24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Torque converter locking up, then unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter locking up, then unlocking

Just started today, went for a ride to town and with the Overdrive off, the converter will lock up in third gear at about 35 to 40 mph and then unlock real quick, then lock up again real quick, then unlock. This all happens at light accleration, now if i acclerate more firmily it will stay locked up. If i accelerate lightly and hit the lock up switch at 35 mph it will stayed locked up. Never has done this before, i havent done anything to the truck in a while. I did disconnect the batteries a few days ago but that was it. I am thinking about doing a APPS reset procedure to see if that helps. Do you guys have any suggestions. The converter is not slipping, just has a hard time deciding if it wants to stay locked or unlock under light to somewhat moderate accleration. Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Banned

Sounds like you need a noise filter. Try wrapping the line going from your alternator to your passenger battery in aluminum foil. Worked like a charm on mine.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Which line is it? Is it obvious? Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re-calibrating the APPS voltage solved the lockup problem for one of our #8 members. You can find the instructions in the "Tech Facts" section.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 AM

There was also a bulletin called "1998-2002 Dodge 4th Gear Hunt Fix" from ATS that does a minor wiring change involving the APPS and the PCM. Worked like a charm for me. Haven't been able to find the link but if you PM me, I can scan it since I still have the hard copy.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTD2001
Which line is it? Is it obvious? Thanks
Yup. It goes straight from the alternator to the passenger battery and is about an 8 gauge wire that's black with a tan stripe.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:01 PM

www.happibox.com That solved the problem for me.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by AllanP
www.happibox.com That solved the problem for me.
I am having the same problem as CTD2001 but I dont have a lock up switch. I had my trans rebuilt with a triple lock TC and heavy duty valve body a few years ago.... thats all I have modded to the trans. I do have a Superchips tuner though. If I add the Happi Box, will I have any troubles because of the Superchips?
Old 06-24-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CTD2001
Just started today, went for a ride to town and with the Overdrive off, the converter will lock up in third gear at about 35 to 40 mph and then unlock real quick, then lock up again real quick, then unlock. This all happens at light accleration, now if i acclerate more firmily it will stay locked up. If i accelerate lightly and hit the lock up switch at 35 mph it will stayed locked up. Never has done this before, i havent done anything to the truck in a while. I did disconnect the batteries a few days ago but that was it. I am thinking about doing a APPS reset procedure to see if that helps. Do you guys have any suggestions. The converter is not slipping, just has a hard time deciding if it wants to stay locked or unlock under light to somewhat moderate accleration. Thanks
Hey Mike, mine was doing the same thing a month or two ago...check the wiring over at the PCM where the lockup wire is, I had a poor connection. Repaired that and it's been fine since.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info, i think i fixed the problem, i wrapped the tan and black wire from the altenator in tinfoil and also did a APPS reset, so far all seems to be good, i will check over by the PCM and make sure the connections are good though, thanks
Old 09-08-2007, 03:37 PM

guys all this 4th gear in and out of lockup hunting can be resolved by simply cleaning the ground cables on both batterys been fixin them for years simple but saved people thousands of dollors ,according if they came to me first..
Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 PM

What sabo21 said....clean those grounds!! I ran an additional wire from the PCM mounting screw to the negative terminal on the starboard side battery post. Seems to work great & didn't cost nothin'.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Thanx For The Help

This Is The Most Awesome Site Ever. I Had The 47re Tranny Lock/unlock Prob. Mine's A 2001 Ram 24 Valve 4x4 Dually & It Just Started With The Shakes Day Before Yesterday. & Similar Prob With One Of Our Cars Led Me To Believe The Lock Up Sol Was The Culpret.a Talk With The Local Dealer Led Me To Not Go There (wallet Not Big Enough). Found This Site By Accident Red The Comments About This Prob& Thought "ya Right , Too Easy". Sabo21 Posted An Answer" Clean The Neg Batt Post" Well I Tried It & It Works Fine Now. Thanx A Lot Guys One Question I Got To Know. Why Does Cleaning The Neg Post Cure This Prob. Is It An Alt Ground Prob, Or Did I Reset The Ecm When I Disconnected The Batts? Any Way Thanx Again Hope I Can Return The Favor Sometime
Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 PM

you are getting electrical noise . the computer has a ground clean up inside and when the pcm cant get all the electrical noise out it trickles out ,ex.apps sensor. kinda like calling it a dirty ground , the battery grounds good and clean gives the engine and all the sensors being provided a ground by the pcm a good smooth non noisy ground
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sabo21
guys all this 4th gear in and out of lockup hunting can be resolved by simply cleaning the ground cables on both batterys been fixin them for years simple but saved people thousands of dollors ,according if they came to me first..

......cleaning the batt terminals does NOT guarantee that this "issue" will disappear. Often it will help, and is the cheapest easiest thing to do, but in my experience it is not a "cure" by any means.

Quick Reply: Torque converter locking up, then unlocking