12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

track bar/torque rod/stabilizer: which is which?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
track bar/torque rod/stabilizer: which is which?

Lots I don't know here regarding definitions, but I think some mechanics have the same trouble. Let me describe two things under the front end of my '97 Dodge Cummins 2500, you tell me what is the correct name for them, please:

A. Solid round bar, about four feet long. Has, "U," shape on one end. Joint, like tie-rod end on one end; solid on other end with, "eye," hole.

B. Parallel to it on the truck is another rod, a little more complicated, and it is hooked at it's middle to the shock absorber that dampens steering. Also in this rod's middle are two areas threaded and what looks like a bracket with a release bar in it. Ends connect to steering.

My truck is not here to describe any better, but I hope this is sufficient. Also, I do not yet have a Dodge manual which would answer all this.

Here's the story: when I bought my '97 about a month ago, a mechanic I know looked it over. He had me sit in the cab with the truck still on the ground, turn on the key to free the steering wheel, and work the steering wheel back and forth while he watched under the front end. Then we switched places. He said the "torque bar" was fine and he pointed to, "A," above. He then said the "track bar" showed a little excessive movement and pointed to, "B," above. Selling dealer agreeed to replace it when I got the truck home and settled (which is now). Local Dodge dealer looked it over last week and ordered the part which turned out to be, "A," above. I quizzed the dealer today and he calls part, "A," above, torque bar or track bar and uses the terms as interchangeable. He calls the part above, "B," the steering stabilizer, (which makes more sense to me than anything else.)

What are the right names for these?? Sorry to be so long winded.

Dennis in E. WA state
Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 PM

A is the Track Bar. B is the drag link ,it is absolutely part of the steering system.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:08 PM

drag link

Thanks, frm. So the Track Bar is the one so often replaced and the one folks here like to replace with a longer-lasting after-market unit.

Any idea how often the drag link needs attention?

Thanks again,
Dennis
Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 AM

The drag link will depend on th type of use /abuse your truck gets .It is the only link between the steering box and the axle so the more often you steer turn the wheel the more chance for wear .It likely has grease fittings on both ends so if its tight to start keep it greased and it should last a while.The track bar on the other hand is just a poorly designed set up and pulls on the tie rod end at the wrong angles and therefore tears them apart.Your mechanic friend should be able to help you understand this stuff better.
Further to your first post a steering stabilizer is not standard equipment on these trucks .It is an aftermarket item and consists of an extra crossmember with a bearing and shaft extension to support the steering gearbox .Search this site for stearing stablizers or DSS and I think you'll understand better than I have explaned it.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are the manufacturers of the DSS and the aftermarket track bar, should help you understand with some pictures http://www.solidsteel.biz/index.htm
Old 06-12-2007, 10:03 AM

thanks

Thanks. Good info. That aftermarket crossmember and bearing look like a great idea and not hard to install.

I really want to have this truck in good shape mechanically and my concerns are longevity and durability. Weak points and wear points I want to learn WAY before problems occur....if I can. 127K miles on truck at this point.

Dowl pin kit goes in today. Along with both fuel filters, coolant change and new thermostat/temp-regulator. And new track/torque bar.

I need fuel gauge in-tank sender, but will wait a bit on that as it is not a threatening item.

Tires are new; brakes good; all fluids after today should be good. Am considering different fluid for my manual trans.

Not sure what to do after all this.

Dennis