12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Auto and dirt mtn road pulling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto and dirt mtn road pulling.

Hello All,

I read this site to learn. Love it. I recently bought a 95 auto. No engine mods that I am aware of. No gauges. Soon, very soon tho. It is straight piped and I have to put a muffler so I will be putting a 4 inch kit on before May. The Auto was recently rebuilt by a local shop and had a shift kit installed. Done before I bought. So, don't know much about it.

Now my question.

I pull a 29' 5er to go camping. I often go to the canyons here in Utah. I only went to one this year tho. New job taking up time. Anyhow. The one time I went up 9 mile near Price Utah. This is a dirt road that goes from like 5000 FT. to 8000 FT. In a short time. But I can only pull at like 25 mph on this dirt road. My tranny dummy light came on 3 times while pulling this hill. Is this due to not going fast enough to have the tq converter locked up? From my reading when the tq. converter is not locked the tranny builds heat. Is this correct? And is this a correct assumption of this situation? If so I will hold off on Mayfeild canyon that goes from like 4500' to 9000 or 9500'. I really need a altimiter too!

If this is the case I might not wait on the more expensive tranny upgrades and wait on the cheeper fuel plate and 3gsk upgrades.

Thanks for the input.
Jay
Old 12-13-2004, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put a T/C lock up switch in it. Put it in second gear and then lock up the T/C, no more heat.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Auto and dirt mtn road pulling.

Originally posted by y22man
My tranny dummy light came on 3 times while pulling this hill. Is this due to not going fast enough to have the tq converter locked up? From my reading when the tq. converter is not locked the tranny builds heat. Is this correct? And is this a correct assumption of this situation?
Yes.
In stock form, the Dodge trannies only lock up in 3rd or overdrive.

You can add a lock up switch, but that will toast the tranny in no time, stock trannies don't have the line pressure to keep it locked up, it will slip and burn up the clutches.

Best bet is have the tranny DTT'd, ATS'd, Goerend'd, or others,
then you can get 2nd gear lockup safely.

I offroad a lot, under 25 mph gets the tranny to 250° in no time.
(Dodge Tranny guy told me the idiot lite comes on around 280°)

Lots of stopping and idling in neutral to cool it down.
Shiver to think what damage I caused before I got the tranny temp guage.

Try navigating the offending inclines in 4-low. (assuming you have a 4x4)
The gearing usually will get you into 3rd at speeds around 25-30, thus you get lockup.

phox
Old 12-14-2004, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, Thanks for the confirmation.