Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   1992 Bumper for Wench (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/1992-bumper-wench-318627/)

waveone 07-23-2014 04:34 PM

1992 Bumper for Wench

As posted in another thread, I am considering replacing the existing bumper because the bumper pad is beginning to delaminate a bit. My question is, does anyone have an opinion as to the type of bumper I could source?

Ultimately I would like to install a wench on the front, so it would need to be able to accommodate that, yet not be too bulky.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

rrgrassi 07-23-2014 04:44 PM

How would you get a wench to agree to be tied to the bumper??:D

I believe you would need a bumper designed to mount up a winch.

mknittle 07-23-2014 04:53 PM

I think you mean Winch.

this is from Webster's dictionary
1wench
noun \ˈwench\

: a young woman; especially : a young woman who is a servant

Which might not be a bad idea either.

P.S. I am not trying to be a jerk, I misspell tons of words. But this one always makes me chuckle.

I once saw an ad in the classifieds that said two 8000 pound wenches.[laugh]

here is a link from a request I made a while back.https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t318463.html

waveone 07-23-2014 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 3245031)
I think you mean Winch.

this is from Webster's dictionary
1wench
noun \ˈwench\

: a young woman; especially : a young woman who is a servant

Which might not be a bad idea either.

P.S. I am not trying to be a jerk, I misspell tons of words. But this one always makes me chuckle.

I once saw am ad in the classifieds that said two 8000 pound wenches.[laugh]

LOL- yes of course, grammar and context is everything. Even on a diesel forum

wInch..... is what I mean. Either that or just a bit heavier bumper. Yet I like the idea of a ........wInch for various and sundry utilitarian purposes.

PS Just one 8000 pound wEnch would be a lot to handle. Talk about Whole Lotta Rosie...

mknittle 07-23-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by waveone (Post 3245032)
LOL- yes of course, grammar and context is everything. Even on a diesel forum

wInch..... is what I mean. Either that or just a bit heavier bumper. Yet I like the idea of a ........wInch for various and sundry utilitarian purposes.

PS Just one 8000 pound wEnch would be a lot to handle. Talk about Whole Lotta Rosie...

[laugh] Glad you took that in the sprit of fun as I meant it.[laugh]

But 2 X 8000 =16000#[laugh]

mknittle 07-23-2014 05:24 PM

I a also thinking about bumpers. There are some nice aftermarket ones out there but the price is too much for me. I will just have to make some I guess.

flyboy129 07-23-2014 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. 6" c channel face with 4" c channel mounts that slide into the frame. 2" angle finishing off the sides. Some 2" angle bracing that ties the outer ends back to the 4" mounts. Simple, but effective. Don't know how dressed up you want it. I went for total utilitarian function over form. [guitar]

mknittle 07-23-2014 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by flyboy129 (Post 3245049)
Here's mine. 6" c channel face with 4" c channel mounts that slide into the frame. 2" angle finishing off the sides. Some 2" angle bracing that ties the outer ends back to the 4" mounts. Simple, but effective. Don't know how dressed up you want it. I went for total utilitarian function over form. [guitar]

I like to look at what people have done. and get ideas from different ones.
Yes yours is utilitarian and it gives me ideas.

now that I hijacked the thread.

oliver foster 07-23-2014 07:06 PM

What…where are all the wenches?

mknittle 07-23-2014 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster (Post 3245060)
What…where are all the wenches?

You jsut want to mount one on your bumper.[laugh]

w250 guy 07-23-2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 3245062)

That right there made me almost fall off my chair!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

waveone 07-23-2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by w250 guy (Post 3245067)
That right there made me almost fall off my chair!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Um, yeah this went off the rails quickly...

Mounting a wench on your bumper might be a bit of a special challenge.....

So now back on topic- Any good after market ideas or sources?

Great fabricated bumper flyboy. Very creative and utilitarian. Probably enough room to mount...never mind

oliver foster 07-23-2014 07:38 PM

When your right…your right!
;)

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 3245062)

oliver foster 07-23-2014 07:42 PM

Sorry to de-rail.
On a serious note...
Reunel out of Yuba City Ca was making some really nice bumpers for the Dodge several years back.
I have had one on my 2nd gen for about 14 years now, it has put several deer in the freezer rather than total my truck over the years.
They where not cheap, but they where an well made unit.

93-12Smoke 07-23-2014 07:43 PM

If I can ever get my house issue settled and sold I'm looking to buy a new place and have a shop built. When that day comes I plan to start offering some 1st gen bumpers at a more reasonable price. I know what mine cost to build and guarantee its stronger than anything offered now. It would easily accommodate a winch or even two wEnches.