12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Injectors for best 12V Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
History Channel? Facts? surely you jest! HC is good entertainment, but bad history

Anyway, I'd recommend some DDP 215s with some mild honing done.

Set the timing at 16.5° or so and see if you don't pick up some mpg...
Old 04-24-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billv45
Well, given my current tool situation (don't have the timing tools) I've slated a valve lash adjustment for this weekend. How far off of the 0.010 intake or 0.020 exhaust numbers will my truck have to be off for me to exclaim "Eureka! that was it!!!" (actually I would yell something a bit different but as this is a family board...)

also anyone know why John Faughn's P7100 link below doesn't work for me? I end up at http://www.cumminsdatabase.com/
I end up there when I follow a lot of other links in the archives too, but not all of them. Some work just fine.

And on a lighter note, anyone know why "The Road Warrior" (Mad Max) movie was shown on the History channel yesterday? Didn't know that was based on fact...
Thats does not look like the site , when I put it in my bookmarks/favorite ,
I'm collecting so many that its get hard to keep track , I even started [ a long time ago ] to do seprate folders for each subject.
Like now some time goes by and it changes.
The one I remember gave info on almost anything you would want ,
Old 04-24-2006, 03:43 PM

Valve adj.
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/val.../12_valve.html

Timing,
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm
Tim.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:54 PM

I don't know for sure, but I think anyone can check timing just by using the timing pins. There is one for the engine that sticks into the pump gear (or else it's the cam gear) and one in the pump itself. If they will both go into thier respecive holes, then the timing is where the factory set it. You don't need any special tools just to check it. If they won't both go in at the same time, then the timing is different from cummins spec and you could figure out which way by playing with the pins. Just don't try to rotate the engine with one of the pins "in".
Old 04-25-2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Extreme Diesel
I don't know for sure, but I think anyone can check timing just by using the timing pins. There is one for the engine that sticks into the pump gear (or else it's the cam gear) and one in the pump itself. If they will both go into thier respecive holes, then the timing is where the factory set it. You don't need any special tools just to check it. If they won't both go in at the same time, then the timing is different from cummins spec and you could figure out which way by playing with the pins. Just don't try to rotate the engine with one of the pins "in".

/\ /\ /\

Anyone else know is this true? Just wondering, never seen it on here before???

thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 08:11 AM

that is how the factory times trucks, you pin the pump and pin the motor and bolt them together. the procedure is in any factory manual you look at.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:17 PM

are the Dinomite stage 2s good for fuel economy?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:34 PM

Is your torque converter locking up.I know when the clutch in the tc goes bad or the tps is bad and you dont get lockup the mileage drops off alot.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by fuel4me
...im not sure what my stock sticks ran but if you want a set you could have them
Thanks for your offer but $ 150.00 is way too much
Old 05-03-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by billv45
Thanks all, I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here, both directly and searching the archives. The PO claimed he didn't do "anything else" to the truck but it definitly could have slipped time a bit. To be perfectly honest, I'm a little intimidated by the procedure and a little put off by the initial cost of the tools needed. Any links to or detailed instructions/hints on setting the timing will be greatly appreciated. How much would a good wrench charge to check/adjust the timing? Anyone know a good wrench near B'ham AL?

I've also gotten email saying that I should check the valve lash, which definitley can't hurt anyway but is that a common MPG robbing item?

Fuel4me thanks for the offer and I'd like to take you up on it, check your email
BillV45, I just had my timing bumped, valves adjusted and they had to put a new throttle cable at Tupelo Diesel Service. Labor ran about $220. My truck runs great now....get that 16* timing !