Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   92 Inter-cooled Trans went (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/92-inter-cooled-trans-went-322191/)

slatemd 06-11-2015 04:31 PM

92 Inter-cooled Trans went

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...e76384850b.jpg

Hi Gang: Long time no post! Everything was working well until the trans soiled the bed on Mad Max the other day![verymad]

265 on the clock. Many 5.9 upgrades to include 2nd Gen oil pump, custom air intake ram, 2nd Gen turbo, KDP fix, 3 piece exhaust manifold, TPS delete, ERA 300 injectors, Rheostat controller for trans shift points, 4" straight pipe, Stock fuel pin tweaking, Monster air filter system, additional forced air induction to air filter, rebuilt rears and axles, rims, tires, stereo, pyro, boost, fuel pressure gauges, complete duel fuel set up, 3,000 lb air bags......The list goes on and on and on!

I have well over 25-K into this beast and I think I am at a cross road here boys!

I can drop 3-K to rebuild this auto with some up-grades, or double that figure by slapping in a 5-speed. I have always dreamed about Max being a 5-speed, but its a tad bit pricey.....................................

What am I to do here?

We all know that these trannys stink, but if I were to R&R this trans, what cost effective upgrades are out there for this unit that you like and why do you like them?

I built this truck for highway use pulling my trailers. I am not bashful with the big pedal on the right[laugh]

Please tender your advice.

My wife wants me to sell Max because she's not a fan of it's tank-like ride. I told her not to make me choose. She backed off[dummy] but I due need to exercise a little monetary discretion or I'm never going to hear the end of it!:(:(:(:(:(:(

Please help because The Mopar Nats in Carlisle is next month.............

dieselJon 06-11-2015 06:24 PM

When getting it rebuilt, a good torque converter and shift kit goes a long way. Also upgrade to a SFI or 2nd Gen flexplate.

I personally like Diesel Performance Converters. MY buddy has one in his 3rd Gen with a Firepunk built trans. Those 2 things woke up his truck. IT was like a sloppy wet noodle before. Now he has it tuned and bigger turbo.

RamGuy84 06-11-2015 10:05 PM

I would just build it .You don't have to have a 5 sp .Who want's to shift all the time ??? Not Me .Drop it in Gear and Fly . Lower Stall on Converter and you will be Fine .

j_martin 06-12-2015 11:10 AM

I pull a recreation double, about 11,000 lb, soon going to be more like 14,000 all the time. Original stock tranny lost the OD bearing, pretty much trashing it. Got it rebuilt with a Goerend low stall converter, Transgo shift kit, good frictions, and a few well known needed hard parts and new bearings for less than 3 grand. My son did the same. Both of us have since sheared the stock flex plates, so include an SFI flex plate in the upgrade. (You can get a new one for about $150)

My NATCO transmission shop says the A518 can tow all day long, if OD if desired with no problem. Just needs to be set up right and maintained. Also needs additional cooling if pulling hard for long periods of time.

Weak points are :
1. Radial bearing in tail shaft with considerable thrust load on it. Make sure it's good quality and in good shape.
2. Cooling. I have a fan cooled oil cooler mounted under the truck. Stock is hard to come by. There are decent after market versions. At full bore in a continuous climb, ie Homestake pass, trans oil temp stays below 175°
3. Engine cooling. Solved by Mishimoto aluminum radiator.

Oh, and when I need strong uphill acceleration, it'll outrun any 5 speed with an equivalent engine hands down. Full throttle no-spool down shifting is the key. I've broken the drivers loose with 3000 lbs bed and trailer load on warm asphalt by getting a little carried away pulling into traffic. (Talk about busy steering with 2 trailers in tow.) What folks don't understand is that the TQ "slippage" isn't all loss. A lot of it is torque multiplication. That's considerably less with a low stall converter, but it's still significant, and again "ratio" changing is dynamic and under full load as needed.

patdaly 06-12-2015 11:28 AM

I would build it and turn it into a lockup TC at the same time.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-cheap-318014/

slatemd 06-16-2015 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly (Post 3278133)
I would build it and turn it into a lockup TC at the same time.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-cheap-318014/

TC lock up? Sounds interesting. Now I need to research that (thanks a lot![dummy])

I just wish I could bring Max to "The Man" who will do it right, pay my money, and drive off into the sunset.

That does not exist around this neck of the woods, fellas........

slatemd 06-16-2015 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by RamGuy84 (Post 3278089)
I would just build it .You don't have to have a 5 sp .Who want's to shift all the time ??? Not Me .Drop it in Gear and Fly . Lower Stall on Converter and you will be Fine .

Because I like pain?????????

I do own a first Gen after all[duhhh][duhhh][duhhh]

slatemd 06-16-2015 08:00 AM

Here's a new idea that was just thrown my way:

My friend who owns a towing company says to me that I would be better off buying a factory rebuild straight from "Mother!"

