Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Installing Headlamp Relays (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/installing-headlamp-relays-176263/)

Jim Lane 12-16-2017 04:37 PM

I get all of my relay sockets and relays from a Heavy Truck Parts near me,
They have a true 12-gauge wire on terminal #30, #87 & #87a #85 & #86 are 16-gauge,
I think he said they are from Cole Hearse.

I just found my HD headlamp sockets were starting to melt as well.

I think the reason being the blades on my H4 Silver Star Ultras are thinner than the ones on regular H6054 glass lamps, causing a weak connection which will eventually overheat.
LED headlamps are on the list for my truck.

Might want to keep an eye on this.
Jim

1stGEN'93 03-07-2018 10:32 PM

What did it run you guys to build this set up? Just wondering as LMC now has a kit for our trucks that looks pretty decent for $30.

cougar 03-08-2018 11:31 AM

I bought the Putco setup (several actually) off amazoid for about that price. After more than 5 years they still work just fine.

1stGEN'93 03-08-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cougar (Post 3345192)
I bought the Putco setup (several actually) off amazoid for about that price. After more than 5 years they still work just fine.

I guess $30 plus shipping and tax will be removed from my bank account this afternoon then :peel:

Shelby/Dakota 03-09-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by cougar (Post 3345192)

Dang, at that price, its worth it just to avoid the hassle of dealing with building he harness yourself.

Link please?

1stGEN'93 03-09-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota (Post 3345255)
Dang, at that price, its worth it just to avoid the hassle of dealing with building he harness yourself.

Link please?

Heavy-Duty Headlight Harness | 1972-93 Dodge Truck 1974-93 Dodge Ramcharger | LMC Truck

edwinsmith 03-09-2018 04:01 PM

That's almost exactly the same set as I got. Mine has white plastic on the headlight plugs though. You should add a 30 amp breaker in the supply line and connect it to the battery.

Edwin

1stGEN'93 03-09-2018 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith (Post 3345266)
That's almost exactly the same set as I got. Mine has white plastic on the headlight plugs though. You should add a 30 amp breaker in the supply line and connect it to the battery.

Edwin

Can you explain to me what a breaker is? I have pretty much zero knowledge of electrical.

edwinsmith 03-09-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93 (Post 3345267)

Can you explain to me what a breaker is? I have pretty much zero knowledge of electrical.

A circuit breaker watches the amount of current flowing through it and like a fuse it "breaks" the circuit to prevent damage to the wiring if an overload occurs.

Here's the one I used.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/m...350-pickup-rwd

Edwin

dparker 11-18-2019 01:57 PM

Has anyone run this setup with LEDs?? I built this harness about 10 years ago following Jim's instructions with Highs and Lows on at the same time and it has worked flawlessly. Looking to upgrade the lights and interested in LEDs.

On a side note, looking for suggestions on which brands lights to good and what I should stay away from? I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".

Thank you
Dustin

oliver foster 11-18-2019 04:05 PM

I installed the Truck Lite headlights on my '91.0 and I really like them. Not cheap, but I would say you get what you pay for with them.

One downside which likely will not effect you much in AZ is they use so little electricity that they make no real heat, which would normally keep the headlights from icing over in cold wether and snow.
Since I run them on my summer only ride it makes no difference to me on my '91.0

j_martin 11-19-2019 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by dparker (Post 3365917)
Has anyone run this setup with LEDs?? I built this harness about 10 years ago following Jim's instructions with Highs and Lows on at the same time and it has worked flawlessly. Looking to upgrade the lights and interested in LEDs.

On a side note, looking for suggestions on which brands lights to good and what I should stay away from? I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".

Thank you
Dustin

LED's should run good with the relays. Actually, with LED's the relays wouldn't make much difference.