Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   I don't know anything, and I need to know everything. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/i-dont-know-anything-i-need-know-everything-320795/)

gorms 01-24-2015 09:50 PM

Killer dowel pin (KDP) comes to mind for first repair. Otherwise how does it drive? No sense in making it run harder if it handles like turd. Lots of little quirky things with these trucks that will make driving them no fun regardless how good it runs. Good truck to learn with though!

TayTay 01-24-2015 11:06 PM

Runs pretty good, It stalls though. Gonna take it to a shop sometime soon for it to be checked out and get a tune up.

patdaly 01-25-2015 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by TayTay (Post 3265749)
Runs pretty good, It stalls though. Gonna take it to a shop sometime soon for it to be checked out and get a tune up.

NEGATIVE!!!!!!!

There really isn't a "tune up" per say for these, and shops that can do anything other than screw them up are rare, most don't know as much of diesels than you already do.

Save yourself a lot of grief and get the FSM coming, and ask questions here man..........

First thing, what does it idle at? If it isn't around 750-800 RPMs at idle in gear, then all you need to do is adjust the Idle RPMs, they get a bit of wear and drop lower. Kind of a pain, but all it takes is a 10 MM wrench and skinny arms. If you do not know how long it has been since the fuel filter has been changed and the pre-filter cleaned, then that is also a worthy try.

Since you are going to be ordering a FSM anyway, might as well get a fuel filter and a prefilter service kit at the same time..... ( oil filter too.... )

'97-'98 Dodge Turbo Diesel FS19598 Fuel Filter-Geno's Garage

'94-'98 Dodge Cummins Fuel Heater/Pre-Filter Service Kit-Geno's Garage

'89-'15 Dodge Cummins LF16035 StrataPore Oil Filter-Geno's Garage

TayTay 01-25-2015 02:46 PM

So I'm gonna change the fluids, get some gauges, new filters. I'm thinking to getting new running boards. Maybe an ECU, I was told not too, but why shouldn't I get an ECU?

sherod 01-25-2015 02:59 PM

Please listen to they guys. Do NOT spend money until you get a handle on what this engine is. Change the filters, but go no further until you get the Shop Manual and do some reading. You can spend huge amounts of needless money. These engines were made for medium duty trucks and stuffed into our little ones. There is plenty of power available, but you MUST know what you are doing first. Do the filters, grab the book, read through the forums, then ask a bunch of questions.

Lot's of high end knowledge on this site and folks will gladly share....

TayTay 01-25-2015 04:31 PM

Okay, thank you.

Robert Rausch 01-25-2015 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by sherod (Post 3265800)
Please listen to these guys. Do NOT spend money until you get a handle on what this engine is. Change the filters, but go no further until you get the Shop Manual and do some reading. You can spend huge amounts of needless money. These engines were made for medium duty trucks and stuffed into our little ones. There is plenty of power available, but you MUST know what you are doing first. Do the filters, grab the book, read through the forums, then ask a bunch of questions.

Lot's of high end knowledge on this site and folks will gladly share....

Ditto what sherod says.

Originally Posted by patdaly (Post 3265794)
NEGATIVE!!!!!!!

There really isn't a "tune up" per say for these, and shops that can do anything other than screw them up are rare, most don't know as much of diesels than you already do.

Save yourself a lot of grief and get the FSM coming, and ask questions here man..........

First thing, what does it idle at? If it isn't around 750-800 RPMs at idle in gear, then all you need to do is adjust the Idle RPMs, they get a bit of wear and drop lower. Kind of a pain, but all it takes is a 10 MM wrench and skinny arms. If you do not know how long it has been since the fuel filter has been changed and the pre-filter cleaned, then that is also a worthy try.

Since you are going to be ordering a FSM anyway, might as well get a fuel filter and a prefilter service kit at the same time..... ( oil filter too.... )

Ditto what patdaly says too.

Have you found the fuel filter location yet?

Pay attention here and now, or you will pay $$ for it later--there are lots of mechanics out there who will gladly take your money and mess up your truck.

John_P 01-25-2015 06:04 PM

Welcome to the website TayTay! Congratulations on getting that 1997 Dodge Cummins Diesel Pickup from your Grandpa. The older 1994-1998.5 Dodge CTD 12 valve trucks are about the most reliable Dodge Diesel Pickups that were made.
Like the other members, I have a highly modified 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve which I bought new and now has 315,000 miles.

The other members have given you some very good advice and tips. I would add to try and get your diesel fuel at stations which pump alot of diesel and as they said keep those fuel filters changed regularly. I am not sure what you mean when you say you want to get a "new ECU??" The 1994-1998.5 Dodge CTD 12 valve trucks have an engine ECM but I have hot heard of very many going bad.

Good luck Sir!

-------
John_P

TayTay 01-25-2015 06:45 PM

This is the one I was talking about Edge Products Evolution 85100 - Programmer | O'Reilly Auto Parts

patdaly 01-25-2015 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by TayTay (Post 3265798)
So I'm gonna change the fluids, get some gauges, new filters. I'm thinking to getting new running boards. Maybe an ECU, I was told not too, but why shouldn't I get an ECU?

Because your computer has absolutely zero to do with the engine. Computer control did not come about until the 24 valves with our trucks, 1998-1/2. While the Space Shuttle ( my term for them ) trucks are easy to push buttons and build power, they lack in the intrinsic ability to get you home with nothing more than baling wire and duct tape.

Our "tuner" is a set of wrenches........... And that's a good thing, because you can make it run like a scared jackrabbit with very little money ( until you cook your trans that is..... [laugh] )

Robert Rausch 01-25-2015 06:52 PM

That Edge 85100 costs $500. If you really are that set on getting it after all the information here, then go ahead and do it. That's all I've got to say.

leeboy 01-25-2015 11:24 PM

Welcome Taytay ... My mechanic friend who owns his own shop doesn't even like to touch diesels , he admits he doesn't know them and dosent get in them very often. I've learned all,the basics off here , and still ask questions . When you do change your fuel filter , don't panic when it doesn't start back up right away .[whistle]

Mike L 01-25-2015 11:58 PM

Ummmmmmm - Taytay - These fellers are practically busting their humps trying to help you. Pull your head outta your butt and read and hear what they are saying. Regardless of what your "pals" are trying to talk you into buying they don't likely know squat compared to the collective wisdom of this forum. Just saying, YMMV

Mike

Robert Rausch 01-26-2015 01:24 AM

OK, I've calmed down a little bit. See TayTay, a modern gasoline engine IS controlled by a computer, and that pricey little box from Edge Products will allow you to change the parameters on a modern gas engine so it will put out a lot more h.p. How much more? Maybe, what... 25 h.p. more? 40 h.p. more? That's a respectable increase.

However, the 12V Cummins diesel is NOT... repeat NOT controlled by a computer. There IS a computer in the truck, but it does other things. The 12V Cummins is pretty mechanical. You will recall what I said about the fuel plate in the INJECTION PUMP being critical to the amount of power the engine produces.

My '95 in stock form produced 160 h.p. With just ONE mod--that of an aftermarket fuel plate--I added 100 h.p. NO fancy Edge box needed. NO timing change. NO bigger injectors. Think boy, before you part with $500.00 for that Edge box.

patdaly 01-26-2015 08:02 AM

Jeeze guys, give the poor kid a break, we don't need to scare him away before he understands our "unique" way of helping.......

TayTay, ask away!