I could go through his shop for a better price on said unit (nice), but more importantly, the rebuilt unit will have all of the re-call upgrades in it and that it will have a warranty that any dealership across the country has to honor!

He also informed me that the nation wide transmission shops don't honor out of state work because it happened to him. He had a tranny done in New York, it blew up in Florida, and he had to pay to get it rebuilt again.....

Hmmmmmmmm, says I.

Now I'm going to find out how much that option would cost (from Mother as well as what the warranty is) and find someone who would do the swap and for how much.

I would do it myself but I have one working arm due recent major surgery. Basically, I'm am going to be a one winged bird for the summer!

Oh happy, happy, joy, joy!

Any thoughts?

oliver foster 06-16-2015 08:11 AM

Did you ask if installing an aftermarket low stall Torque converter with the Mopar warranty was allowed?

slatemd 06-16-2015 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3278435)
Did you ask if installing an aftermarket low stall Torque converter with the Mopar warranty was allowed?

Have not gotten that far yet, I'm on hold calling upstate as so I can get more info before my guy calls a local dealership.................If I tender my VIN then they will know that its the same guy my guy called about....

A little clandestine leg work....

Basically, I'm fishing for info right about now...............

oliver foster 06-16-2015 08:35 AM

Fish on!

slatemd 06-16-2015 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3278438)
Fish on!

Well, after an exhausting day today I found out the Mother discontinued rebuilding the 518's. I contacted several Dodge dealerships.....No luck.

I even reached out to Jasper....Ditto!

I did find a guy with a really clean shop, one employee and three lifts. We talked about Max and he seemed very knowledgeable about the weak links of the 518, and the aftermarket upgrades that is a must. He asked me several key questions about my driving habits and any performance mods I made.

I liked him.

I will get Max to him by next week..........

Wish me luck[redface][redface][redface]

slatemd 06-17-2015 05:05 AM

Started looking at SFI Torque Convertors.....What am I looking for? I'm seeing them from $80.00 to $370.00????

Here's one add on eBay. What does this mean????

If you have any power adders or just want the best you have found it. Please note in the pictures that these are balanced so they run smooth, many are not so be careful, and they are 29.3 SFI Certified as seen in the photos as well which is a far improvement over the old 29.1 certified.

patdaly 06-17-2015 07:57 AM

You mean Torque Converter or Flex Plate?

SFI is certification for racing organizations, and like Mil-Spec just means a certain set of standards have been met.

New stock should hold for a long time, new billet would be better, both can get their guts ripped out by the Cummins.......

j_martin 06-17-2015 12:39 PM

SFI is rated to carry the TQ at extremely high speeds. 29.1 is 10,000 rpm. Don't know what 29.3 is.

They all are pretty beefy to meet that spec. They won't give you any trouble with mild to moderate turn up and road towing.

The stock flex plate, on the other hand, can be readily sheared with mild engine mods and a stiff torque converter. Been there, done that....twice.

I wouldn't pay over $140 for a new one, $100 for used if it's a fancy one.

mudbuster 06-17-2015 06:27 PM

I am interested in a low stall converter too but am having quite a time finding one that says it will bolt up to the cummins. Anybody have any info on bolt patterns or maybe specific part numbers?

patdaly 06-17-2015 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by mudbuster (Post 3278562)
I am interested in a low stall converter too but am having quite a time finding one that says it will bolt up to the cummins. Anybody have any info on bolt patterns or maybe specific part numbers?

Yea, 1-800 Dave Goerend.............

Seriously, if you are tight on bucks, find a reputable trans shop and they can order one in with less stall, but it will not be like getting a known quantity like a Goerend, etc. major player converter.

I think I paid something like 370 bucks for a lower stall unit when I had to put one in Brownie versus about a grand for a name brand. There was no comparison in the strength of the 2 units though, mine was just a stocker re-stalled.

j_martin 06-17-2015 08:55 PM

I put a Goerend converter in mine. Major difference in how it runs. It's a pretty low stall one, so I don't have tire ripping acceleration off the line, but the engine torque is high enough to give me all I need.

I had a little trouble with it. Sent it back. They opened it up and fixed it. There wasn't enough metal to weld it back together, so they put a billet front on it for no charge.

If and when I buy another TQ, that's where I'll go.

Dave's real number is (563) 778-2719

slatemd 06-24-2015 09:01 AM

Morning Boys:

Hey, what are people doing about replacing the 1/2" transmission lines on our 518's? I'm having a hard time finding them so I went to a couple of hydraulic hose people and I am getting dumb looks!

The truck is on the lift and time is important.

