1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2nd Gen Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen Radiator

I was wondering if anyone has fabed one in a 1 gen and did it make a difference. I've tried just about everything to cool my truck down when towing. I installed a griffen radiator, the tightest TC from Goerend and didn't see any difference. The only other things I can think of is a bigger rad and disconnecting the heat exchanger in the summer. Anyone disconnected ther HE and seen any difference in tranny or coolant temp when towing?
I'm towing about 10,000lbs.

Thanks
Mike
Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How thick is the replacement radiator? One of the MOPAR mags put in a new alumium radiator and it wouldn't cool the car. Turns out it was almost a half inch thinner than the old one.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your fan clutch working or did you try to install some electric fans?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 AM

"How thick is the replacemen radiator?"

My aluminum rad is a half inch thicker

"Is your fan clutch working or did you try to install some electric fans?"

The fan clutch is working and I did try electric fans 5000cfm. The electric fans made heat up more even when I wasn't towing. I have my stock fan back in now.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:54 AM

Are you relying on the stock gauges?

Try getting a aftermarket one and see what it says...
Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by dieselJon
Are you relying on the stock gauges?

Try getting a aftermarket one and see what it says...
I still only have the stock temp gauge which I feel is still pretty accurate but your right I should get a good aftermarket gauge. In my owners manual it says with an auto trans I'm good up to 14,000 GCVW. A truck like mine with a stick is good up to 17,000. I'm thinking even with a tight TC it's not enough to keep things cool as they should be. I was hoping someone out there has tried by passing the H.E. and has towed heavy to see how things worked out. I'm going to keep working on this thing till I get it fixed, I like my truck and don't want to get a different one.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 AM

Do you have an under-bed tranny cooler? They help a lot!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Yes, I have a Derale 25,000 gvw w/fan under the bed and the Derale tranny pan that holds more fluid with cooling tubes.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:19 PM

Then cooling should not be a problem! I would get a tranny temp gauge and a engine temp gauges. The tranny should be between 190-210*, same as engine temp.

Now, did you also replace either the thermostat or the water pump???
Old 12-31-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by dieselJon
Then cooling should not be a problem! I would get a tranny temp gauge and a engine temp gauges. The tranny should be between 190-210*, same as engine temp.

Now, did you also replace either the thermostat or the water pump???
I did replace the thermostat but not the water pump. The thermostat was a stant, it acts the same as the one I relpaced which was a cummins. I've been thinking about the water pump but it hasn't been giving me any trouble. I guess it's possible the impeller could be bad. I do have a temp gauge for the tranny the probe is in the pan. I've never seen the temp go over 140 when towing even in the summer. I don't think it's possible to get the tranny any cooler.

Thanks for the help dieseljon
Old 12-31-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike T.
I still only have the stock temp gauge which I feel is still pretty accurate but your right I should get a good aftermarket gauge.

Thanks
My factory temp gauge would swing from the two center marks on the gauge. It worried me, so installed an after factory gauge. The swing only shows as a difference of 2 degrees F.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by RuralCruiser007
My factory temp gauge would swing from the two center marks on the gauge. It worried me, so installed an after factory gauge. The swing only shows as a difference of 2 degrees F.
I do need to get a good gauge.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 06:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When you talk about excessive heat, are you talking about engine coolant or transmission fluid? You mention both, but they're two totally different systems, and addressing excessive heat in them is approached very differently.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 AM

Nope. Not when you have a heat exchanger right below the manifold. I have noticed my coolant increases with a subsequent change in the tranny fluid. Mainly while racing and having a sloppy converter.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen a few trucks that had the HE shut off with ball valves in the summer and it helped keep temps down and in the winter opened back up to warm trans up faster .
I wll be installing a 40,000 lbs cooler that will get trans fluid strait from the hot line and bypass the HE in the summer .with no lock up TC its a fight to keep things cool

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Radiator