Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   idles fine but thats about it (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/idles-fine-but-thats-about-273606/)

fatt 07-15-2010 08:59 PM

idles fine but thats about it

After I replaced my headgasket and got my pickup running last Friday, I drove 50-75 miles with no problems. Driving to a bonfire I'm cruising along at 50 and suddenly the engine kind of stuttered, like it almost died for a second so my first thought is I'm finally getting the 1/4 tank issue. Nope, still had half tank. So I keep going and start climbing a hill and lose power completely, and the engine kept doing the same deal as before; almost as though it had air in the lines. So I parked it and rode with my buddy the rest of the way. About six hours later we get back to it and it drove perfectly fine for a mile or so until it started again. Got it towed home and I've tried everything I can think; new fuel filter, no fuel leaks, air filter is fine, pushrods are all in place. It will start fine and idle but any pressing on the skinny pedal and it starts to bog down giving a small puff of black smoke and a second later a cloud of white smoke. Except occasionally with the airdog OFF it will rev fine. The only changes from before are Orings, 60 pound valve springs, and I advanced the timing from 3/16 to 1/4. Anyone have an idea whats wrong??:(

JustRamIt91 07-15-2010 09:12 PM

could some dirt have gotten into the fuel lines? Maybe there is still compression loss?

wannadiesel 07-15-2010 09:22 PM

You are not getting enough fuel for some reason.

RuralCruiser007 07-15-2010 09:27 PM

Have you taken the time to replace the connections of the shut down solenoid? I haven't done mine and whenever there is high humidity conditions I have the same problem. grrrrr

I have to get mine done.

fatt 07-15-2010 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 2803291)
You are not getting enough fuel for some reason.

I disconnected the fuel hose from the VE and the fuel comes out in a solid stream. About a half gallon in 10-15 seconds. I took the injector lines loose at the injectors and its getting fuel to all of them.

fatt 07-15-2010 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by RuralCruiser007 (Post 2803298)
Have you taken the time to replace the connections of the shut down solenoid? I haven't done mine and whenever there is high humidity conditions I have the same problem. grrrrr

I have to get mine done.

Havent done that one. Never even heard of it[laugh]. Is there a writeup anywhere about it?

Onemoparnut 07-15-2010 10:01 PM

Mine did the same thing to me and it was the connection to the fss. Everytime I would get on it the wire would lose contact and the truck would stumble or shutoff.

fatt 07-15-2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut (Post 2803334)
Mine did the same thing to me and it was the connection to the fss. Everytime I would get on it the wire would lose contact and the truck would stumble or shutoff.

What did you do for a fix?

dodgenstein 07-15-2010 10:13 PM

Cut the connectors off both wires on the fuel shutoff. Crimp on ring terminals. Remove the nut on top of the fuel shutoff, remove the old terminals, put the ring terminals over the fuel shutoff stud replace nut. This should eliminate the possibility of a bad connection between the spade terminals and the solenoid.

fatt 07-15-2010 10:25 PM

I'll try that tomorrow after work. It's way too late right now.[laugh]

fatt 07-17-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by JustRamIt91 (Post 2803272)
could some dirt have gotten into the fuel lines? Maybe there is still compression loss?

Dirt in the fuel lines is possible. They sat in the bed for almost a week uncovered.[dummy]

fatt 07-17-2010 04:45 PM

Not sure if my description was very good so i made a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmLZuJgOHPk

G1625S 07-17-2010 05:10 PM

Definitely a fuel supply issue....by the VE I think:( That's how my truck sounded when I lost the original pump...

soggy 07-17-2010 08:11 PM

Hast thou pulled the injectors to see if they mayhaps have a tip cracked Brother Fatty?

fatt 07-17-2010 10:57 PM

Shore did Soggy. They all look fine to me.