24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New to Cummins town

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Cummins town

Hello all! Hopefully I'm not too out of line posting this here.

I just picked up my new truck this past Sunday after having the last straw with my 1500 Sierra. It's my first Cummins and I'm amazed!

So here's what I got; 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Red Long Bed 24 valve 6 speed Camper Special Laramie SLT. It has 97k miles on it. The body is in great shape especially for being in the Mid-West, and the bottom side and bed has been Rhino lined to protect the body.

Performance wise the previous owner has installed; a Glacier lift pump, 4" Silverline Aluminized exhaust (muffler delete), Edge EZ, ISSPRO guages, and the turbo silencer ring is removed. I picked up a BHAF yesterday from Carquest and might put that on today, or I might see if I can wait long enough that I'll notice the difference when I put it on.

I've worked on all my cars/trucks/bikes myself over the years, and I've been a mechanic in the Illinois Army National Guard for 14 years. So I've been around diesels before, just never a 24v Cummins. I'm really excited to learn about this truck, and I've been looking for any kind of threads, webpages, or manuals for dummies that I could read so I at least have an idea of what I'm looking for, but I haven't really found anything. Is there anything you all know of that would give me a little more knowledge on what to expect on these trucks? I have a basic knowledge of whats going on and diesel trucks, so I'm looking for 24v specifics, things to look for, things to expect, etc. I understand I'll learn more as I read through the threads here, I just want to understand things before I chime in and sound like a dork.

Now I have a question about something on my truck I've seen. He told me he didn't bleed off the air when he changed the fuel filters last so the fuel pressure gauge bounces a bit. I haven't tried bleeding it off yet, but it does bounce, about 2-4 psi back and forth. And from what I've read with the mechanical lift pump I expected more pressure gain as I accelerate more, and I don't notice it much. What can I expect with this set up and what should I do about the bouncing pressure? Could it be the gauge? Are ISSPRO gauges decent gauges?

I am looking for some 17" rims to put on my Ram because the current tires aren't great and I have 17" Hankook ATMs Load Range E on my Sierra that have a ton of tread left and I'd hate to see them go. But I haven't found anything yet, but I'll have to do it quick before I sell my Sierra. I think I'll end up going with aftermarket, I think those will be just as cheap as buying stock take off's at this point. I'm looking towards something like the Ultra Motorsports Type 164.

What do you guys think about the set up I currently have?

Is there anything I should consider changing?

I do have some cash to play with, but anything I do right now is going to
have to be way worth my money because the cash I have is supposed to be for changing more things on my Harley and riding season is finally approaching!

Thanks for listening and any replies! Your help is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails New to Cummins town-ram1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
First off, welcome fellow Illinoisan!

Streator here just south of I80 middle or so of the state.

I'm a 12V kind of guy, so my space shuttle knowledge is kind of limited, but I did keep my buddy's 99 and 02 going for him.

Looking at that pump ( but no actual experience with them ), I would surmise some fluctuating in the pressure would be normal, it appears to be a gear type pump. As for pressure gain, I would not expect it unless the overflow valve could not accept the flow. Bleeding it should not make any difference, what would make a difference is to orifice it with either a snubber bolt like from genos, or adding a shutoff valve just barely cracked open.

ISSPRO gauges are good quality stuff.

As for adding more stuff, I won't go there. You have in my estimation, about the perfect combo, just upped a tick, which means you have the ability to shred driveline parts if you get stupid, but should be rock reliable, and get excellent fuel mileage. That thing should be PLENTY fast, and will break things before it quits pulling, assuming it is hooked up.

I would take that money you were going to spend on hot rodding it further and set it back for a possible VP44 pump.

One thing I would do, immediately is get yourself a factory service manual.

Unfortunately, Genos garage does not have it for your 2002 at the good guy price, so you will have to search one out.

How close to Streator are you?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:44 PM

I'm just down 80 to the West. I've been to Streator a couple times. I'm just 7 miles West of Princeton, so we're pretty close.

Ok I appreciate you looking into my truck. The way the gauge looks I'm not too worried about the pump, more so about the gauge I suppose. It almost bounces back and forth, I wouldn't expect a flow issue like that off the pump.

Are you saying to put an orifice bolt on it to choke it down and create more pressure? Like I said I don't quite understand everything yet. The pump does carry between 15-18 psi most of the time I would say and it seems to keep up.

Ok good, I'm glad the gauges are good. It really seems like the past owner really spent the money on decent parts when he changed something. And speaking of changing things, he did replace the VP44 last year so it's brand new, and he gave me the receipt for it too.

Thanks for the tip. It's not that I'm looking to make it crazy fast or anything I just didn't know if there were any cheaper mods or anything that everyone does for simple power or something. I'm not looking at pouring a ton of money in it right now so that's good!

I think I'm going to be tinting the front windows a tad, getting a Truxedo bed cover, and I'm looking at getting some aftermarket 17" rims to switch my tires. That's about the extent of what I want to spend money on right now.

And you're right, the truck is plenty fast!

I'll start looking for a factory service manual. I guess I wasn't thinking of the factory one. Thanks.

Thanks a bunch for the help! Hopefully this cold snap breaks soon! Geez!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Good to know, I get to Princeton to the gun show about 3 times a year..... Other than that, they chain me pretty well down at work.

As for the bolt or needle valve, no it will not change the pressure, what you are looking for is something to restrict the velocity of the fluid, so the pulse in pressure is shorter than the ability of the orifice to pass the pressure spike ( volume of fluid ) to the gauge. The 12 valve P7100 pump trucks are notorious for huge swings in pressure and you can kill a gauge pretty fast. The stock 24V electric pump wont do that, but you have what looks to be a gear pump, which I am assuming is throwing smaller pressure spikes, unless it is the bypass hunting back and forth. I guess I should have asked, is this a very fast oscillation of 2-4 lbs or more a rhythmic fluctuation of the gauge? If it takes say, a second to go back and forth, that very well could be the fuel bypass causing it.

Check your PM's.......
Old 02-28-2015, 09:57 PM

The gauge is a fast bounce back and forth. Really, I guess I should bleed it like he said and see if that does anything or not then worry about it. Haha. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
With 17" wheels you could upgrade to third gen brakes up front.

I have everything I need but my dad still has my 17" wheels over in MT with a set of stock Michelins he runs on his 94 in the summer.

Welcome to the site and thanks for serving our great nation!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 PM

Hey Six, that's great to know! Thank you, I'll keep it in mind!