1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Air Impact wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Another vote for the cheap Harbor Freight Earthquake....I use it a couple times a year and does what it claims to do for me, but not using it on a daily basis.
I don't think it'd stand up to daily shop use, but for the twice a year one needs to mess with the tires in the snow belt, it's great.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Speaking of Air Impact. We just had a Cessna 310R crash on the 405 freeway just short of the runway at John Wayne airport in Orange County. It's only a few blocks from where my wife works. It happened about 9 am and 2 people on board were alive and transported to the HP. The plane hit the NB side first and bounced across to the SB side and hit a Blue Toyota pickup and spun it around. No injuries in the PU. The SB side of the 405 is shut down and the carpool lanes of the NB side are closed but the rest of NB traffic is flowing past the lookieloos.

The pilot lost the right engine on takeoff and was trying to make it back to the airport. AN off duty fire captain from Avalon just happened to be there to pull the pilot and one passenger from the burning plane. Lets hear a round of applause for firemen!

Edwin
The following users liked this post:
1992 Renegade (07-01-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Speaking of Air Impact. We just had a Cessna 310R crash on the 405 freeway just short of the runway at John Wayne airport in Orange County. It's only a few blocks from where my wife works. It happened about 9 am and 2 people on board were alive and transported to the HP. The plane hit the NB side first and bounced across to the SB side and hit a Blue Toyota pickup and spun it around. No injuries in the PU. The SB side of the 405 is shut down and the carpool lanes of the NB side are closed but the rest of NB traffic is flowing past the lookieloos.

The pilot lost the right engine on takeoff and was trying to make it back to the airport. AN off duty fire captain from Avalon just happened to be there to pull the pilot and one passenger from the burning plane. Lets hear a round of applause for firemen!

Edwin
Why would a 310R not fly, and even climb reasonably on one engine?
Old 06-30-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Why would a 310R not fly, and even climb reasonably on one engine?
Contrary to popular belief, when one engine goes out you do not have 50% power. The other engine will tend to yaw the plane to the point that the rudder cannot compensate. There is also the torque factor which tends to try and turn the aircraft over. I can't recall which engine is more critical but suffice it to say, if you lose one engine you're going down.

Edwin
Old 06-30-2017, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
160 lbs. (me) on the end of 2.5' of breaker bar and pipe.

When I am standing on the end of my calibrated breaker bar I feel a snap in my back, guess that means I have reached the torque.

Remember I the late 70's when everyone had Rodac air tools, even school.auto shop had them.

Compressor scfm and your air hose has a lot to do with how well your torque wrench can break loose a bolt,
1/4" hose is only good for nailers and beach *****,
3/8" hose up to maybe 50' is ok for normal lug nuts if it is done in burst.
1/2" hose is best although bulky to handle but is needed for high end 1/2" and 3/4" wrenches, there is also 1" hose for the 1" wrenches.

If I am going to use over 50 feet of hose I have an air tank off a semi with fittings that I connect my air line and use as a reserve tank this gives me a higher volume of air at the impact.

Assembly shops use this idea when a lot of people are using air tools at the same time off one compressor.
Jim
Old 06-30-2017, 08:59 PM

Yes. That MUST be my problem. I have to much hose.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation for a decent impact wrench at a reasonable price? I have a cheapo one that I got in a set of tools with an air compressor I bought a while back. Now it's getting weak. ON my lug-nuts today I found that it would put the nuts on but wouldn't take them off. I went back over them with my lug-nut tools and I found it wasn't making them tight at all. These are BIG nuts on a one ton Dually so they need more torque than my wrench delivers.
CP 734 will do what you want......
Old 07-01-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, when one engine goes out you do not have 50% power. The other engine will tend to yaw the plane to the point that the rudder cannot compensate. There is also the torque factor which tends to try and turn the aircraft over. I can't recall which engine is more critical but suffice it to say, if you lose one engine you're going down.

Edwin
I would think the left would be the one not to lose because just running on the right you would have way more left turning tendencies. But I dont have a multiengine nor have i flown in years.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by peckens
I would think the left would be the one not to lose because just running on the right you would have way more left turning tendencies. But I dont have a multiengine nor have i flown in years.
I did a bit of research and you are correct. The left hand engine is the critical engine due to the prop "P" factor which gives a greater yaw to the left if the left engine is out. Because of the nose up attitude the descending blade of the prop on a clockwise turning engine is further from the aircraft centerline on the right engine.

In yesterday's crash the plane lost the RIGHT engine. We do not know how heavily loaded the plane was but the pilot radioed the tower with a Mayday call 75 seconds after he was cleared to take off. He probably didn't have much altitude at all at that point. He was trying to circle around and return to the airport. He made a FULL circle and was trying to land in the same direction he took off.
peckens (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 05:16 PM

I am sure spiraling slip stream will become a factor as well because most modern multiengines are counter rotating I believe.
Unfortunately, I am sure the cause was pilot error and fuel related.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by peckens
I am sure spiraling slip stream will become a factor as well because most modern multiengines are counter rotating I believe.
Unfortunately, I am sure the cause was pilot error and fuel related.
This was a Cessna 310R which has 2 Continental IO 520 series engines. They are NOT counter rotating. I think the pilot made a mistake by doing a full go around but the latest news is that the entire trip took 43 seconds and not 75 as previously reported. Off the south end of the runway there is only the 73 freeway and upper Newport Bay to land. It seems odd that if he had enough altitude to go around he should have been able to make the airport. He almost made it to the apron. From the short cell phone video it looked like a classic stall spin and he drug his left tip tank across the K-Rail center divider of the 405.

Yes the FAA investigation should be revealing.

Edwin
Old 07-01-2017, 09:28 PM

This was a Cessna 310R which has 2 Continental IO 520 series engines. They are NOT counter rotating. I think the pilot made a mistake by doing a full go around but the latest news is that the entire trip took 43 seconds and not 75 as previously reported. Off the south end of the runway there is only the 73 freeway and upper Newport Bay to land. It seems odd that if he had enough altitude to go around he should have been able to make the airport. He almost made it to the apron. From the short cell phone video it looked like a classic stall spin and he drug his left tip tank across the K-Rail center divider of the 405.

Yes the FAA investigation should be revealing.

Edwin
My ground school instructor always said "When that engine quits, your brain hops in the back seat for 5 seconds."
Old 07-01-2017, 09:49 PM

The one I always liked is, "The only time you have to much fuel is when you're on fire."
peckens (07-01-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
I have an Aircat 1150 that works reasonably well. My cousin has a Matco something or other that snaps wheel studs if you're not careful. He regularly uses it to remove Fuso lug nuts and it's a 1/2" impact gun.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
I have an Aircat 1150 that works reasonably well. My cousin has a Matco something or other that snaps wheel studs if you're not careful. He regularly uses it to remove Fuso lug nuts and it's a 1/2" impact gun.
Matco and Cornwell impacts are rebranded IR's. Even when you open the box when new it comes with an IR manual. The only difference is the color.

Quick Reply: Air Impact wrench?