3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pulling the trigger on bunch of stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulling the trigger on bunch of stuff!

I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel with 165,000 miles. Runs like a top but I want to get another 200K trouble free miles.

It goes into the shop next month for the following:

BD EXHAUST BRAKE KIT
BD X-CONVERTER.
BD TOW TRANSMISSION.
BD HIGH PERFORMANCE /COMPETITION INTERCOOLER.
BD HIGH PERFORMANCE/COMPETITION INTERCOOLER HOSE KIT
BD HIGH PERFORMANCE LEFT INTERCOOLER PIPE
48REE FRONT AUTO TRANSMISSION COOLER.
MISHIMOTO ALUMINUM RADIATOR.
MISHIMOTO SILICONE UPPER AND LOWER RADIATOR HOSE KIT.

$12K including install and a few other tid bits......It's either this or spend $50k for a new truck with all the post Gen3 stuff that I'd rather not deal with.

Am I crazy? Comments appreciated.......
Old 10-05-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do it man. Sounds good to me. I wouldn't own another new truck. to much denero
Old 10-05-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my 12 valve's better than anything. especially the ease of working on them and the AC been working since 1996 on one and AC working on 1997 since 1997
Old 10-27-2016, 07:26 PM

Deposit sent....Parts ordered...goes under the knife in three weeks....Can't wait!
Old 10-28-2016, 01:57 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I wish I had seen this earlier to comment... I'm confused on why you're going this route. I'm good with the transmission mods, but the radiator and intercooler...? Do you have an intercooler with with the plastic ends? Is something wrong with your radiator? You're getting high performance flow pipes/hoses, but I don't see any fuel or air upgrades in your mods. Unless there is an issue with contamination or damage, I haven't seen any cooling issues with stock radiators unless they have not been serviced properly.

I'm not trying to be rude to you or tell you you're making a mistake, I'm just trying to figure out why you're going with these modifications.

If you want real programming, look toward EFI live... The edge is a good starter box, but it runs hot on the higher levels (if you have it unlocked). I had one long ago, and the difference in programming between my smarty and the edge is day and night, EFI only gets better.

Are you planning any air (turbo) or fuel mods in the future?

Regardless, it's fun spending money on your truck and getting mods done. I hope you enjoy the new upgrades!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:27 AM

Madhat,

Thanks for the concern.....

The Truck has a "Juice with Attitude" and an "Airaid" intake system.

The radiators are in pretty rough shape and I just don't want to worry about them. They have never been serviced. My bad!

I do not want or need a race truck or will I be entering any truck pulls. I just want a truck that I can drive cross country without worry and that pulls my Toy Hauler with no drama.

This truck runs excellent as it is and I get 16mpg while towing and I would like it to stay that way. The performance is nothing short of amazing with just the Juice!
Old 10-28-2016, 07:46 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Fair enough. They are solid mods. If the intercooler has the plastic ends, I'm all about everything you're doing.

The only thing I would add is extra fuel filtration. You can get a stand alone filter that holds a 2 micron absolute rating for 250 or so.

What fuel pump are you running? Stock in tank pump?
Old 10-28-2016, 08:35 AM

My mechanic suggested a FAST lift pump and dual filters. But at $2500, it will have to wait until next time.

Other than this suggestion, what filter system would you recommend?
Old 10-28-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
While the plastic intercoolers are junk, an aftermarket intercooler is a waste of money and will not make any difference.
I recommend picking up a good used metal intercooler.

Same with the radiator. The Mishimoto stuff is nice stuff but really expensive and are not really better performing.
Compare the core thickness btwn the Mishimoto and OEM.

Toss your outdated Edge J/A and all those wires and start researching EFI Live custom ECM programming.

EFI Live is superior to an old school interceptor module. You will not believe how much better the truck will run, even on lower settings.

With your 4x4, a steering upgrade is something to look at. Aftermarket front suspension and steering upgrades have really come a long way for these trucks.
A well built aftermarket steering upgrade will be well worth it everytime you drive the truck.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 AM

A few years ago I converted the front axle to EMS free wheeling locking hubs

Article here:
Ems Off Road Free Wheeling Kit Install | RVB Precision

And I recently added a "Safe T Steer" device. New bushings all around. The truck handles like my Porsche! Amazing difference.

