3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Low Sulfur vs Ultra low sulfur diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Sulfur vs Ultra low sulfur diesel?

All our gas stations have now switched over to ultra low sulfur diesel. We have a 2004 2500 that I had been only using low sulfur diesel as advised by a friend of mine with the same truck who has had diesels for a long time. Apparently the ultra low lacks some sort of lubrication as she had put it?

Now that I can only buy ultra low sulfur diesel, I was told that I should be buying some sort of addictive that they sell at gas stations....? I asked NAPA about this and they had no clue what I was talking about (even the guy with the 2005 ford diesel). No one else has any clue what I'm talking about either.

So should I be using the additive? What kind does everyone use?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Many people feel a lubricity additive is a good thing. When ULSD first came out there were some lubricity related failures on 2nd gen trucks, 3rd gens have fared pretty well. ULSD is supposed to have a lubricity additive added, and should be good.. But more won't hurt.

I run Amsoil Diesel Concentrate every tank.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Man I sure miss those days of LSD.. (not to be confused with the 60's stuff) I've been running USLD for well over 100,000 miles with no ill affects. I do run Bio every once in awhile when available. My truck seems to run a little smoother burning it. If your worried about the lack of lubrication try running some PowerService every other coupe of tanks and all will be fine.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to the use of Ultra Low Sulfur fuel. http://www.clean-diesel.org/index.htm
What some user of pre 207.5 engines have stated is they are afraid of the lower Lubricity of the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel. So to improve the Lubricity of the fuel, they add a diesel fuel treatment such as Howe's Diesel Fuel treatment Or Power Service. See the following links; http://www.howeslube.com/ , http://powerservice.com/dk/
These should help you understand the issue and what you may want to add to your diesel fuel.
Jim
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 AM

Power Service Diesel Kleen worked well for me (Silver). You can buy a winter formula version that fights fuel freeze as well (Diesel 911... Red). I could buy it at Tractor Supply Co, the local Auto Parts Store, Wal-Mart, etc... We run the red bottle Power Service Diesel 911 in our winter farm tractor fuel if we have gel problems. I've switched over to a different generic brand that I can buy in bulk through our farm account now, but it made absolutely no difference between brands. The lubrication that it adds back to the fuel gives me good peace of mind and it does run smoother.

It blows my mind that your local auto parts guys don't know what a diesel fuel addative is. That guy with the 2005 Ford should know all about it with his junk fuel system. Don't feel bad about them giving you that stupid look... Don't even worry about the Ultra Low Sulfur discussion when you go to buy your addative. You just need a "diesel fuel addative" and unless you get a good commercial discount on your NAPA account, it's probably much cheaper to buy at a local Wal-Mart or Auto Zone.

http://www.powerservice.com/default.htm
Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 AM

The people that sell the stuff will tell you how necessary it is, of course. I run both an '07 QC 2500 CTD and an '05 VW Passat TDI. ULSD has been all you can buy in Canada for quite some time. No additives and no issues.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 AM

Before you buy any product, check out his study.

http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/cop...-version-3.pdf
Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't need any additives with a good quality Diesel fuel. As far as what was stated by your friend, nobody likes change. The only thing I don't like about ULSD is it gave them a reason to charge us more!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Additives generally will pay for their selves with savings in millage gains. I have seen #2 winter blend gel in the hoses at the pumps so I run PS white in the winter and PS Silver or Lucas in the summer..

Get a bottle and try it it for yourself it won't hurt anything..
Old 12-31-2010, 01:58 PM

I lost 1.5 mpg after we switched over to ULSD.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:13 PM

I dont keep close enough track of milage to tell a diference. As far as running Power service or the such I only do in the winter for gelling protection but not for lubrication. Basicaly I cant tell any diference other than the cost between LSD and ULSD. I have run some Bio in it after switchng to ULSD and I cant tell any diference in that either. It runs and sounds the same.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
I lost 1.5 mpg after we switched over to ULSD.
Yeah that is the main thing I noticed, about a 3 mpg loss and I usually lose another 1 mpg when they switch over to winter blend.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
ULSD is supposed to have a lubricity additive added, and should be good.. But more won't hurt.
Sulpher is the lubricant. But, I've ran over 500,000 miles on ULSD.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by dott
Before you buy any product, check out his study.

http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/cop...-version-3.pdf
X2 on a good read.

"Won't hurt a thing.." isn't an accurate statement at all if you believe the results of this test.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JHardwick
Sulpher is the lubricant. But, I've ran over 500,000 miles on ULSD.
Sulpher was the lubricant.

Quick Reply: Low Sulfur vs Ultra low sulfur diesel?