1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

The Definitive Mileage thread... (where is it?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Definitive Mileage thread... (where is it?)

Can anybody point me to the best thread for "things to do to get the best MPGs"? Seems like a good one to post in the "How Do I" thread.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 PM

Many people around here seem to be playing with the pedal to much to be to worried about MPGs but I have seen a few tips in the fuels/biodiesel forum and also in the towing/rv secton.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:09 PM

...anybody?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:02 AM

ok i will bit! 3.07 gears BHAF manual 5sd or a newer lock up TQ tranny (47rh) straight piped(no muffler)
set star wheel turned to no smoke(so your lead foot can't interfer) #2 fuel, cruise control for same reason as above! run the valve, if it hasn't been dune in awhile and add a fuel additive that boost the fuels rating!

there's a good start.........I would say a GV w/3.07s but i thing that would be to much over kill!
Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by flashgordon
cruise control for same reason as above!
Humid beings are better than cruise control if mileage is your object. Check it out.

Cruise control can't anticipate anything and will keep speed up even when you are about to head downhill. It will pour on the power to maintain speed even when a more leisurely increase is more efficient. The biggest thing to improve mileage is to not use your brakes. I mean plan ahead so that you are not wasting kinetic energy by having to apply your brakes hard. You buy this energy by burning fuel.

Avoid a lot of stop and go traffic. On your interstates, good luck! Generally, the slower you go the better your mileage will be.

Turbo diesels run more efficiently when adequate air is available. Be cautious about letting your rev's drop too much when pulling a load. Get a boost guage and aim for steady boost levels rather than high ones. Big Rig drivers tell me they aim for about 7 pounds boost. Anything higher and you are developing excess power and using more fuel. Get a pyrometer and try to keep your temps down. Keep your tires inflated to near max. Get rid of unnecessary junk. Accelerating more weight burns extra fuel. Keep your rad clean. Use a shut off valve on your heater line so you don't have to run the ac so much. Use easily compressed propane instead of R134a as a refrigerant. Keep your speed down and accelerate more sedately. Use a good fuel additive like Standyne or one of the excellent John Deere products. Keep your air cleaner clean. When exchanging fire with other vehicles, aim backward to take advantage of recoil. Change your plugs............ GOTCHA..... don't get an automatic. Only get a four by if you really need one. Highway ribs run easier than off road tires. Use Canadian gallons....... 4.54 litres versus 3.79? I get 30mpg with Canadian gallons.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:48 AM

i seem to get best milage by working my truck and driving my cavalier!