As far as radiators goes, you are most liely right, but the difference the shop quoted me between aftermarket and OEM was minimal....and the Mishimoto just looks so cool!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:16 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by rbertalotto
My mechanic suggested a FAST lift pump and dual filters. But at $2500, it will have to wait until next time.

Other than this suggestion, what filter system would you recommend?
Good night, 2500 bucks! Man, you don't need all that. Where in the heck is he getting that pump? They're less than 700 bucks on line. If you're not going to be running bigger injectors, your stock pump will do fine. A stand alone filter only kit is around 200 bucks... this is an example: '03-'12 Cummins Fuel Filter Kit

At a minimum, I'd recommend EGT, Boost, fuel pressure and rail pressure gauges. The stock air box is pretty good, so I wouldn't mess with that. I use the 6.7 stock paper filter in mine and have drilled out a few holes in the bottom of my air box. I have a silicone tube going from the air box to the turbo, but it's not a must. If you do any towing, you can get a trans temp gauge as well. Some folks get a oil pressure gauge as well because they don't trust the stock one.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:35 PM

Well, it started out being a bit expensive and it ended up being a WHOLE BUNCH expensive......$12K ended up being just shy of $20K !!!!

Besides all the stuff in the first post......

Transfer case had a hole in it and a crack....
Replaced with a Jasper Xfer case...Sure is pretty!

Oil pan had a rust spot and a big dent and a crack
Replaced with new version of OEM, thicker...Required longer bolts......Almost as pretty as the Xfer case!

"While we are in here....You should...."

Replace front and rear main seals on engine
Replace Flex Plate
Replace Water Pump
Replace Idler
Replace Serpentine belt
Replace front sway bar bushings and rod ends with VERY pretty BD Diesel version...
Replace rusted cross member for transmission
Adjust the valves (160K miles and never done. They were quite a bit out of spec)

So I picked the truck up and drove 5 hours to get back home.......

The verdict?

FANTASTIC!!!!!!! Worth every penny! I can't believe how nice the exhaust brake is. Feel like an 18 wheeler!

The new transmission shifts velvet smooth. Hard to tell a 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shift.....

Have no idea why, but I checked my mileage twice and I'm getting 2-3mpg better. From 17mpg to 20mpg! Could the valve adjustment be responsible?

Engine temperature is 10 degrees cooler and transmission temperature is 20 degrees cooler. Can't wait to pull the big trailer to see what happens.

Another strange thing is I'm not using anywhere near the amount of boost I used to. My Juice With Attitude is set to warn me at 30 psi. In 5 hours, never heard the alarm go off and I "got Into It" a few times....This truck simply hauls a** when the JWA is set at "Race".....

Yup, lots of $$ to spend on a 10 year old truck with 160K miles, but a new one is just shy of $65,000........Hope I get another ten years and 160K miles....That will only be $2000 a year!

Merry Christmas!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:48 AM

UPDATE:

It's been a couple months now an about 2000 miles since I had all this work done to my truck....So far, still extremely pleased! The transmission is fantastic. No more abrupt shifts. Smooth as silk! The exhaust brake will save my brakes for sure. Barely use them to come to a stop. And using the brake to speed up the warup of tyhe truck up here in New England is the best deal yet!

I leave next friday on a 6K mile trip pulling my Toy Hauler to Arizona. Should be a good, stress free trip.....
The following users liked this post:
StealthDiesel (02-01-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i hope you didnt get that over priced fass. the stock CP3 wont be able to rail pressure high enough for big injectors before the stock lift pump cant handle it. that link that madhat left is a good set up. i have their single filter kit with a Donaldson P551313 filter on it. that the best filter you can get at 3 microns absolute. there really is no 2 micron absolute filter out there even though people say cat has one, but cat wont even say what their filter is rated at. if is 2 micron, is it absolute or nominal? if nominal that would be like a 4 or 5 micron absolute.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:14 AM

No, Did not get FASS system.......