Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Ac condensor removal? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/ac-condensor-removal-329898/)

qmikep 03-02-2018 05:36 PM

Ac condensor removal?

Im currently pulling my engine out to fix a bunch of oil leaks and do some other odds n ends. My problem is I've only removed an engine an old jeep before which did not have an ac system. My question is what is the best way to remove the condenser and the refrigerant from the system?

Everything I've read said to take it to a ac shop. Well the trans, tase and and most of the front end is off and the truck is on jack stands so its too late for that. My primary concern is not to damage the system, as my ac works decent.

Any advice is appreciated?

thrashingcows 03-02-2018 07:01 PM

Yes you have to discharge the AC system to remove the condensor, any way you can go the work without removing it? You'll have to get it re-charged once you have it all back together.

qmikep 03-02-2018 07:04 PM

I don't think so. I'm going to be boxing the frame in the front and a bunch of other stuff. So I really need the work space.

edwinsmith 03-02-2018 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by qmikep (Post 3344890)
Im currently pulling my engine out to fix a bunch of oil leaks and do some other odds n ends. My problem is I've only removed an engine an old jeep before which did not have an ac system. My question is what is the best way to remove the condenser and the refrigerant from the system?

Everything I've read said to take it to a ac shop. Well the trans, tase and and most of the front end is off and the truck is on jack stands so its too late for that. My primary concern is not to damage the system, as my ac works decent.

Any advice is appreciated?

Just let the refrigerant out. Plug the tubes to keep out dirt. You'll have to refill it with R-134a unless you use the R-12 substitute. I would flush it with the flush chemical and replace the dryer and maybe the expansion valve. They are fairly cheap parts. See the Sticky on Refresh your A/C system.

Expel the oil out of the compressor and replace it with new oil.

Edwin

N. Besonderes 03-02-2018 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith (Post 3344902)
Just let the refrigerant out.

Hey! you can't say that in Khalifornia. Not in a public forum, anyway. That's a Blasphemy infraction against Gaia, Mother Earth, and a whole bunch of other false deities. Expect a visit from the Stasi soon!

I always just release the refrigerant into the stupid atmosphere but, I like to put my face directly in front of it and then scare the kids with "Old-Man-Frosty-Face".

-Niemand

qmikep 03-03-2018 06:52 AM

Just let the refrigerant out. Plug the tubes to keep out dirt. You'll have to refill it with R-134a unless you use the R-12 substitute. I would flush it with the flush chemical and replace the dryer and maybe the expansion valve. They are fairly cheap parts. See the Sticky on Refresh your A/C system.

Edwin

Awesome, that Is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Edwin!

edwinsmith 03-03-2018 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by N. Besonderes (Post 3344905)
I always just release the refrigerant into the stupid atmosphere but, I like to put my face directly in front of it and then scare the kids with "Old-Man-Frosty-Face".

-Niemand

I was wondering what happened. Now we know. [laugh]

Governor Moonbeam can kiss my A$$!

Jim Lane 03-03-2018 02:16 PM

Also best not to vape in the area of the release.

As a card carrying member I cannot condone it.

However when I used to work for the county, it was common practice to vent it into the pit, But these were small systems and only held 45 pounds of R-22.

Since it is heavier than air on occasion I found mechanics who hid out on the connecting tunnels to smoke unconscious.

j_martin 03-04-2018 02:46 PM

Edwin

Or use C-12, the propane based refrigerant. You can mix your own from Coleman propane (driest on the market) and MSR IsoPro mountain stove fuel, which is 80/20 isobutane/propane. 71/29 is the ideal ration.

Cools better than R134, pressures lower than R134, and as a bonus leaks less. Cost of course is dirt cheap compared to R12.

As far as safety, most of Europe is going to propane refrigerant after extensive safety studies.