2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

cruise control not working...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise control not working...

When I press the on/off button on the steering wheel, the green light comes on, but none of the other buttons do their thing. Then, when i try to turn it off, the green light stays on. Only when I turn the ignition off and then back on again will the green light be out.

I have checked the vacuum line as mentioned in other threads and it was broken near the cruise control actuator, I repaired the line, and tested for leaks, but it didn't seem to fix it....

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Is there a way to test the actuator?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Besides the actuator hose the next most common problem is a bad brake light switch.
Brake lights can work fine but not cruise..
I find it easier to just replace the $11 switch rather than testing it.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the reply! I'll try that today.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Bill,

I replaced the brake light switch and the cruise control system still doesn't work. I find it odd that the on/off switch will turn it on but won't turn it off.

Any other ideas of where to look or what to test?

I really appreciate your help.

thanks,

Clark
Old 04-28-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Have you checked to see if there's any codes?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Does the truck have a tilt steering column? If so look for broken wires at the tilt portion, they could be broken internally so you'll have to check for continuity. To run new wires down the column crazy glue the new wires to a long tie wrap with the end cut off. The tie wrap can then be threaded down the column and pull the new wires carefully through.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:18 AM

Scjfly, I have the same problem but my light will turn on/off on the steering wheel but none of the other functions work. How do I check the vaccuum lines I am not sure where they are on the truck.

Did you ever get the cruise figured out on your truck?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:00 AM

I have it partially working. At freeway speeds it does a ok job on flat ground, but slowly bleeds off speed and feels week. When the truck begins up hill, the cc can't do it. And the off button still doesn't function. Wondering if the weak cc is a weak vacuum pump?

The vacuum line is a small black plastic line that runs from the cc actuator (below drivers side battery) up to a connection near the firewall. Along the way it is routed with the cc cable. Anyway, if you unplug the vacuum line at the firewall connection, you can suck on it to see if there is a leak. If there isn't a leak and you heater/defroster functions as normal, then I assume it's not a vacuum issue.

Ps. I could be way off on my thinking.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. I just pulled the servo out from under the battery tray. By the way, whoever reads this in the future, I'm pretty sure the battery tray does not come out of the truck! Its solid mounted to the truck-pretty lame!

Anyway, I got the servo out where I could look at it closer and there are a couple small cracks in the housing of the servo-which I'm sure aren't supposed to be there. Do I need a whole new servo at this point? I will post a couple pics to see what you guys think.

Does that servo housing need to hold vaccuum? I haven't done any checks on the line itself yet.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Here is the servo with two holes in it, it actually looks like the holes were manufactured into the housing. I removed the vaccuum line to the servo and one of the bends in the line was very brittle and broke in my hand, so now I am going to replace that line. I didn't notice any section of line that was actually broken though before it broke in my hand.
Attached Thumbnails cruise control not working...-dsc_0246.jpg  
Old 05-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You may still have vac leaks elsewhere, 4X4 have vac lines to transfercase and to the front axle actuator. Check for oil soaked vac hoses by transmission rear mount. Also where vac hoses come up to vac tree on firewall. Make sure vac hose at vac pump is not soft and oil soaked. Is there any oil in vac hoses?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Also, when replacing the actuator hose, I can buy the hose in bulk, but how do I get the crimp on the end for the boot to slide over so that I get a good seal? I talked to Napa and they said they dont have any tools to do that.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. Where is the vaccuum pump located on my truck?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:45 PM

On my truck, the power steering pump is mounted to the vacuum pump. The vacuum pump then mounts to the engine. They are right under the injection pump.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Well, I guess I can visually inspect those lines because I dont have access to a smoke machine to see where a leak might come out.

Anyone ever find it worth it to take it to a shop where they can smoke test?

Any word on how to crimp those lines to make the original boots fit?

By the way I've already checked my wires underneath steering column and they look ok nothing broken/frayed.

Quick Reply: cruise control not working...