3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What would be the 1st upgrade you would do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What would be the 1st upgrade you would do?

If you had to do it all over again what upgrade would you start with? I was kicking around doing something to improve turbo lag, but exhaust caught my eye too, and well several other things. Any suggestions?

Old 12-17-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first thing i would do is add better fuel filtration. as far as your turbo lag, what has been done to the truck so far?
Old 12-17-2016, 01:27 PM

Not a lot

Not a lot. I got it about 5 months ago, and as near as I can tell they have done the lift and bigger tires. I have added an auto-start. Nothing under the hood except usual maintenance. It is the 2004.5
Old 12-17-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Transmission, then smarty, then turbo and exhaust manifold, then head studs , then exhaust
Old 12-17-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by rjm022
Transmission, then smarty, then turbo and exhaust manifold, then head studs , then exhaust
​​​​​​​the tranny will be needing some upgrades if he adds tunes. HP and UDC PRO are way better then a smarty, not that smarty is a bad tuner. Why a turbo? An exhaust manifold wont do anything. Studs are not needed at this point and the stock exhaust is just fine.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Suggested an exhaust manifold with the turbo- assuming one would go with a t-4 set up over the t-3. Yes more filtration too- forgot that! Just changed my Donaldson filter- don't know how I over looked that
Old 12-17-2016, 08:08 PM

I would suggest a SRT-10 pillar and install a EGT gauge in there... Then a tune or pressure box (down the road both can be reused/stacked)... But start saving up for a transmission build...

The only reason I go against the grain and do the transmission build later is because after the transmission becomes more efficient it increases the turbo lag... After I did my tranny I had to reduce the torque management because it increased my turbo lag (less slippage and much heavier convertor to spin)... My transmission on a stock tune would make me angry to have to drive in city traffic all day long...

Unless you need it or want a different sound, I doubt a exhaust will give you any performance gain at all..
Old 12-17-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The first upgrade you ask?

Get a programmer that you can grow with. Smarty or EFI Live are all the rage now it seems. This will help give your truck the instant pep you are looking for and adjustments to stay safe and build bigger power later...

This first upgrade will then force you to get the 2nd upgrade... Gauges , 3rd built transmission, 4th turbo, 5th injectors, 6th filtration and so on.

Welcome to DTR.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Asher
I would suggest a SRT-10 pillar and install a EGT gauge in there... Then a tune or pressure box (down the road both can be reused/stacked)... But start saving up for a transmission build...

The only reason I go against the grain and do the transmission build later is because after the transmission becomes more efficient it increases the turbo lag... After I did my tranny I had to reduce the torque management because it increased my turbo lag (less slippage and much heavier convertor to spin)... My transmission on a stock tune would make me angry to have to drive in city traffic all day long...

Unless you need it or want a different sound, I doubt a exhaust will give you any performance gain at all..
do not stack programmers. that is not needed.
Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
The first upgrade you ask?

Get a programmer that you can grow with. Smarty or EFI Live are all the rage now it seems. This will help give your truck the instant pep you are looking for and adjustments to stay safe and build bigger power later...

This first upgrade will then force you to get the 2nd upgrade... Gauges , 3rd built transmission, 4th turbo, 5th injectors, 6th filtration and so on.

Welcome to DTR.
EFI is for 06+ smarty is good, but HP and UDC PRO is the best custom tuning you can get, as long as you go with a good reputable tuner. HP and UDC RPO is comparable to EFI, but for the 03-05 trucks. why would you put better filtration in after you put new injectors in? you wanna put better filtration in right away to help your injectors last longer.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by CRF450R RIDER
why would you put better filtration in after you put new injectors in? you wanna put better filtration in right away to help your injectors last longer.
Mine lasted 295k with stock filtration (I may be the exception and not the rule)... and granted they had some wear and needed a rebuild - but thats pretty good in my book! Just being selective over where you buy your fuel is just as important.

That initial ~$1,000 can go to better use I think...
Old 12-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
Mine lasted 295k with stock filtration (I may be the exception and not the rule)... and granted they had some wear and needed a rebuild - but thats pretty good in my book! Just being selective over where you buy your fuel is just as important.

That initial ~$1,000 can go to better use I think...
that is very good for stock injectors, but on average they do not last that long. but you also had them rebuilt too. $1000 for better filtration? you can get a very nice kit for $260 and there are some cheaper ones out there. what better use can your money go towards then protecting your $2200+ injectors? '03-'12 Cummins Fuel Filter Kit
Old 12-18-2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by CRF450R RIDER
that is very good for stock injectors, but on average they do not last that long. but you also had them rebuilt too. $1000 for better filtration? you can get a very nice kit for $260 and there are some cheaper ones out there. what better use can your money go towards then protecting your $2200+ injectors? '03-'12 Cummins Fuel Filter Kit
I had them rebuilt at 295k miles when I rebuild the whole engine.

And yes filtration can be done for less. But with the sump kit and the air dog etc I was bumping 1g.

I can't argue the fact, filtration IS important... But if the OP is looking for the first step towards enjoying the truck, my vote goes to the programmer. Heck even trucks with filtration suffer injector failures. It's all a gamble and trade space on value. Your point is valid.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:48 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
It's interesting that gauges are just barely touched on in this thread, but surely gauges, especially fuel pressure, boost and EGT, should be first?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
It's interesting that gauges are just barely touched on in this thread, but surely gauges, especially fuel pressure, boost and EGT, should be first?
from everything all have been telling me, i agree with stan.
gauges (psi , boost, egt)
then fuel filter or filter pick up pump combo.
from there go hog wild with some of the other guys suggestions.
trans, etc. but that is just two cents.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:27 AM

I hav

Originally Posted by Cari
If you had to do it all over again what upgrade would you start with? I was kicking around doing something to improve turbo lag, but exhaust caught my eye too, and well several other things. Any suggestions?

​​​​​I have about $1,000 to spend for now.

Quick Reply: What would be the 1st upgrade you would do?