1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Head light relays and day time running lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head light relays and day time running lights

I have a Canadian truck with daytime running lights and am wondering how the relay install would affect this and if I could still have daytime running lights with some extra wiring maybe? Has any one dealt with this before?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 AM

We have talked on here before about this. Jim Lane was the leader with the relays for the headlights. We have questioned about the relays for DRL's.

Jim have you found an answer for this issue?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM

I have done the relays and no the daytimes no longer work. However the brighter lights are worth it. It is probably illegal but on an old style truck like ours, I doubt a cop would notice.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Short Box
I have done the relays and no the daytimes no longer work. However the brighter lights are worth it. It is probably illegal but on an old style truck like ours, I doubt a cop would notice.
I'll second that! I just drive around with my markers on all the time but really, ya don't need the DRL's here in BC, the DMV is too busy pulling over rabid dumptruck drivers to worry about our rigs. I've been rolling on my relays for about 6 months now and no prob's. When you're installing them though, the hi-beam light on the dash doesn't work anymore so tap into the small red/white wire (IIRC) on your drl module (this is where you disconnect the module by the way) and connect it to the hi-beam circuit on the passenger side headlight plug and problem solved. Oh if you ever do get nailed for it, leave all your stock wiring in place so you can just plug it all back in again should you ever need to.
If ya really wanna go nuts change out your headlights with H-4 conversions with some HO bulbs and really get some light out. Read my sig, that's exactly what I did.
Cheers!
-Mike
Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 PM

I figured it out. There is a red and orange wire ( high beam) and a violet and white (low beam) wire at the day time running light module plug. I removed some of the factory tape around the harness to give me about 6" of visible wire at the plug. I cut the rd/or and the vt/wt about 6" from the plug right near the tape. The ends that go into the harness you wont need again.

I have done that head light relay fix as per the sticky. For the daytime running lights to work the module needs to have the high and low beam hooked up to it so I spliced in 2 wires at the new passenger side head light plug (1 into the new high beam circuit and 1 into the new low beam circuit) and ran them to the daytime running light module which is on the passenger inner fender.

The daytime running light module powers the high beam circuit at half the voltage of normal so it is the high beam element that is on when your daytime running lights are on.
Also the high beam indicator in the dash still works because the daytime running light module is still plugged in and does not know anything has changed.
Also if you didn't notice the daytime running light only come on after the truck has started moving. So don't expect to start the truck and have them come on. Put it in gear forward or reverse and move a few feet and they will come on.

Hope this makes sense