12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

# 9 Engine Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
# 9 Engine Fuse Keeps Blowing

Hello All,

New guy here. I searched the forums and found some possible causes for my problem. Let me explain.

94 Ram 2500 auto reg cab. 205K miles. The truck stopped running one day. I could engage the starter and run the engine with the use of the starter. I figured that my problem was the lift pump. I replaced it. No luck with the starting. I checked the fuses and found that the #9 was blown. I replaced it and it started right up.

The truck is a plow truck and not used on a regular basis. That is until the winter storm just came buy. I had the truck running and pushing snow for 36 hrs. straight. No overheating or any issues. All of the sudden it stopped running. So I checked the engine fuse and it was blown. I stuck another fuse in and it blew it again. To get the truck out of there I zip tied the solenoid up and got on my way.

What I have figured so far is this. The #9 engine fuse circuit has the tach, speedo, fuel shut-off solenoid and something to do with the charging circuit.

I got the truck home and parked it. I tried to plow more, but without the charging of the batteries I was s.o.l. The truck was dead in the morning and I jumped it to get it going. Un did the zip ties popped a new fuse in and I was on my way. I was plowing for about 20 min and it shut down again.

*** is going on. For the fuse to blow I am guessing there is a short in the system somewhere.

Any Ideas on where to start?

Sorry about the novel I just wrote. Just wanted to be clear.

THANKS!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Start looking for the short, check the ESS sensor plug and wiring first. Something is getting wet and blowing the fuse.

You could try covering sections or connectors and sealing them up good to attempt to find the leak, if she plows thru a bunch of snow and dies, it isnt that one.......
Old 12-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Ok, the speed sensor is located on the front of the engine? Any other shorts I should be looking for?

Is it possible that the fuel shut off solenoid could be going bad and shorting out? I'm thinking that the solenoid being in operation for a long time and getting hot to the touch could be the culprit.

any thoughts? I'll take a look at the sensor tomorrow too.

thanks!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 PM

Cool

Found the problem!!!!!!

It turns out the fuel shut-off solenoid is the problem. I ruled it out earlier thinking that since I had secured the solenoid in the up position, it would not be doing anything. However, with the solenoid still pugged in there was current running to the solenoid causing the fuse to keep blowing. Had I disconnected the the power from the solenoid I would have figured this out last week.

Ordered the new part from Geno's and Ill be back in business soon.

Thanks for all of the Input !!!!! Im sure this won't be the last time I post.

Thanks Again!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Yes, fuel solenoid operation is split into 2 phases, pull in, and hold.

If it gets to be too much grief figuring it out, you can rig up a simple pull cable to control the fuel, many guys here do it using tractor parts ( IH made tractors with the P7100 pump and 5.9B)

In many ways, for your use, a mechanical, positive actuated fuel shutoff could be a good thing.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure to report back on this, very, very rare for a solenoid to fail as you describe.