Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Questions about possible s300 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just removed the turbo, checked the turbine dia, and checked the WG flappers

the turbine is a 65, the flappers are seating and the WG is closed the WG spring is fully compressed

and it spins just as freely as the 35 that came off
Old 09-17-2009, 06:10 PM

Now I have real issues...

Im working with the vendor who is being very accommodating with this deal. It turns out you cannot get the 57mm s300 platform turbo setup to use a 3rd generation exhaust brake

So Im now faced with the quandary of adding bigger sticks to tow with, and crossing my fingers that I will have enough air for the turbo to suck and boost....

What differences in power application will there be between a fueling box like the TST and just going to BD XXX110's or Mach 2's

It would seem the TST makes power by adding fuel at the back end of the injection pulse True/False?

So bigger injectors SHOULD burn cleaner than a bigger fuel box True/False?

This Stinks.....
Old 09-18-2009, 02:33 AM

Difference in power application between sticks and a box like the TST is how it fuels. You'll notice more throttle response off idle with injectors. You'll notice more smoke all around (granted 110's can be cleaned up pretty easily). It's just you can't turn off the increase fuel from the injectors. The TST fuels on boost, the higher the boost the more fuel it will add. Injectors are good for all around driving like DDing and towing. With the TST trying to tow, I think it might get a little tricky. The Engine would want to just rev and go with the TST where as injectors can be held at any rpm easier. IMO
Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dinner
Difference in power application between sticks and a box like the TST is how it fuels. You'll notice more throttle response off idle with injectors. You'll notice more smoke all around (granted 110's can be cleaned up pretty easily). It's just you can't turn off the increase fuel from the injectors. The TST fuels on boost, the higher the boost the more fuel it will add. Injectors are good for all around driving like DDing and towing. With the TST trying to tow, I think it might get a little tricky. The Engine would want to just rev and go with the TST where as injectors can be held at any rpm easier. IMO
Thats what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure
Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had similiar issues without the pump wire tapped. The S300 or my C300 was designed for a larger engine so we gotta fuel ours like those bigger engines.
I even had to increase my sub setting to get the turbo to "light" and now it's working much better and I'm suffering clutch slippage.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM

I have some interesting developments to report

I replaced my bhaf with an afe filter setup, and my egts came down quite a bit. Also I talked with Mark at TST regarding my r45 remote problem. While discussing the problem I took note of something I didnt know. The TST box remembers what setting it was on even if the remote is unplugged. I, while trying to work out my R45 problems, set it on 9. So I was trying to tow on 9, which doesn't work so well. I turned it down to test at different levels and on level 2 the turbo spools great. I still cannot cruse above 30~ psi but can hit 45 while running through the gears. I towed the same load and had better results with just the air filter and much better with the box on 1 or 2

so some of it is the lack of air at 5280+' some was the turbo is a bit big.

More reports as it gos on......
Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good findings, especially on the TST box.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Well I just towed 17K gross across Denver to the foothills. I was able to hold the cruse at 65 in 6th at about 1K piro temp. When crossing Colfax on the west side of town I needed to down shift due to EGT's, the truck still had tons of power those pesky pistons and that 1250 temp limit...... I down shifted to 5th and maintained 60 all the way up the hill temps in check

again this is with 3.54 gears, 315 BFG's the CATCHER, a TST comp box on Level 2, in my 02 6spd truck

I think its doing OK....... the AFE made all the difference, the s300 is more quite out the tail pipe with the 3rd gen exhaust brake, than the hx35, but the afe makes up for it....