Ac condensor removal? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ac condensor removal?

Old 03-02-2018, 06:36 PM

Ac condensor removal?

Im currently pulling my engine out to fix a bunch of oil leaks and do some other odds n ends. My problem is I've only removed an engine an old jeep before which did not have an ac system. My question is what is the best way to remove the condenser and the refrigerant from the system?

Everything I've read said to take it to a ac shop. Well the trans, tase and and most of the front end is off and the truck is on jack stands so its too late for that. My primary concern is not to damage the system, as my ac works decent.

Any advice is appreciated?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Yes you have to discharge the AC system to remove the condensor, any way you can go the work without removing it? You'll have to get it re-charged once you have it all back together.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:04 PM

I don't think so. I'm going to be boxing the frame in the front and a bunch of other stuff. So I really need the work space.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by qmikep View Post
Im currently pulling my engine out to fix a bunch of oil leaks and do some other odds n ends. My problem is I've only removed an engine an old jeep before which did not have an ac system. My question is what is the best way to remove the condenser and the refrigerant from the system?

Everything I've read said to take it to a ac shop. Well the trans, tase and and most of the front end is off and the truck is on jack stands so its too late for that. My primary concern is not to damage the system, as my ac works decent.

Any advice is appreciated?
Just let the refrigerant out. Plug the tubes to keep out dirt. You'll have to refill it with R-134a unless you use the R-12 substitute. I would flush it with the flush chemical and replace the dryer and maybe the expansion valve. They are fairly cheap parts. See the Sticky on Refresh your A/C system.

Expel the oil out of the compressor and replace it with new oil.

Edwin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edwinsmith For This Useful Post:
qmikep (03-03-2018), thrashingcows (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith View Post
Just let the refrigerant out.
Hey! you can't say that in Khalifornia. Not in a public forum, anyway. That's a Blasphemy infraction against Gaia, Mother Earth, and a whole bunch of other false deities. Expect a visit from the Stasi soon!

I always just release the refrigerant into the stupid atmosphere but, I like to put my face directly in front of it and then scare the kids with "Old-Man-Frosty-Face".

-Niemand
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N. Besonderes For This Useful Post:
qmikep (03-03-2018), thrashingcows (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Just let the refrigerant out. Plug the tubes to keep out dirt. You'll have to refill it with R-134a unless you use the R-12 substitute. I would flush it with the flush chemical and replace the dryer and maybe the expansion valve. They are fairly cheap parts. See the Sticky on Refresh your A/C system.

Edwin
Awesome, that Is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Edwin!
Old 03-03-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by N. Besonderes View Post
I always just release the refrigerant into the stupid atmosphere but, I like to put my face directly in front of it and then scare the kids with "Old-Man-Frosty-Face".

-Niemand
I was wondering what happened. Now we know.

Governor Moonbeam can kiss my A$$!
The Following User Says Thank You to edwinsmith For This Useful Post:
N. Besonderes (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Also best not to vape in the area of the release.

As a card carrying member I cannot condone it.

However when I used to work for the county, it was common practice to vent it into the pit, But these were small systems and only held 45 pounds of R-22.

Since it is heavier than air on occasion I found mechanics who hid out on the connecting tunnels to smoke unconscious.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:46 PM

Edwin
Or use C-12, the propane based refrigerant. You can mix your own from Coleman propane (driest on the market) and MSR IsoPro mountain stove fuel, which is 80/20 isobutane/propane. 71/29 is the ideal ration.

Cools better than R134, pressures lower than R134, and as a bonus leaks less. Cost of course is dirt cheap compared to R12.

As far as safety, most of Europe is going to propane refrigerant after extensive safety studies.