12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

12V Throttle linkage repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12V Throttle linkage repair

Well, I asked for a throttle rebuild kit at the dealer and I receievd A replacement one piece linkage with ball lock connectors at each end. I'm not sure this is what was meant by throttle rebuild kit. Is it? It did definately help with my idle adjustments after installing it.

I have also seen posts with regard to a geometry changing throttle kit for manual shift transmissions. This is supposed to remedy the buck and surge one gets when towing heavy. I have that violent surge. When my truck ran with the automatic, It did not have the surge. Now with the NV4500 it does.

Does anyone have any opinions good or bad on this geometry altering kit?

Thanks,
Don
Old 09-13-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ram of Steel
Well, I asked for a throttle rebuild kit at the dealer and I receievd A replacement one piece linkage with ball lock connectors at each end. I'm not sure this is what was meant by throttle rebuild kit. Is it? It did definately help with my idle adjustments after installing it.

I have also seen posts with regard to a geometry changing throttle kit for manual shift transmissions. This is supposed to remedy the buck and surge one gets when towing heavy. I have that violent surge. When my truck ran with the automatic, It did not have the surge. Now with the NV4500 it does.

Does anyone have any opinions good or bad on this geometry altering kit?

Thanks,
Don
That my friend

is a recall item, they should fix that truck for you for free. Id go back and tell them to check the VIN and get ur truck fixed teh way it should be. I just had mine done a few months back... and i was well into the 175K range when i did..

Rick
Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 AM

hmmm...

I was wondering about this also...

i seems after a WOT blast, the truck wants to high-idle at 1100 RPM, until i kick it down a coupla times, then it settles where it wants to...

i lubed up all the linkage, and freed it up, set the idle to 750, it quieted the truck down (it was idling at 900-950) and it was at the 1st mark below the 1k on the tach now it's between the 750 mark and 1k... it seems like there is some binding in the linkage...

i thought only the throttle cable was what was recalled? something about them encasing the cable in plastic to deal with the recall?

what parts do they actually change when doing the recall deal?

thanks guys!

hopefully Don and I will get the dealer to fork-it-out!

J
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The recall was for the cable, not the linkage but some linkage parts are changed in the process. Here is the recall http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/970/repair.htm

Don't think it's your problem though. Usually the bucking problem is caused by weak, broken or missing throttle return springs. There should be two of them, try replacing with stronger springs from the hardware or autoparts store.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 PM

hmm... the ballstuds on my linkage were one thing that i thought could use a good cleaning/lube/replacement...

i guess will inquire at the dealer tomorrow..

thanks all.

J
Old 09-14-2006, 11:13 PM

Had my truck at a Dodge dealer in Georgia (580 miles from home) for erratic tachometer which lead to erratic shifting. Diagnosed as bad crank sensor. When I took it in they determined it had an outstanding recall for the throttle linkage/cable. They fixed that while it was there. Never had a problem with the throttle linkage before but now my accelerator sticks frequently. It seems to occur most often during heavy acceleration such as getting on the interstate from an on ramp. It is easily remedied by putting a little more pressure on the accelerator and then rapidly letting off but it is a bit unnerving. Should have just left well enough alone. If I took it to a local Dodge dealer would they fix it? Don't get to GA very often.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by GR40RCapri
hmm... the ballstuds on my linkage were one thing that i thought could use a good cleaning/lube/replacement...

i guess will inquire at the dealer tomorrow..

thanks all.

J
D*mn,

recall has already been done...

Old 09-17-2006, 11:07 PM

I do believe that recall only applied to manual transmission trucks?
Mine started out as an automatic. The problem began as soon as I installed the NV4500. I replaced the linkage with the ball studs and that made idle adjustments much, much easier. Before that installation I could not properly adjust the idle. At that time, I also installed a second set of factory return springs. The violent buck/surge still exists

Thanks,
Old 09-17-2006, 11:15 PM

12 valve Pac Brake

For those running a Pac Brake on their 12 valve and possibly towing a large fifth wheel, I have the following question.
Does the exhaust brake slow your truck adequately either when empty or towing? I have the 60# plug installed in the brake. My specs are in the sig line.

My best friends 2001,HO slows considerably when the Pac Brake is activated. It may just be 12V vs 24V
Mine does not.

Thanks,
Don
Old 09-18-2006, 12:52 PM

springs

I just went and matched up a spring from ACE, put the factory snap ends on it and installed it. Worked perfect, not bucking. It all started when I was using a GN converter on a 5th wheel and the movement from that really made it bad. with my $1.50 spring all is fixed. Left the 2 small stock springs on.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:35 PM

Ihave noticed the ball lock connectors turning and getting in a bind once I straighten them out the truck idles and the fuel shutoff solenoid works. When there is a bind the truck won't start and when it does the idle is high in the 1000 rom range.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ram of Steel
I do believe that recall only applied to manual transmission trucks?
My 1997 was covered and it's an automatic.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:55 AM

i will say that the idle issue seems to be fixed (a bit) but the throttle still gets VERY sticky once in a while, and the throttle jumps... it sux when taking off in 1st and it does that...

i'm probably going to have to take all the linkage off, and make sure everything is clean..

J