Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Crewcab rear door weatherstrip.... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/crewcab-rear-door-weatherstrip-306620/)

thrashingcows 09-23-2012 11:24 PM

Crewcab rear door weatherstrip....install

3 Attachment(s)
Well today I thought I'd tackle the window seals on the back doors...turned out to be a bit more of a job then I planned so only got the one door done today.

Here's how the fun went....The old seals were so cooked and dry that the windows would only roll down a little. It took a lot of chipping and breaking to get the old seals out.

Old seals in place...

Attachment 56153

My snap-on pick I use so often...little piece by little piece the seals came out...

Attachment 56154

After about an hour I finally got everything out of the way.

Attachment 56155

thrashingcows 09-23-2012 11:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The outer window seals were a bit of a job since the glass was still in place..the upright seal by the little fixed window went in not bad, but the other one was a bit more work.

First off the new seal had 2 pins attached to it..but since I'm using seals for front doors..no kit available for dodge crewcab rear doors...these pins had to be removed. Guess you could try and install them in the right location but the seals I removed never had these anyway.

Seal with tabs to be removed...

Attachment 56150

Here is one of the locations for the pins. You can see it was never used.

Attachment 56151

And here you can see if I lined up the pins as installed it would leave a 1" gap.

Attachment 56152

thrashingcows 09-23-2012 11:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Once I got the outer seals installed I moved on to the window felts/sweepers. I had hoped they would be a simple trim and install, but no luck there. :(

Here you can see the differences...

Attachment 56147

Little bit of work to do. I carefully used a small screwdriver to bend over the tabs on the clips. But be careful since they tend to break off due to the thin spring steel they are made from. The used a fine set of needle nose pliers to wiggle them free.

Attachment 56148

Attachment 56149

I left the one clip in place and removed the other three.

thrashingcows 09-23-2012 11:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Then I measured the original clip location and marked the new location on the new seal.

Attachment 56144

Then I put the clip in place and pushed it down firmly. This left and indentation in the soft outer layer.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...b.jpg~original

Then I used a small drill bit to drill through the seal...it has a metal core. As well it gave the new clip a starting area to get pushed through.

Attachment 56145

Once the holes were drilled I used a big set of channel lock pliers, and a thick washer to push the clips through the seal. I then held the clip in place with the channel locks and carefully bent the little tabs over. Again it is likely that you will break a few of these tabs. Use the old ones from the original seals as spares.

Attachment 56146

thrashingcows 09-23-2012 11:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So here's one of them done.

Attachment 56141

Then it was measure and trim with a good pair of tin snips.

Attachment 56142

And install...

Attachment 56143

thrashingcows 09-23-2012 11:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And all finished up....Well that took longer then planned...:)

Attachment 56137

Attachment 56138

And I also painted the door panel at this time as well....

Before...

Attachment 56139

After...

Attachment 56140

simplysmn 09-24-2012 12:15 AM

Nicely done job I'm glad mine are still good

bryson711 09-24-2012 10:10 AM

I see this in my near future. Great writeup. I ordered the same stuff for my back doors also. The one thing im stumped on is how to re do the little windows trim. Mine is not bad but i wish it was new

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

simplysmn 09-24-2012 10:18 AM

Problem is nobody makes the rubber for small window there Really hard to get .Used

gyman98 09-24-2012 10:34 AM

Nice work but that rear door panel looks awful familiar...

thrashingcows 09-24-2012 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by gyman98 (Post 3134486)
Nice work but that rear door panel looks awful familiar...

I wouldn't go out to your truck for a few days...I'm working on your replacement....[laugh]

Did you replace your Gyman?? How did you do yours?

gyman98 09-24-2012 11:10 AM

Ha ha ok thanks, shouldn't need it till the weekend.

I did my replacements almost exactly the same as you, I did have problems with the rear window scrapers staying in after and ended up using weather strip adhesive to hold them in place. The clips just didn't seem to do it.

NJTman 10-12-2012 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by gyman98 (Post 3134492)
I had problems with the rear window scrapers staying in after and ended The clips just didn't seem to do it.

I had the same issue replacing the wipers on my front windows. I had to remove them, squeeze the crap out of the clips, and put them back in. THey finally stayed after tweaking the metal bent down section with all the holes in it, on the inside of the door. I found that if you don't push down far enough on those wipers to get the clips to seat properly, they just push up and out with use of the window. I also rain-x'd the window to help make the window more slippery, which stopped the lifting completely.

Nice job, TC. Truck looks great.

thrashingcows 10-12-2012 12:32 PM

NJTman...I didn't have any issues with the front sweeps. The dropped in perfectly, and clipped in hard. Maybe a bad run on the ones you got?

brcron007 10-12-2012 03:58 PM

Nice writeup !!!!