit anything to bend one. Heck I barely drive it lol. In the morning I'm gonna do some more inspecting and hopefully this kit comes in soon. I hate bouncing lol
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 PM

Well the rain quit for a while so I decided to do a little inspecting and after looking at the u-joints I believe that may be the problem or atleast some of it. I believe I'll cancel the order for the spring and bushing and just order a complete rebuild for the kingpins upper and lower and axle u-joints. Are there any places or kits recommended by youns to buy from? And is there anything else I should replace while its apart. I only wanna do this once. I also know I need a 3/4 hex tool and a special socket for the hub nut. Am I missing any other specialty tools? Once again I really appreciate this. Sites like this are wonderful.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog...Rebuild_Parts:
Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 PM

How many miles are on your truck?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM

roughly 180,000
Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Raining were you at? I thought the whole county was in freeze mode.

Anyway ORD should have everything you need. Make sure you get the greasable u-joints

Quick Reply: Odd Front End Issue Nobody Else Seems To Have