12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Transmission oil cooler line leaking

Old 11-29-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission oil cooler line leaking

I have a new to me 95 2500 cummins, 225K. I just picked it up from an old friend who doesn't use it enough any more, had be sitting for a bit, no long drives for 2 years, just around the golf course to keep it running every month or so. He told me that on rare occ. the RPMs would jump up a few 100 when he was around 55-65 mph. Has done it since new and he could never get it to reproduce for the dealer. So when I drove it, sure enough it did it for me. I read about the TPS and drilled my hole, cleaned it out. I also check the fluid level, notice a bit of fluid on the cooler lines. Sure enough it was low. So I pulled the pan and replace the filter and fluid. It didn't look horrible, a bit of fines in the on the pan. Anyway I found the source of the leak, it's on the cooler lines as they come out of the tranny and go up to the right side of the engine, just below the turbo. It's hard to for me to get the make of the pump, at least I think it is a pump. Where the lines go through a plate, and attached to a pump (assuming the fluid pump) they drip a bit of fluid. Not a lot, slow drip only when in gear of course. I can't really tell what kinda of fitting that is as the lines go thought the metal plate. Looks like it could be a quick connect, I have read about those problems. Has anyone had similar problems with this? Simple Fix? Or should I take it in for service?

Thanks

andy
Old 11-29-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'95s came with funky plastic connectors that were prone to fail often taking the tranny with them. Best bet is to replace all the tranny lines with the new style, but it will get expensive. Cheaper than a new tranny though.
Parts list here http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio..._couplings.htm

Some people get crafty and replace with hydraulic hose.
Don't know if this is for you.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks like a fun job. I really hated fixing the cooler lines on my 93' Dodge V6 1500. This looks like an easier job than that.

I'll post a picture of where the leak is coming from tonight. I am sure what you are talking about is the problem.

So would it be worth while to get a noise filter for my TPS as well?
It shifts a 100Xs better now that I pulled the pan and got the fluid level back up, But it still increases RPMS here and there.

I was thinking about taking in to the dealer to have the tranny serviced, figured it might be a good idea since its not been in constant use for 2 years. Any thoughts on that.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 PM

Your RPM problum may be the TQ going in and out of lockup , on mine the cause was the brake switch was just to the point of hiting a bump and then the pedle would hit the sw. and that turns off the lockup and cruse , so I bent the mnt. for the sw. and solved that problum , the leak is some thing els , thats not a pump but a tank thats part of a cooling heating system for the trans. again on mine it goes from a steel line to a hose with fittings thats about 8-10 inchs long and the hose is leaking , I think thats what your talking about , and theres an after market hose that is spouse to work better but I haven't found yet.