1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2nd gen D70 in a 1st gen observations

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen D70 in a 1st gen observations

For those interested: Differences between a 2nd gen and 1st gen rear from what I have observed

- overall about 10 inches wider, running stock 2nd gen rims they still fit in the wheelwell and fill it nicely IMO, i'll get pics later.
- Where the lift blocks sit on the rear, those pedestal looking things are taller than ours, and if I got 4in front lift springs the truck would sit about level, otherwise I have more of a rake
-2nd gens have 3in springs where as we have 2.5in, and all you have to do to make the ubolts clear the pedestal thing mentioned above is notch out each corner of the pedestal to clear the 2.5in springs.
-I cut a piece of the 2nd gen shock mount off on the drivers side for the 1st gen shock mount to bolt up, you can remove them altogether but I was too lazy and kinda pressed for time.
-13in drums as opposed to 10in on the first gen. Stopping went from great to AWESOME.

**If you go this route and replace the rears as an assembly, take it from someone that had to run for parts a five times, get: wheel cylinders, brake lines, compression unions, and wheel bearings since you'll already be in there. Also get two new spindle lock nuts, because the nylon is a one-time use. ALSO the tool to remove the axle nuts is 2 9/16" and I only found it new through Snap-On for $32. The nut themselves is available aftermarket but shipping is a few days out. The local parts places (advanced auto parts, pep boys, auto zone, napa, etc.) did not have them at all so I was forced to go to the Dodge dealer and pay $38 A PIECE at dealer cost!!! They are $52 retail. Sadly I was impatient when removing the nuts and I payed the price in the long run. When removing the drivers side I didn't have the tool and spent 40 minutes with a hammer and an angled impact prybar spinning the nut off slowly. I got it off, and decided I would be more productive on the passenger side using an air hammer/chisel. Bad idea, as in my haste I stripped the last three threads and had to spend an hour and a half making the nut work and I'm pretty sure I stripped it. Learn from my mistakes and have the tool in advance!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**I am mistaken on the size of the drums, I don't know the actual dimensions of either, but those on the 1ton srw for the 2nd gen are noticeably bigger.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Drums on our D70 are 12". Just for clarification.