24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Park Break

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Park Break

Well fellas, time to do the shoes on the hind end of this thing. I tried a search but didn't find any tech articles or the like from guys doing this before. I have never done drum shoes before and looking for advice, pictures , video etc . on doing this. I am more than likely going to replace the cable as well. but again this is a first for me so all the help I can get will be great.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Unless you're positive, check them first since the rear drums take forever to wear out. More than likely the auto adjusters are seized up and the drums are out of adjustment.

To pull the drums off, you can beat them with a hammer or.....with the tires off, support the rear axle with stands, put a couple lug nuts back on the studs but only screwed on a few threads. Then start the truck and put it in gear. With the drums spinning put it in neutral and slam on the break. The drums should attempt to fly off which is the reason why there needs to be a couple lug nuts in place to stop them from taking off across the garage. No need to spin very fast either. You can do a search and you'll find others using this method too.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 AM

+1 (sort of). I had no problem getting my rusty-*** drum/rotors off using a rubber mallot hitting around the edges and alternating sides.

Once you're in, it's fiddly to replace those shoes -a skinny-*** needle nose vice-grip would be the tool- but not too hard. I agree they're probably fine, though. Don't take the new shoes out of the package until you see the state yours are in (so you can return 'em). Lube the adjusters and twist them up once it's all back together.

@katoom: would the calipers not keep the drum in place using the brake-slamming method? I'm assuming his '02 will be like my '01 and have rear discs?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:09 PM

As you guys figured the old shoes are still serviceable. Do I have to take the assembly apart to clean it up and get the tensioner screw working. I haven't looked at this yet. Truck is up on stands with all tires off, but got side tracked with redoing front end as all parts arrived.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by cupressus
@katoom: would the calipers not keep the drum in place using the brake-slamming method? I'm assuming his '02 will be like my '01 and have rear discs?
I couldnt tell ya. All I know is I've heard many many people use this crazy method. Some stated that depending on long they've been on there, it may be the only way which works.

Originally Posted by DieselNomad
As you guys figured the old shoes are still serviceable. Do I have to take the assembly apart to clean it up and get the tensioner screw working. I haven't looked at this yet. Truck is up on stands with all tires off, but got side tracked with redoing front end as all parts arrived.
No you dont have to disassemble everything. Just pull out the adjusters and clean them up and give them a little light greasing. Take note of the amount of threads you now see too and then put them back in and the drums back. The adjust them through the backing plate so that you can spin the drum by hand until you feel and hear a very slight drag of the shoes as the drum is turning. No tighter. The adjusters work only in reverse braking so next time you're in reverse, think about that and give the brakes a good push every now and again.