12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Cruise & tranny temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
klb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise & tranny temp sensor

97 auto..does anyone know where the temp sensor is located on my tranny. dealer said it was inline on drivers side but there isnt any sensor on any tranny line that I can find. Is it mounted on the tranny itself? I posted a few weeks ago but still haven't been able to find the problem. Tranny will not shift for miles and miles, then suddenly it will shift at a high RPM and from then on will usually shift fine. From previous replies I'm thinking temp sensor failure. Or could it be the TPS linkage doing this? The tranny shop did adjust it when they rebuilt tranny and since I just replaced the entire throttle assembly and the TPS I'm wondering if I need to adjust the linkage. On another note, my cruise quit working at the same time that my serpentine belt broke and destroyed my crankshaft sensor. I replace the sensor but now cruise still won't work. Code came up cruise ckt I think. Thanks in advance, I get more from you guys than at the Dodge dealers, thats for sure.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 PM

I have a 97 auto as well, I am having the same problems. I took it to a tranny shop, and they said it was the linkage was not set right, it was puttling out too many volts. So i took it back to the dealer and they said that they adjused it, but for some reason I don't believe them. They told me that I needed to rebuild the whole tranny, when it is about 1 year old. I am thinking that it is the sensor as well. Would like to know what everyone thinks on this, tired of sinking money into this when it is not fixing the problem. Also so you all know I had the TPS replaced, and tranny flush, and linkage done on recall, and crankshaft sensor done as well. COuld use some help as well. Thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 08:37 AM
klb

hey Jonny, misery loves company so I'm feeling better already (not that much though) lol.. I went through lots of old threads on this last night and I think I found out that our tranny temp sensor is part of the double selonoid package inside the tranny. I'm going to get a 1,000 ohm resistor today and try to bypass the selonoid and I'm going to volt test my TPS. I am now able to drain tranny fluid, remove and reinstall pan in my sleep so that won't be a problem. I still doubt that this will fix my cruise problem though but I'll let you know......I've also come to the conclusion that at least 50% of the folks that have trucks like ours are running around the country w/o overdrive and if it wasn't for this forum it would probably be 99%. I'm also convinced that 99% of Dodge dealer mechanics should join my club (MWAC...men without a clue). Finally, if you hear a report of a loud boom in NW Iowa along with flying maroon shrapnel, you'll know my problem, while not fixed, is solved.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by klb
I went through lots of old threads on this last night and I think I found out that our tranny temp sensor is part of the double selonoid package inside the tranny.
You are close, the solenoid is a package for OD and lockup, the sensor is seperate. They have two different styles, one is for the 96-99's I think those are the years, and then the 2000+ transmissions. If I remember the early models are a 1000 ohm deal and the newer ones are 2000 ohm. The early (96-99) ones are a metal barrel and the late units are black plastic.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:15 AM
klb

Thanks..If I remember correctly there are three different selonoids and/or sensors in the tranny. The double must be for the OD and lockup like you said. Are the other two selonoids also or is one the temp sensor or is the temp sensor someplace else? Do you recall where the wires come out for the sensor on the tranny? Thanks again
Old 09-19-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have the OD and LU solenoids on one "plate", you then have the pressure sensor/temp sensor, and then you have the governor solenoid which is all by itself.