12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Drivers side squeal while driving, stops when brakes are applied

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers side squeal while driving, stops when brakes are applied

I have a 97 Ram 2500 RCLB. Recently (last 1000 miles) there has been an intermittent squeal coming from the front drivers side wheel. Brakes are at about 75% so it's not the wear indicators. I pulled the caliper off and sanded the pad a little thinking it was just glazed but to no avail. The dust shield is not contacting the rotor either. The pads are not vibrating as I lubed the backings also. The truck does not pull to either side while driving nor when I'm braking. I'm honestly stumped as to what could be the culprit. The wheel bearing shows no sign of play however it does not rotate as easy as the corresponding side with the calipers removed. If the wheel bearing was going I know it would squeal but would it stop when the brakes are applied? Any help would be nice, this is kicking my butt. Thank you
Old 06-14-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
I suppose it could - I think the clamping of the pads against the rotor essentially changes the mass of the rotor and the bearing since they are all in contact with each other (even though over very small contact patches in the case of the bearing), thus changing resonant frequency.

I'm not an engineer or physicist, so I could be way off on this. I am very interested to see what others say.

If nothing else, change the bearing and see what happens - or loosen (repack?) and reset the bearing first, since it has more resistance