1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ignition Switch / lock cyl. install ?? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ignition Switch / lock cyl. install ?? Pics

I got in my truck and tried to turn the key and it would not turn.

I suppose the lock cylinder is wore out ??

I am also going to change the switch since somtimes my A/c and windows would not work.

Looks like somthing smoked inside the housing of what I am assuming is the switch.

Looks like remove the three T20 security torx screws and plug and its out. Correct?

Just need to get that torx.

Click on pic to make larger.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at your pics. Pic one and three show the heat within the ingintion switch itself. The third contact from the back or fourth from the front show heat marks. This is brown/black looking at the pics.

My best suggestion is to replace the ignition switch. Maybe even your ignition tumbler assembly. If you can make the tumbler turn and get it to the point the you can remove the tumbler, then only maybe the just the switch.

Wish I can be of more help.

Glenn
Old 08-04-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The special torx is a security torx or tamper proof torx. I just drilled the heads off and replaced the screws with phillips of the same size. My napa price for a new tumbler and key set was $66. The price for the switch was also $66. I removed mine because I had no key. I was able to get a key made by taking the lock/switch combo to a locksmith for $25. You need to be able to turn the lock and follow a procedure to separate the lock from the switch. If your lock won't turn and your switch is toast you have no need to separate the two.

By the way the torx is Snap-on # TTXR20A2