1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ddp stg 2 nozzles next week

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick 12v CTD
Well just for those that are wondering. The old DDP4 injectors that flow 55lpm gave me 65hp at the wheels on a dyno. Dynoed my truck with the dennyt pin, then changed out the injectors right on the dyno and then re-dynoed it. They gave 65hp more hp over stock i/c sticks on my truck that was stock at the time except for a timing bump, DennyT pin and 14cm ex. housing.

If the truck was bombed as far as it could go with stock i/c sticks and then you put the 55lpm sticks in, you might get 100hp more, but even then... Their new hp estimates are inflated imo.
don't you have a slippery automatic though?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well just for those that are wondering. The old DDP4 injectors that flow 55lpm gave me 65hp at the wheels on a dyno. Dynoed my truck with the dennyt pin, then changed out the injectors right on the dyno and then re-dynoed it. They gave 65hp more hp over stock i/c sticks on my truck that was stock at the time except for a timing bump, DennyT pin and 14cm ex. housing.

If the truck was bombed as far as it could go with stock i/c sticks and then you put the 55lpm sticks in, you might get 100hp more, but even then... Their new hp estimates are inflated imo.
Yea increasing power on an auto with the stock convertor will never show true crank hp gains. With a manual trans you'd see more of a jump.

I hope to get my old heap up and running again soon and will get some new numbers with the mods. Of course my numbers are going to be way inflated over what I had before because I've done tons of mods and work since my last dyno. But hopefully I can break 400whp, if not I'll be pretty upset.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
yes a slippery auto. At the time it was hooking up pretty good though, fwiw lol

I still think 100hp on a very bombed truck isn't that unreasonable but 150 is unrealistic. Maybe not though, I could be wrong.

And the old DDP4 injectors were rated at 80hp I believe.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 AM

yes a slippery auto. At the time it was hooking up pretty good though, fwiw lol

I still think 100hp on a very bombed truck isn't that unreasonable but 150 is unrealistic. Maybe not though, I could be wrong.

And the old DDP4 injectors were rated at 80hp I believe.
Your right, the old DDP4's were rated at 80hp. Our injection pumps have so many variables its hard to throw out a standard HP rating for any set of injectors. But 80hp seems like a reasonable number on a manual stock truck. With more air to burn the added fuel, timing bumped, fuel screw maxed, and a fuel system that'll keep possitive pressure going into the IP, I could see them making 150whp. Before I installed my DDP's I could break the tired loose in 2nd gear for a few feet once boost built up. With the DDP's in I could be rolling in 3rd gear at 50mph and mash the throttle and the rear end would go sideways, then spin halfway thru 4th gear. I only had a few seconds my fuel pressure gauge was above 0-psi. Once it hit 0-psi the power leveled off and my boost held between 50-52. I've got a 100% custom fuel system now that will keep 18psi at the pump no matter how hard I am on it. That along with the much larger customized IC, 3.5" boost tubes, and DennyT pin I hope I am able to burn all the fuel these injectors will flow. 55lph is alot of fuel and should easily be enough for over 400whp.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by pwrtripls1
Your right, the old DDP4's were rated at 80hp. Our injection pumps have so many variables its hard to throw out a standard HP rating for any set of injectors. But 80hp seems like a reasonable number on a manual stock truck. With more air to burn the added fuel, timing bumped, fuel screw maxed, and a fuel system that'll keep possitive pressure going into the IP, I could see them making 150whp. Before I installed my DDP's I could break the tired loose in 2nd gear for a few feet once boost built up. With the DDP's in I could be rolling in 3rd gear at 50mph and mash the throttle and the rear end would go sideways, then spin halfway thru 4th gear. I only had a few seconds my fuel pressure gauge was above 0-psi. Once it hit 0-psi the power leveled off and my boost held between 50-52. I've got a 100% custom fuel system now that will keep 18psi at the pump no matter how hard I am on it. That along with the much larger customized IC, 3.5" boost tubes, and DennyT pin I hope I am able to burn all the fuel these injectors will flow. 55lph is alot of fuel and should easily be enough for over 400whp.
Yeah I guess it is a fair bit different with a 5spd, and you're right there are a lot of variables to consider. I think David (BC847) was making just over 400hp on his auto with the DDP4 right? But his truck is bombed to the limits. And he has twins, cam, hellman cooler. All things most of us will never have
Old 04-15-2010, 11:10 AM

I think he's around 450hp or so... but still through a non lock up tranny (Very modified, but still not lockup or stick).
Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
I think he's around 450hp or so... but still through a non lock up tranny (Very modified, but still not lockup or stick).
Is he running the 12mm pump head still? 450whp thru an auto could be 475whp thru a stick shift! I need to set my goals higher than just breaking 400 then. Since mine is a track 1/4 mile toy I need to keep the turbo relativly small though to spool quickly. Any other info on his setup and how he got to his current power numbers?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Is he running the 12mm pump head still? 450whp thru an auto could be 475whp thru a stick shift! I need to set my goals higher than just breaking 400 then. Since mine is a track 1/4 mile toy I need to keep the turbo relativly small though to spool quickly. Any other info on his setup and how he got to his current power numbers?
Last I heard yes he was running the 12mm head still
Things I know/am pretty sure he has right now.
Hamilton cam
62/14s300 over HT3B.
Hellman cooler
built auto with Suncoast converter.
60# vavle springs, chromoly pushrods and 24v lifters.
massively ported PDR head.
non-gasket matched manifold (probably ported)
not sure on his cooler tubes. probably 3"
I think he might have a Airdog II. I don't know what it is exactly but I know it's no longer mechanical.
6x16 injectors I think?

