12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

the dreaded death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Thursday I got my tires rotated and the alignment done at the local Tire Kingdom. Two days later I was on the highway and I hit a bumpy patch. All hell broke loose, and I had to wrestle the truck to the side of the road. I thought I blew a tire but the tires were fine. My best guess is that this was the infamous "death wobble". After reading about how the alignment could be the cause of my problems, I took it back to them with the printout provided by NMCTD. They checked the alignment and gave these numbers: Caster: (Left: 3.8)(Right: 4.3) saying that they were "dead on". They said that they can't change it to match the exact numbers on the sheet, but only get it inside the range given by the manufacturer. Is this true, or were they being lazy and jerking me around? They said it is probably the tires, yet it never happened until after the "alignment". Can anyone offer some help on what to do next?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:48 PM
JPM

The Fix

If your front end alignment was set to factory spec. That is your problem. My truck had the same problem after new wheels,tires,tie rods ball joints steering box steering stabalizer,shocks,track bar,and two times being aligned I found a old timer that told me the problem before even looking at my truck. He said if it is aligned to spec that ,that is the problem He set the toe to 1/2 the factory spec. I have put over 10k on the truck with no problem many times been down the back roads over 100mph and I don't even think about the wobble that use to scare the s*** out of me. Good Luck and please post back after you try this.. If you want to call me Pat 352 636 9366
The guy that fixed mine is just outside Leesburg FL. I can find his number if you like but all he did was set toe to half spec...
Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Funny that you mention toe specs. Until you brought it up, I didn't even notice it. I went back and looked at the printout they gave me and the initial toe measurements were: Left: -.25 Right: .30. The final measurements for the toe, and the only thing that they must have changed were: Left: .00 Right: .05. Everything else on the sheet is indentical between the initial and final measurements. While they went on about how the caster was right on and they didn't have to change it, they "forgot" to tell me that the toe was way off and they had to make it right. Oh well, since they fixed it, I'll let it slide. We'll see if that does the trick and takes care of the problem. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Aaron
Old 01-12-2009, 03:12 AM

Exclamation Similar proble PLEASE HELP!!!

I also have shaking.. BUT mine is not felt in the steering system.. I dont know what to do!!! I am going broke chasing this problem!!!

My shake is felt in the cab and shakes/ vibrates the console, seat, me, dash, shifter, you can see the things in the cab shaking. moderate not violent shaking

Once again I DO NOT feel it in the steering and is not caused by any kind of bump or road impact. truck DOES NOT pull either direction

This starts at about 58 mph to 63 mph right where I normally drive. it is constant and does not go away unless I am over or under those speeds. weather power is applied or not.

What I have done so far by advice from this great forum
New Moog tracbar, ball joints, multiple alignments, tie rod ends, driveline u-joits. Shocks.
All this seems to be steering related, and has had no effect.
can anyone help save my wallet???
ThANKS!!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Similar problem PLEASE HELP!!!
I'll bet your motor or tranny mounts are loose.
Simple fix, just tighten them up.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I can only pray th its soehing THAT simple... I will give it a shot when I find out where those bolts are.. Thanks.!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by infidel
I am having the same problem except it only occurs in hot weather (90 +) and while accelerating. I have checked the transmission and motor mounts - all good. Shaking does not affect the steering wheel. I suspect my torque converter.

John (DH)
Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by BBWD
I am having the same problem except it only occurs in hot weather (90 +) and while accelerating. I have checked the transmission and motor mounts - all good. Shaking does not affect the steering wheel. I suspect my torque converter.

John (DH)
hmm hot weather only... Do you use the A/C? the added drag on the motor or compressor activation may change some of the balancing dynamics??
i dunno just throwing that out there..
Old 01-16-2009, 01:46 AM

Welp.. i tried to tighten the mounts as suggested, and they would not budge..so i guess that answers that question.. had wheels/ tires re--balanced AGAIN, no effect,

also I jacked up the rear and ran it slowly up to 70 mph .. no vibration felt so maybe the problem IS in the font OR it has to be under load? i dunno.. i did notice i have slotted front rotors i know those couldn't be stock.

also, should I be able to rotate easily forward/ backwards the bars that go to the steering tie rods and the shock?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:55 PM

i'm just throwing this out there could you have a bent drive shaft or front axel