Thanks

Angry Johnny 06-24-2015 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by slatemd (Post 3278984)
Morning Boys:

Hey, what are people doing about replacing the 1/2" transmission lines on our 518's? I'm having a hard time finding them so I went to a couple of hydraulic hose people and I am getting dumb looks!

The truck is on the lift and time is important.

Thanks

1/2" steel line and a double flaring tool?

BC847 06-24-2015 04:29 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Refresh, Rebuild, Refurbish, Renew . . . . . . there's differences in them. ;)

With the most likely high mileage your trans has, you're gonna need more than just replacing the clutches, steels and gaskets.

you need to look hard at all the hard-parts . . ..

- Look hard at all the shaft splines for any twisting/shearing.
Attachment 50726

Make sure the splines/gear-teeth aren't pitted or galled, etc.
Attachment 50727

Look at the planetary gear-sets the same way. Include checking the spider-gear shafts for excessive wear.
Attachment 50728

As mentioned above, check all the shaft bushings for excessive wear.
Attachment 50729

Attachment 50730

Attachment 50731

Be sure to include the drum bushings as well. They wear too.
Attachment 50732

Attachment 50733

BC847 06-24-2015 04:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just because the ball bearings spin freely, it doesn't mean they aren't heavily worn. Support the inner-race and spin the outer race noting if the outer race wobbles as it spins. ;)
Attachment 50722

Again, as mentioned above, that overdrive section's big spring thrust washer can wear. An aftermarket thicker one is available along with a slightly stiffer spring.
Attachment 50723

Thinking of the valve-body, make sure to ensure the gear selector pawls are such that the gear selector spool-valve doesn't have slop it it that could lead to a clutch-pack being constantly partially engaged.
Attachment 50724

Speaking of the gear selector pawl (AKA Rooster-comb), look hard at where it's mounted on its shaft. it's basically stamped in place. Those stamps are known to get loose causing the rooster-comb to wobble. That lets the shifter's detente ball and spring to come loose, etc. :(
Attachment 50725

Get my point about the differences in refreshed vs renewed, etc?

Hope this helps some. :)

slatemd 06-24-2015 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny (Post 3278995)
1/2" steel line and a double flaring tool?

Cute!

Got a set made for me today.

slatemd 06-24-2015 08:07 PM

Thanks BC847.

It is apart on the bench and all of the clutches are burnt. We found that the radiator is packed with silica and that migrated into the trans.

Gonna by-pass the factory radiator and install an aftermarket trans cooler for now.

We sent my Torque Convertor out to have it rebuilt because the HD one we ordered for my unit did not fit.

I was told it is a very rare occurrence but it does happen from time to time.

Mine is not a "lock up" and my trans guy has no interest in converting it.

He tells me that I will be fine with the upgrades for how I use Max.

I also bought an aftermarket tans pan that holds 3 extra quarts. My factory pan was rusted good. I paid a bit more than the dealer OEM, but the dealer needed a week to get it to me.

I also bought 2 new trans mount bushings.

I do not have time as a luxury......

Time to throw $$$$$$ at it!

Welcome to the North East.......

It's been a long day.

BC847 06-24-2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by slatemd (Post 3279055)
We found that the radiator is packed with silica and that migrated into the trans.

Really.

slatemd 06-25-2015 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by BC847 (Post 3279057)
Really.

Yep.

Gray chalk like fine powder/cake in the lines, bottom of the trans pan, and in the radiator. I needed to 2" putty knife to scrape it out.

Could also be the particles of worn out clutch and or internal parts from the trans that went through the entire cooling system. That's why we will put in an aftermarket cooler as so I can do a super flush of the main radiator or replace it when I am able.

To add insult to injury, I blew up a fuel line in my 7.3 as I was backing down my driveway yesterday after running around the world chasing parts and trans lines for Max.

I have one arm due to extensive surgery to my dominant arm that will take several months (if I am lucky) to get it back to some form of function-ability.....

So, in a nut shell, my life is very frustrating right about now.

You gotta see how I type these posts on the puter!

Truly pathetic......[dummy]

j_martin 06-25-2015 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by slatemd (Post 3279079)
I have one arm due to extensive surgery to my dominant arm that will take several months (if I am lucky) to get it back to some form of function-ability.....

So, in a nut shell, my life is very frustrating right about now.

You gotta see how I type these posts on the puter!

Truly pathetic......[dummy]

Three words come to mind....

Dragon Naturally Speaking.....

for about $150, you can speak it into writing. If your time is worth $5 an hour, payback will be in weeks.

I'm amazed at how some posters can't seem to get their writings into reasonable English form. Your posts are very proper, even though you probably have to hit the backspace key with your nose.[laugh]

oliver foster 06-25-2015 07:49 AM

Sorry to hear your troubles there buddy.
I am hoping for a good day for you and Max today.