You'd be better of asking him what he's got though

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
I think his hp jumped up to that area when he went with the new sticks. I'm not completely sure though.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM

He's written half the stickies it seems... He even jokes he does it for documentation in case he was ever to sell it one day. Doubt he will, he's the original owner.

And ya, I think his 450hp might have been with DDPs?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got the nozzles installed tonight.

Took my old injectors out and got nw fuel injection to install the new nozzles and set the pressures. During the nozzle install they encountered some problems with the nozzles. 1 was perfect right of the box. 3 had to be very lightly lapped with lapping compound and 2 couldn't be fixed to factory bosch style idle spray patterns. I saw the spray pattern on 2 of the worst nozzles and they were only firing out of 4 holes(5 hole nozzles) and leaking fuel out of the return quickly during low rpm/idle. At high rpm they had a very nice spray pattern spraying evenly from each hole and nicely atomized.

I was worried that I would have smoking problems at idle which is why I am replacing my 450000kms stock nozzles. But I installed them and no more idle smoke. Very clean burning once I drove them for a few minutes. Just need to tune my afc now to get rid of the black smoke on quick takeoffs. Boost is up 5-6psi to mid 30's. My egts seem to have dropped 50-100 degrees at full throttle!!. My idle is lower so I know they are larger injectors. So the drop in egt was a big surprise. My old nozzles must have been really inefficient to smoke really bad at idle and cause higher egts.

Overall I would recommend these nozzles. I would have liked to have those 2 replaced by dynomite diesel which I'm sure they would, but my truck was in pieces and I had to pay the shop who set the nozzles up and I need it to drive to work so I'm just going to have to live with it. My idle haze/smoke
is non-existant and I have more power. Total bill under $500

Now I need a torque converter/trans to put it to the ground.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by sdubfid
Got the nozzles installed tonight.

Took my old injectors out and got nw fuel injection to install the new nozzles and set the pressures. During the nozzle install they encountered some problems with the nozzles. 1 was perfect right of the box. 3 had to be very lightly lapped with lapping compound and 2 couldn't be fixed to factory bosch style idle spray patterns. I saw the spray pattern on 2 of the worst nozzles and they were only firing out of 4 holes(5 hole nozzles) and leaking fuel out of the return quickly during low rpm/idle. At high rpm they had a very nice spray pattern spraying evenly from each hole and nicely atomized.

I was worried that I would have smoking problems at idle which is why I am replacing my 450000kms stock nozzles. But I installed them and no more idle smoke. Very clean burning once I drove them for a few minutes. Just need to tune my afc now to get rid of the black smoke on quick takeoffs. Boost is up 5-6psi to mid 30's. My egts seem to have dropped 50-100 degrees at full throttle!!. My idle is lower so I know they are larger injectors. So the drop in egt was a big surprise. My old nozzles must have been really inefficient to smoke really bad at idle and cause higher egts.

Overall I would recommend these nozzles. I would have liked to have those 2 replaced by dynomite diesel which I'm sure they would, but my truck was in pieces and I had to pay the shop who set the nozzles up and I need it to drive to work so I'm just going to have to live with it. My idle haze/smoke
is non-existant and I have more power. Total bill under $500

Now I need a torque converter/trans to put it to the ground.
geez you would think that all the nozzles would be perfect this kinda bothers me considering I was thinking of buying their stage 2 or 3 injectors ,guess this means i will have to pay a pump shop to check the **** things after spending 7oo plus bucks on them . Are you going to call the DDP shop to see what they have to say
Old 04-22-2010, 12:53 AM

I'm don't want to take them out again and pay more to have the new ones reset so I'm going to live with it. Labour won't be re-imbursed and I'm happy with how it runs so i'm going to leave it. By the time I deal with shipping/waiting/re-pop testing/my time it's not worth it.

I'm not expecting factory bosch perfection from 75hp nozzles. The only thing wrong was very low rpm spray pattern on 2 injectors. They commented that the high rpm spray/atomization was excellent. They burn clean in the truck and cost less than pods and thats all that matters to me for now. I'm going to keep an eye on my mileage and post updates on driving impressions after awhile.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM

what is "very low rpm" though? The truck should be idling at 800. If the injectors were doing that at like even 600 they may well be fine at 800 who knows. And my guess is if 2 weren't spraying right at idle after installation you'd notice it with the truck. Maybe not though, I don't know.

Also, I'm not sure all DDP injectors are 5 hole. My DDP4 injectors are all 4 hole. I thought it was weird but I got my seller to ask DDP about it and even a member on here who knows lots and used to run DDP4s confirmed some are 4 hole.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 PM

Yes I read that the older ones were 4 hole as well which is why I was surprised when I opened them up.

The guy running the test machine was a perfectionist so it may even be lower rpm than my truck idles at. It idles awesome even at 600rpm when I first put them in with no smoke whatsoever.

I was just paranoid when I saw them on the test stand but they work excellent in the truck so I have no complaints.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by sdubfid
Yes I read that the older ones were 4 hole as well which is why I was surprised when I opened them up.

The guy running the test machine was a perfectionist so it may even be lower rpm than my truck idles at. It idles awesome even at 600rpm when I first put them in with no smoke whatsoever.

I was just paranoid when I saw them on the test stand but they work excellent in the truck so I have no complaints.
Well that's good to hear

Quick Reply: ddp stg 2 nozzles next week