3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Converting my '06 2500 Mega to Dually

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Converting my '06 2500 Mega to Dually

I know this has been discussed before, I did a few searches and haven't found any definitive answers.

I'm wondering what exactly is required to put duals on my '06 Mega Cab.

When I bought the Mega brand new in '07 I used it for work purposes primarily (I'm an equipment salesman) and it was my only vehicle.

It doubled as my farm truck and has logged a lot of miles pulling my 24' stock trailer, loads of hay, equipment, etc etc

Now I ahve moved to a different company and have a work supplied 1/2 ton that I drive for work and the Dodge stays hooked to my trailer pretty much 24/7

Seeing as it is just about paid for, I'd like to keep this truck but I am interested in putting duals on it for extra stabillity etc on the heavy loads I pull.

I have airbags installed allready.

I think there are members that have done this before but darned if I can find the posts on a search.

I understand that the 2500 axle is a little wider, but I don't think that would make a huge difference for my purposes?

Anybody who has done this have a parts list?

Thanks for the direction guys
Old 02-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SRW axle is actually a little narrower, something like 4" or so. It should be as easy as getting spacers for the rear, the front, dually rims, and then the bed fenders. There is a kit online that advertises the entire kit for around $3000 or something like that...be darned if I can't remember where though. You should be able to part out most of what you need, the Dually fenders are going to be tougher to find.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM

I have the same truck wanting to do the exact same thing, havnt found anyone with dually fenders yet but found Mega dually whole beds for nine hundred

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
duallyfenderusa.com is where I've seen them. They have standard ones for $650/pr and they also have extended mega fenders (2") and standard fenders that fit the short beds. Pretty cool selection!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM

I recently converted my 2006 srw to drw. I swapped axles with a fellow who wanted to go srw. We also swapped wheels/tires. We did not swap beds, instead he just unbolted the fenders, and we swapped his fenders for my fender flares. Or trucks were different colors, body/paint work is really not that expensive, or not as much as a complete paint job on a bed.

You can also just bolt up 2" spacers to your srw axle and bolt up the front spacer to go duals too. It is not that difficult of a job. If you are planning to use a bigger tire than the stockers most commonly used on a dually, get a 2-1/2 spacer, it will give you a little more spring pack clearance, I would use the 2-1/2" regardless.

The ref to www.duallyfendersUSA.com is a good place to get fenders, and www.chromewheel.com also sells a complete kit with spacers, fenders, and wheels, lug nuts, etc. I have done business with them in the past, both websites are the same company, just different parts of the company.

Not all spacers are created equal, if you go this route, make sure they are steel spacers. I have an older 1988 truck that I converted in 1990 with steel spacers, it has never had a problem with using the spacers, still on the road today, I got that kit back then from Arrowcraft, they are also another place to get dually conversion kits, however, they do not sell the Dodge fenders, just the spacers/wheels. If I had not found someone to swap axles with, I would have gone the spacer route.

I mounted up a set of Vision Heavy Hauler 19.5 wheels and 245/70 commercial tires. A very remarkable change for the better when towing and hauling heavy loads.

CD
Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 PM

You should just need the axel shafts off a dually, the inner spacers btw the axel shafts and housing (and hardware), front adapters and 6ea wheels.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Hmmm, that sounds interesting WiskeyVI.

I wish I could find a wrecked dually too take a look at. and see what all differences there actually are.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Whatever ya'll do, do NOT buy a dually kit get the whole rear end from the salvage yard. I done that on my single wheel and could never keep the wheels tight. I bought the whole rear end shipped for 1600 and it seems high but it is well worth not worrying about the wheels falling off. Just my two cents.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:56 PM

I keep missing out on parts swaps. I want to do the same.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by wiskeyVI
You should just need the axel shafts off a dually, the inner spacers btw the axel shafts and housing (and hardware), front adapters and 6ea wheels.

I thought the same, had a friend try to just swap out the axles/hubs, its a NO GO.

CD
Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 AM

What happened with your friends truck CD?

What wouldn't work in that swap?

What models was he trying to do the swap with?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 AM

Friends truck was a 2007, same AAM axle we all have, and the dually hub was out/off of a 2007, so same model year truck. Has to do with several things, bearings or where bearing perches on the dually hub. The axle swap length was fine. I am not good at axle terminology, so bear with me on this, but the piece coming out of the main housing, I'd call it a spindle for a loss of the right name, it is different, you cannot change that end piece, pressed/welded. If you could swap that section, then you'd be swapping from there out on both and all would be fine.

CD
Old 03-10-2011, 02:30 PM

I converted my 04.5. I got the spacers from Arrowcraft, as recommended above, and one fender from Ebay, and another from DuallyfendersUSA. The Ebay fender fit great. The DuallyfendersUSA fender doesn't fit as well, but is OK. It is a fiberglass fender, vs the poly stock fender I got off Ebay. I've not had any problems with the wheels working loose. One issue I did have with the rear spacers from Arrowcraft was that the first spacers they sent me were about 1/2 an inch to narrow. But they were excellent at sending the correct spacers, no extra charges at all. Good luck!

Last edited by Phrmntr; 03-10-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: verbiage