I can't help but picture you, loyal beagle in the lap, hitting the backspace key with your nose.

patdaly 06-25-2015 08:10 AM

Slate, your trans guy is right, a heavy duty build will do the job just fine.

Hope things start heading in the right direction!

dieselJon 06-25-2015 05:28 PM

Was there evidence of ATF in the radiator?

slatemd 06-26-2015 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by dieselJon (Post 3279129)
Was there evidence of ATF in the radiator?

Good question:

I do not know, but I will try to find that out today.

I'm thinking it was the worn out clutches and stuff that migrated through the entire cooling system.

An inexpensive solution (if there is foreign matter in the trans side of the cooler) would be to install an aftermarket trans cooler by-passing the factory set up thus eliminating any potential for said matter (if indeed is in the cooler) to enter the re-built trans. I think it to be a smart $100.00 investment to absolutely avoid and future contamination.

I'm going to go that route (even though I just had new trans lines made) because my reasearch leeds me to believe that an aftermarket trans cooler cools better then the intergrated cooler with my radiator.)

We also got an additional curve ball: The new input shaft is slightly different from Max's and now, the OEM pump does not seal properly.

Several calls have been made to find an exact duplicate of my OEM input shaft. If that can't be found then we are going to try to find/purchase a pump that mates to the new input shaft without blow by.

I am getting quite the education here Fellas!

My dreams of Max are now nightmares of many dollar bills flying out of my mattress!!!!!!!

Please, kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![verymad][verymad][verymad][verymad]

slatemd 06-26-2015 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin (Post 3279082)
Three words come to mind....

Dragon Naturally Speaking.....

for about $150, you can speak it into writing. If your time is worth $5 an hour, payback will be in weeks.

I'm amazed at how some posters can't seem to get their writings into reasonable English form. Your posts are very proper, even though you probably have to hit the backspace key with your nose.[laugh]

Thanks for the laugh! I truly needed that this morning!!!!!!!

I was educated by nuns (one was Military that hated me sooooo much, she followed me up to the next grade!!!!!)

So, when I see the new "text-ing language"' on my phone and/or computer, I cringe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is basically my current mind set:

It is bad enough that I have pain.

It is bad enough I cannot preform any work at the moment to help myself.

It is bad enough I have to relay on other people for help.

It is bad enough that Momma is breaking my balls over Max.

I can deal with all of the above mentioned......However, what's really killing me is my Beagle has been sick and in pain.

I've spent more on him these past two weeks than I spent on Max.

I really wish he can tell me what's wrong.

Poor little guy.

He LOVES Max because when we go out on a trip, I simply raise the center counsel and he sprawls out and sleeps with his head in my lap totally content and happy.

I need to get Max up and running soon as so we can male bond on our mountain trips......

Let's see what today brings..................

TTFN

(Ta ta, for now)

slatemd 06-26-2015 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3279083)
Sorry to hear your troubles there buddy.
I am hoping for a good day for you and Max today.

I can't help but picture you, loyal beagle in the lap, hitting the backspace key with your nose.

Thanks!

You are the best-est Mopar Dude in the whole wide world!

Tru-dat! (cringe on the lingo)

Let's see what today brings...................(Do I really have to leave the house today??????????)

I don't wanna!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

slatemd 06-26-2015 12:12 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...d035b15dee.jpg
Here he is......The KING of hounds (well, at least HE thinks He is.......Being completely spoiled has nothing, I say nothing, to do with His feelings of Benevolence.......:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::c ool: )

patdaly 06-27-2015 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by slatemd (Post 3279180)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...d035b15dee.jpg
Here he is......The KING of hounds (well, at least HE thinks He is.......Being completely spoiled has nothing, I say nothing, to do with His feelings of Benevolence.......:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::c ool: )

And yet he has that "don't take my picture fool" look......... Mr. T meets King....

Good looking dog!

slatemd 06-28-2015 04:47 AM

Thanks patdaly...........

NJTman 06-28-2015 07:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'll see your beagle .....

Attachment 50718

and raise you one Cavalier King Charles

Attachment 50719

Don't make me bet the Shepard, as you'll definitely lose.....[laugh]

oliver foster 06-28-2015 08:20 AM

NJTman,That is a happy looking load of dog in your Extra cab.
Where do you sit?[laugh]

NJTman 06-28-2015 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3279318)
NJTman,That is a happy looking load of dog in your Extra cab.
Where do you sit?[laugh]

She's going to be 14 this August. Big party planned. Birthday cake, with a filling of milkbones, and Frontline Plus for all attendees that day. That's why she's happy.

If the beagle drives, then I'm usually strapped to the roof...

oliver foster 07-03-2015 10:47 AM

Slate Doctor…

Are you and the old beagle cruising around in Max yet?

I am hoping for a good report, old boy.