HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Not shifting into 1st and erratic shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not shifting into 1st and erratic shifting

Original symptoms were not shifting down into 1st at stops and dropping up into overdrive with foot in the peddle. I have had a transmission overall, solenoid replacement, ECM replaced, battery cables and alternator replaced, and replaced torque converter. After all this I still have the same symptoms. I can drop the transmission manually at a stop and it will drop to 1st. The only things I haven't done are the Throttle Position Sensor or the Valve Body. Money tree has dried up and I don't know what else to do.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:12 PM
RCW

Center the throttle valve cable, and really inspect the ends of the cable to be sure one has not cracked and is allowing either the lock in section to slip, or the end to walk around on either the transmission or injection pump ends.

After you do that, do the APPS reset procedure, https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 PM

Smile grounds apps

Have you got any codes? i had trouble with tc lockup and gear hunting,they all went away when i grounder the apps to my battery. you may try this it is a frequent problem in shifting.i think it is the black w/yellow wire pin #4 in the harness between the apps and the ecm. i got the info from somebody else on my old comp and have it on paper but not electronic.it came out of a chrylser rep book page 167 lock-up and 4th gear hunt with no codes,is the section.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You really need to monitor the gov psi with a good scan tool to even begin diag on this prob. Looking at whats been done, I would suspect you may have a valve body issue, but that's a blind guess without looking at the data.