Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Looking for a frame (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/looking-frame-328528/)

BHD 07-26-2017 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by bigredbrick (Post 3331852)
Here's some pictures

Dude that is pristine for Pennsyltucky. I would be happy if all my stuff looked half that good.

edwinsmith 07-26-2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 3331862)
I am ready. More often than not when I think of what I like about this place you can't do or go there anymore.

now for the firearms part: Assembly bill 7 restricts open carry on public land. ie national forests. this is the most crippling to us.
Assy. bill 424more school zone restrictions on firearms. ASSY. bill464 makes FFL have tighter security. ASSY.bill would restrict buying of all firearms to one a month.
I haven't read these yet but I am sure there is more crammed into each one.

When they start confiscating automatic rubber band shooters is when you know they've gone off the deep end. Wait...what? Some teacher just expelled a 10 year old from school for nibbling a piece of toast in the shape of a pistol.

Some people out here are just Bat Poop crazy!

Edwin

mknittle 07-26-2017 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith (Post 3331879)
When they start confiscating automatic rubber band shooters is when you know they've gone off the deep end. Wait...what? Some teacher just expelled a 10 year old from school for nibbling a piece of toast in the shape of a pistol.

Some people out here are just Bat Poop crazy!

Edwin

I am working on nibbling a piece of bread into the shape of an AR15 but I need a bigger piece of bread.[laugh]

edwinsmith 07-26-2017 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 3331886)
I am working on nibbling a piece of bread into the shape of an AR15 but I need a bigger piece of bread.[laugh]

If you nibble it I bet I could get my wife to bake it. It would probably easier to lay the dough out in that shape and then bake it. If we put food coloring in it to make it black we could probably get arrested. [nonono]

NJTman 07-26-2017 07:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3331861)
I send a few pictures of the '92 RC I just bought to T-man today. If he wants to load them you guys can check out some real east coast frame rust.

What's you talking about Willis ?:o

NJTman 07-26-2017 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith (Post 3331889)
If you nibble it I bet I could get my wife to bake it. It would probably easier to lay the dough out in that shape and then bake it. If we put food coloring in it to make it black we could probably get arrested. [nonono]

Then BLM will be all over you !!!!

(Bear's lives matter)

Diesel_Dawg 07-26-2017 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3331890)
What's you talking about Willis ?:o

And to think I thought I had a rust problem. That makes the frame on my truck look like it just rolled off the assembly line. ;)

deere country 07-26-2017 11:13 PM

That's what happens when a ramcharger turns plow truck. That nasty salt or most any winter snow removal products that are corrosive should be banned from use on any and all roads.

oliver foster 07-27-2017 08:08 AM

Yeah that poor RC only has 68,xxx, one owner miles...
The fiberglass hatch is the only reusable body panel on it.

Finding a nice ex-cab 4x4 1st gen frame will be a challenge.

bigragu 07-27-2017 09:02 AM

Looking at that ramcharger Oliver purchased, I know I probably am not one to chime in, living here in CA with no rust on any of my vehicles, I'm just going off of some folks here that know rust is a problem they have, and they are proactive in specialty maintenance to combat that.

Having said that, some fault has to go to the previous owner for lack of maintenance. Common sense tells me the highway road maintenance crews that work in the rust belt must do something to their trucks and equipment, to protect the steel. If I lived in the rust belt, those are the folks I would hit up and ask what they do to at least tame that rust a bit.

patdaly 07-27-2017 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu (Post 3331932)
Common sense tells me the highway road maintenance crews that work in the rust belt must do something to their trucks and equipment, to protect the steel.

LOL, Yea, they sell them every 5-7 years and replace them with new......... Nothing but the finest with our tax dollars.

They let the next poor sucker try and save what is left of the frame.

You would be surprised at how many of them with identical frames of that Ramcharger are still running around out here............. Just saw an old Ford ( 93-94 ) F150 come into the junkyard where the owner had been stuffing 2X10 sections over the end of the leaf spring and under the bed to "fix" the rusted off shackles. Upon closer inspection, it was literally the only fix left, the frame where the shackle mounted to was gone as well. Ah, resourceful owners.....

deere country 07-27-2017 03:33 PM

Ya what pat said new trucks on our tax dollars but I would say more like 3-5 years for anything the state uses with salt or calcium chloride. Our local counties would fit the 5-7 years but they are slightly more accountable with our local dollars. The state on the other hand finds a new source of income if they need it for something like plows and such.

bigragu 07-27-2017 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by deere country (Post 3331947)
Ya what pat said new trucks on our tax dollars but I would say more like 3-5 years for anything the state uses with salt or calcium chloride. Our local counties would fit the 5-7 years but they are slightly more accountable with our local dollars. The state on the other hand finds a new source of income if they need it for something like plows and such.

Curious to know what they do with the good useable parts like the engines, inside trim, turbos, etc.
If the frames rot out within 5 years, that's just breaking in a Diesel engine.

BHD 07-27-2017 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu (Post 3331957)
Curious to know what they do with the good useable parts like the engines, inside trim, turbos, etc.
If the frames rot out within 5 years, that's just breaking in a Diesel engine.

Frames are not the only thing rusted out. Oil pans, freeze plugs, injector lines, air lines are also junk.. I've seen Eaton rears rusted thru and Roadranger transmissions with the bolt heads rusted off. Salt sucks.

bigredbrick 07-30-2017 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3331861)
I send a few pictures of the '92 RC I just bought to T-man today. If he wants to load them you guys can check out some real east coast frame rust.

Show off! Your frame's rustier than mine, LOL. Looks like that was parked in the ocean for a few years.
How do you determine how much has been lost? Then, which is easier/harder, restoring what's there or transplanting everything to a better frame? Seems like everything has to come off the frame to do it right if the frame is still strong enough for 3,000 lbs of camper in the bed.